Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 06:47 AM   #1

Headlights on Berkshire 2020

Returned last night from a lengthy run. The headlights on my coach are terrible. The passenger side low beam is out and previous posts I have read state this is a Forest River issue in the housing. I drove the last 3 hours strictly on high beams. My 20 year old beat up Kubota tractor has better lights. Regardless of the fix that FR might “help” with, does anyone have an upgrade recommendation. Not just bulb, but really good upgrade that will allow good night driving. The coach was stupid dark to drive last night. Amazing that it even meets DOT specs.
aagillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagillis View Post
Returned last night from a lengthy run. The headlights on my coach are terrible. The passenger side low beam is out and previous posts I have read state this is a Forest River issue in the housing. I drove the last 3 hours strictly on high beams. My 20 year old beat up Kubota tractor has better lights. Regardless of the fix that FR might “help” with, does anyone have an upgrade recommendation. Not just bulb, but really good upgrade that will allow good night driving. The coach was stupid dark to drive last night. Amazing that it even meets DOT specs.
Not sure what you are looking for here? The first thing I would do if it was my coach is take the coach in to a dealer and have the head lights fixed on the low beam, and see if the head lights are adjusted right. The head lights might need to be adjusted. We have not gotten a lot of complaints on the Berkshire headlights since they have went to individual lights. You can always contact Andy in the parts department at 574-3270-2197. Depending on where you are travelling I have seen customer add a light bar in the past.

Please note that different product lines and different model years of coaches will use different headlights. so reading post about a 2019 Berkshire XL or XLT will not be the same head lights as what your coach is equipped the same. Also I bet your 20 year old Kubota doesn't drive at high way speeds.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

More info on the lights

Thanks Eric for the info. I'm wondering if there are upgrades to the lighting assembly or if I should get a better bulb, and if so, which.

Regarding the broken one, it is a single bulb PROJECTOR assembly (2020 Berkshire XL 40D) with a single filament. Passenger (left) Bulb works ONLY on high beam, not low beam. Bulb is a H9 bulb.

Questions: What is the problem here? Is this an issue with the housing, ie, the shutter is not working correctly? I have read that some of the 2019-2020 Berkshires had an issue with the assemblies, but there is very little info.

Back to the Kubota tractor - my poor tractor is hoping for some winter upgrades. Her lighting is getting pretty dim! As for the coach, she is dim dim, driving fast or slow!
Old 10-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagillis View Post
Thanks Eric for the info. I'm wondering if there are upgrades to the lighting assembly or if I should get a better bulb, and if so, which.

Regarding the broken one, it is a single bulb PROJECTOR assembly (2020 Berkshire XL 40D) with a single filament. Passenger (left) Bulb works ONLY on high beam, not low beam. Bulb is a H9 bulb.

Questions: What is the problem here? Is this an issue with the housing, ie, the shutter is not working correctly? I have read that some of the 2019-2020 Berkshires had an issue with the assemblies, but there is very little info.

Back to the Kubota tractor - my poor tractor is hoping for some winter upgrades. Her lighting is getting pretty dim! As for the coach, she is dim dim, driving fast or slow!
Whats the last 7 of the vin for the coach? Feel free to send me a private message if you would not like to post it.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #5

Thanks Eric. Sent PM with VIN
Old 10-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
BMullins46

You do know that light bulbs are a owner maintenance item don't you? Any Walmart, Auto Zone, etc. will have bulbs available. If replacing the bulb doesn't fix the problem THEN contacting the folks on here would be the thing to do.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
You do know that light bulbs are a owner maintenance item don't you? Any Walmart, Auto Zone, etc. will have bulbs available. If replacing the bulb doesn't fix the problem THEN contacting the folks on here would be the thing to do.
Couldn’t agree more Bill. That might be why I made sure I noted that the bulb was in working order and requested information on possible causes for fixture failure. Once the fixture is repaired, I would like to upgrade to better bulbs and/or better lenses.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
BMullins46

Ok aagillis, Did not see in your original post that the bulbs had been checked and were in working order. Good luck getting it fixed, have you been in contact with Freightliner about the lights? Seems to me that the units I've seen had the Freightliner front clip on them.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:31 AM   #9

Headlights?

Oh my.
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
BMullins46

In rereading this post are we talking a Class A unit here?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

Yes, a 2020 Berkshire is definitely a type A. Also, the headlight assembly is supplied by the coach manufacturer and not freightliner.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
BMullins46

Thanks. My bad for previous posts.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #13

Hi Bill, Yes its a Class A diesel.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #14

Nothing bad there! All help is appreciated!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #15

aag,,

Search the forum & you'll find many good ideas for improving headlight illumination. I chose to go with HIDs. Got them from Amazon & they're plug & play based on your bulb number. They're an amazing improvement.

Also keep in mind that since you are sitting higher in the RV, the illumination of your headlights will be different from what you may be used to in your car/truck.

Good luck & let us know what you choose to do to fix it.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #16

I understand your frustration. I talked to freightliner and they said lights are Berkskire responsibility. I had to crawl Under unit to fix lights on my 2021 45a xlt. What a pain to align. Mine pointed straight down from factory they are aligned now but still poor on lighting Good luck
Mark
Old 10-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #17

headlights

There are better lights out there, we had front end damage and both headlights had to be replaced. Lazy Days Tampa did the repair, I don't know what kind or where they got them but the replacements are 10 times better than the originals!!

2019 Berkshire 40D
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #18

aag,

Don't know if you've resolved your issue yet but here's a link to a site that sells complete headlight assemblies.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #19

Are the low beams a projector style housing? They are on my 2012 Georgetown. I installed a set of LEDs on both the high and low beams. The difference is night and day (no pun intended). Just look at the bulb to get the number.
I never liked driving mine at night, now I love to drive at night.
I also replaced my driving lights with a set of replacement Wrangler LED driving lights. Don’t know if the Berkshire has driving lights and if so what type.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #20

I too upgraded my 2013 Berkshire 390RB to LEDs on the low, high beam and fog lights. The difference is amazing.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, light