Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Headlight Failures

We have an "early" 2020 45A that still has the 2019 chassis. A few months ago the driver side headlight quit working (LED strip worked, but the headlight itself didn't). Replacing the bulb didn't fix the problem and FR ended up sending me a complete headlight assembly to swap out. This morning, I found that the same thing has now happened on the passenger side. I reached out to FR to get a new assembly for that side as well but I wanted to see if any other owners have encountered this. I find it a bit strange to have both headlights fail within 6 months of ownership and I'm a bit concerned that it is going to keep happening. Once the warranty is up, I'll be on the hook for buying them and they aren't cheap!
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

We had the same problem on our Berkshire: driver's side headlight wouldn't go to high beam low beam worked. We called FR they sent us a replacement headlight assembly but the new one had a broken adjusting mechanism. We contacted FR, sent the broken one back, they sent us a new headlight assembly and that one worked. Passenger side is still working ok (knock on wood!!)
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks, Rick. I spoke to Randy Alwine this morning and he said that they had a bad batch of headlight assemblies from the manufacturer a while back. Hopefully they're through that and the replacements they're sending me will last a while.

On the bright side, I now know more than I ever wanted to about how the headlights are attached
Old 08-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #4

I have a 2019 Berkshire XL 40D & I have had similar headlight problems. Last fall, the driver's side headlight would not work on DIM. The dealer replaced the entire light during winter service. Now the passenger headlight is doing the same thing. I've e-mailed FR asking that they send me a replacement.
tblome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

That's the same series of events that happened to me except that I did the first one myself. The passenger side replacement got here yesterday and I'll probably install it this weekend. They aren't too difficult to replace - there's actually quite a bit of room under there if you pull the generator slide out. Try and pay attention to where the mounting bolts were so you don't get the beams too far out of alignment.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

2019 45A We had the same problem on our 45A both headlights have been replaced. Another problem: The lights are also so dim at night they are completely worthless. We actually drive with the brights on so we can see. Even with the brights on it is hard to see and no other drivers coming at us even notice we have the brights on.
MacJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

2019 Berkshire XL 40D - purchased from MHSRV in December 2019. I have had to deal with 10 major issues on this coach since I purchased it and am still waiting for a replacement window (I have ended up fixing everything myself). The passenger light won't work on main beam (works on high beam) and I agree 100% that the lights are terrible - I have also been driving on high beam and no one has ever flashed me. Now waiting for a new light unit from FR under warranty.
vscr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Good luck with FR! We have had so many problems with our coach. Between Lazy Days and FR we are still waiting on fixes. Not little fixes. Major!! We purchased in May of 2019. In the first year it was in the shop over 300 days. We still don't have all the repairs done. The worst part no one cares!
Old 09-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #9

If I'd have left my coach with MHSRV it would still be there. After spending 2 frustrating days there for them to basically do nothing I brought it home and fixed the problems myself. (thanks to the "lockdown" in Texas) Issues we have had are as follows:
- MASTER BATHROOM WINDOW FRAME SEPARATED FROM GLASS
- 3RD AC NOT SET UP TO WORK ON PRECISION SYSTEM
- MASTER BATHROOM BLIND MISSING
- KITCHEN SINK DRAIN HOSE BROKEN
- SATELLITE CABLE CUT BEHIND WALL (THAT WAS A GOOD ONE TO FIX)
- PASSENGER HEADLAMP NOT WORKING ON DIM
- CAB PASSENGER VENTS NOT CONNECTED TO AC SYSTEM
- CAB HEATING VENTS NOT CONNECTED UNDER HOOD
- ROOF LEAKING AT REAR AC UNIT
- MAIN LIVING ROOM SLIDE NOT LOCKING IN PLACE
- REAR AC CONTROL MODULE FAILED (PRECISION - GREAT SERVICE)

I agree no one seems to care!
Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

My list is at least 10 times longer! But tell me more about your rear a/c unit leaking. This is one of the problems I have been telling them about and they say they fix, I go out and of course it is not fixed! I am really concerned that the roof is going to be compromised and mold will be an issue at this point. Its funny I keep reading about the same exact problems and when I talk to FR they act like this is the first time they have heard of the problem. The leak is much worse when we are in humid areas. I have tried to trouble shoot myself but my entire ceiling is saturated before it begins to drip. What is yours doing?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #11

I would like to dig into this. Who have you contacted at FRiver? Can you send me your last 6 of the vin so i can look up any history? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJosh View Post
Good luck with FR! We have had so many problems with our coach. Between Lazy Days and FR we are still waiting on fixes. Not little fixes. Major!! We purchased in May of 2019. In the first year it was in the shop over 300 days. We still don't have all the repairs done. The worst part no one cares!
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #12

Sounds like a lengthy list. Can you send me the dealer info and last 6 of your vin. I can look to see whats going on and why your not getting serviced. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscr99 View Post
If I'd have left my coach with MHSRV it would still be there. After spending 2 frustrating days there for them to basically do nothing I brought it home and fixed the problems myself. (thanks to the "lockdown" in Texas) Issues we have had are as follows:

Old 09-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #13

Got it, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maingler View Post
I would like to dig into this. Who have you contacted at FRiver? Can you send me your last 6 of the vin so i can look up any history? Thanks
Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Got it, ill contact you tomorrow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maingler View Post
Sounds like a lengthy list. Can you send me the dealer info and last 6 of your vin. I can look to see whats going on and why your not getting serviced. Thanks
Old 09-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vscr99 View Post

Window vent is on its way. Easypeasy to change!
Expect it in the next couple days. Also sent you a couple Berkshire mugs and cooler for your trouble..we will discuss the mixup with MHS. Sorry for the issues, Thanks for being understanding!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #16

Sounds like things may be moving in the right direction. Would love to hear some follow up info.
2022 Host
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #17

Berkshire XL Problems

Well all I can say is a big thanks for the guys and gals at Forest River. I received the window vent and that is now replaced and I also received the replacement headlamp, which is also replaced and working fine. The cooler and mugs were a very nice surprise and very well received.

My advice to any owners having issues - go direct to FR!
Old 09-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #18
Commercial Member

VSCR99 Glad things worked out well for you. Forest River Berkshire stands behind their product and we always put our customers first and foremost. Happy and safe travels.
Lincman983 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light