RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Headlight adjustments

I just purchased a 2015 Berkshire 400RB and when driving at night the head lamps only show approximately 15-20 feet ahead of the coach. I had a dealer adjust the headlights but to no avail. I see there is a bolt on a slide bar at the back of the lamp assembly but not sure if that will adjust the headlights for proper adjustment. I have to use high beam headlights in order to see the road properly, and oncoming traffic doesn't complain while the high beams are on. Any advise as to how to correct this problem? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide
jmbrayaccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new coach. I have not tried adjusting the headlights on mine, but I do agree that they are pretty much worthless.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Headlight adjustment

Thanks for your post but don't understand how you can drive the coach at night unless you use high beam head lights How far can you see ahead with the low beams? Do you see a box on the ground using low beams?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

I've only driven at night on some well known roads. I also had to use the brights and fog lamps helped. I find even with the bright lights on it is not satisfactory. I do not travel at night if I can help it.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

I switched my headlights (low & High beam) to HID ones. They're extremely bright.

The kit sells for about $100 & can be installed in less than 30 minutes. You won't have to change your existing wiring at all since the power supply for the HID's plug into the existing lamp connector & the HID lamp is connected via the pigtail on the power supply.

Easy peasy.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #6

Headlight adjustments

Ceedog where did you get the kit? I was going to just change the bulbs to the brighter bulbs but this sounds better. Bum not familiar with this. Ore info please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Phil57

ijdmtoy.com is the website. Be sure to check for internet coupons to reduce the price even more.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Thanks for the link ceedog. I will dig through it and get the kit ordered. I don't remember what bulb I have in the Berk. Hopefully it helps because night driving with the current setup is not safe.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #9

ceedog, do you have a part number?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Before I making the jump to HIDs I decided to try Sylvania Silverstars (orange package). HUGE improvement. So much of an improvement I decided to not install HIDs.

You can buy them at Walmart/Autozone/etc and they are direct replacement for the bulbs already in place.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #11

Part # for the HID's is determined by the bulb. The low beam & high beam have different #'s.

I also changed my fog lamps to LED's (24 lamps). I took the old lamps to Pep Boys & matched them up. Pep boys also sells the entire fog lamp assembly that bolt right in.

I changed all of the rear lamps (brake, back-up, driving) to LED's. Got 'em at Pep Boys.

litebriteled.com has them for slightly less than what I paid for the LED lamps.

The only lamps I haven't changed yet are the side markers & the docking lamps.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedog View Post
Part # for the HID's is determined by the bulb. Pep boys also sells the entire fog lamp assembly that bolt right in.
Too late for me but good to know about the fog lamp. A stone got one of mine and FR would only sell them in pairs.
Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #13

I have same problem with my 2014 390rb been all up under trying to adjust lights after trip last week out of Atlanta. Light on bright shine out about 12 feet will look into
making change, but this should be a FR problem.
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #14

News flash on head lights, took mine in to a shop in pumkin center this is by Hammond,La to have oil changed and ask if he could adjust the head lights, he did and now can see great. He showed me were to do it there is a screw on the top that u turn to rise them not easy to get to but open Gen and it not to bad. Hope this helps
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Thanks to those who have provided info about upgraded bulbs. What I found with mine fog or driving lights seemed to be positioned about like I'd want low beams on the highway (and no one ever flashes lights at me) and low beams were more like fog lights. I decided that was probably less annoying to others in the city. So open road, esp divided highway i kick on the driving lights and carry on. My high beams seemed normal. Sounds like some have had bigger problems.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Too late for me but good to know about the fog lamp. A stone got one of mine and FR would only sell them in pairs.
Hank
You can buy the replacement headlight online from several vendors. It is a 2001-2003 Toyota Highlander headlight assembly.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #17

after seeing several responses about the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, I decided to investigate. The following video, comparing them is fantastic:

I see where their life is about 1/4 the regular bulbs and the light is definitely brighter and they appear to have better side lighting. I leave it to you to be the judge and especially those that already have them. For now I am on the side line.

Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #18

Hank
I put them on my F-150 in hopes of better night lighting. I think the improvement was marginal and not necessarily worth the price and potention life. The DW has xenon highlights on her BMW and they are remarkable. I wad hoping to get somewhat close to that level of lighting without the price.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #19

I do run the silverstars (regulars not ultras ) in my Tundra and Accord and do agree that the difference is not substantial in my city driving. However I do feel that rural and highway driving are an improvement over the original $10 bulbs.

Just DO NOT buy the cheap china made blue/white bulbs as they are not tested like the silverstars. Have had MANY customers come in with those bulbs installed and have melted harnesses and light housings as they pull enough power to melt everything but not enough to blow fuses. $$$$ bills.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #20

Does anyone have a part number for the Sylvania Silverstars headlamp replacements?

Tags
light