Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

heat pump / furnace

2012 Berkshire 390BH
a/c units ,,front unit has a heat pump setting on the Dometic t /stat and works fine.
Rear unit has a furnace setting (no heat pump setting) and no heat seems
to come out, even when set to 80.
I called dometic and they said to check the dip switches on the unit.
Climb on roof and remove a/c cover ??
Any ideas ?? Thanks 215-771-3030
denniswinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Do you have propane and is the tank turned on? Can you hear any clicking (indicating that the furnace trying to light) when you turn it on? Does the fan for the furnace come on? Just thinking out loud here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Our Berk only has a heat pump on the front a/c unit the rear unit is a/c only and furnace separate from either and uses propane. Our's is located under the washer and dryer mid coach. You can look for the exhaust on the outside of the coach to give you an idea where it might be on yours. Heat comes out of registers on the floor in ours.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Same here. 2013 390BH
The front unit is AC with a heat pump while the rear is just AC. We have a front and rear furnace that uses LP gas.

If you set the Zone 2 to furnace (and the temp is cold enough) the unit should come on. The heat will come from the floor vents.

If it isn't working check your LP. If you have gas, then you might reset the controller/thermostat to see if that fixes it. I have had to reset mine before. (I had to look it up on the manual.)
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Team Bleu

I have the same problem in my Georgetown was told Furnace is not big enough. Very little heat cones out of the floor vents. I travel with a small portabl Hester to plug in when I'm in cooler weather
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

My 08 has a heat pump on both front and rear units.... Guess that's another feature they cut out on later coaches....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #7

As well as having your propane turned on the propane detector must be on and functional or no gas will get to the furnace. As for the dip switches they are accessible from the inside of the coach. You need to remove the gril from the AC and the is a enclose under it with a PC card where the switches are located. I have no idea how they should be set for your set up as I have the same configuration as ernest917.

The furnace also has an on/off switch. It is on the outside wall side of the coach where you cannot get to without removing the unit. Perhaps they forgot to turn it on at the factory. I have read that that has happen to several people.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

Dennis
Did your question get answered? We are all waiting to hear from you.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBsRedVett View Post
I have the same problem in my Georgetown was told Furnace is not big enough. Very little heat cones out of the floor vents. I travel with a small portabl Hester to plug in when I'm in cooler weather

I'd check for loose alum duct hose. One may be adrift and dumping only to the basement. Not uncommon to come off furnace supply nipples.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswinokur View Post
2012 Berkshire 390BH
a/c units ,,front unit has a heat pump setting on the Dometic t /stat and works fine.
Rear unit has a furnace setting (no heat pump setting) and no heat seems
to come out, even when set to 80.
I called dometic and they said to check the dip switches on the unit.
Climb on roof and remove a/c cover ??
Any ideas ?? Thanks 215-771-3030

I was told once, a while ago, that it is just a matter of setting the right dip switches. I never could find any followup, though. It makes sense since both of my dometic units are identical models. I don't know if the thermostat would recognize the heat pump without some type of reprogramming. Also wonder whether FR chose not to hook these up because of some thought of increased electrical load or other consideration.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #11

The dip switches are accessed by taking the shroud off the ac. You need to get on the roof of your coach to do this. There is a silver colored metal box with a computer board that has several dip switches. I don't recall which switch needs to be set for the heat pump to be available. Once that is done you need to 'reboot' the system for it to recognize the new setup. If you give Dometic a call, they should be able to give you the information you need.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

Tom, how did I know that you would have the answer, buddy? You are a wealth of info! Have you done this on yours?

Rich
Old 01-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #13

Rich,
Yes, I have done this a couple of times. The last time when I picked my current coach. Ordered with 2 15k ac's and of course it came with a 15k in the rear and a 13.5 in the front. After they changed it, no heat pump in the front showed up. Very easy to fix. Hardest park was getting on the roof. Remove the shroud from the ac, take the cover off the box containing the circuit board, set the dip switch, put everything back together, reboot the system and all was we'll.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #14

Not sure if I am reading your question correctly. Are you trying to operate your furnace from the rear t-stat? I believe the the furnace is only connected to one t-stat. Have you tried switching the front t-stat to furnace? Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

If you are talking about a rear thermostat that controls the vent fan on our unit. The furnace and heat pump are controlled by the same thermostat mounted mid coach on ours.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #16

Sounds like you guys are saying that the newer Berkshires (2014) come with two roof AC units capable of heat pump operation but only the front heat pump is activated. And that all we have to do to activate the rear heat pump operation is flip some switches. Am i understanding this correctly?
Old 01-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #17

I asked Mike at FR if my 2015 had a rear HP and he said no and unless you order it special only the front AC unit has a HP.

Wayne
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #18

Wayne is correct. Unless it is ordered with 2 heat pump ac's. only the front unit will have it. They are 2 different ac units and they need to be built with a heat pump option in order for it to be available to the thermostat.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #19

I guess I can't say for sure unless I get up there, but when dometic sent info for extended warranty after a year, all documentation on the two units that they sent me (except for serial numbers) was identical.

Rich
Old 01-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #20

NOT a cut

[QUOTE=ernest917;1066774]My 08 has a heat pump on both front and rear units.... Guess that's another feature they cut out on later coaches....

This is an option, it is nothing that was "cut" or taken away. Most dealers order the options that are routinely demanded, or that add glitz and bang for the buck. They want to hold the price down, so they do not order options that do not "jump out at you" when you see it at a show or on a lot.

Tags
furnace, pump