RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Help - Wt. Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
That sounds like my 390FL.
But, I found out my tires are upgraded to 275's.
The guys at Forest River said there should be a tag on the axle that would tell me if its been upgraded too. Haven't crawled under there yet to see.


2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster

Get a flashlight and look under the Moho. The tag in center facing the front. Can be seen without getting under it.
Also if you call FL they should be able to tell you what service work was done to your Moho if the work was done at a FL, Allison or Cummins shop. The upgrade would have been done at a FL shop or at FR factory.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
I got an email from Randy say when my coach left them it was under by 1100 lbs had it weight yesterday 10320 lbs, what I'm I dining wrong. The weight was taken with no- one inside?
For anyone to say that an empty moho is under the weight limits and is okay, is ridiculous. You bought the moho to travel in and carry things. Of course, you cannot carry an elephant.

Berkshires with GWAR Front Axle ratings of 10,410 lbs (the steer axle) are of the greatest concern. When you submit your weights to FR, you need not and should not submit them fully empty. Your weight should be with full propane, full DEF, full diesel and at least 1/2 fresh water, and two passengers. That is what I submitted and got the upgrade. Even if this weight is slightly under, you still need to carry your lunch and a few goodies - LOL

Berkshires with the 340 hp engine have a GWAR Rear Axle of 17,500lbs. It is easy to over-load this axle as well. FR is not as concerned with this axle since it is not the steer axle. I see where the new model Berkshire (not XL or XLT) have vinyl floors and not ceramic. This saves a lot of weight.

I would suggest that anyone with a 10,410 FA rating (except maybe the new Berks), should get a tire and axle upgrade.

I have been tooting my horn for a long time that everyone should get their moho weighed to see where it stands and also then know how to properly inflate the tires to handle the load. Also, never purchase a moho without beforehand having it weighed - Amen
Hank
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
jmgllt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
For anyone to say that an empty moho is under the weight limits and is okay, is ridiculous. You bought the moho to travel in and carry things. Of course, you cannot carry an elephant.



Berkshires with GWAR Front Axle ratings of 10,410 lbs (the steer axle) are of the greatest concern. When you submit your weights to FR, you need not and should not submit them fully empty. Your weight should be with full propane, full DEF, full diesel and at least 1/2 fresh water, and two passengers. That is what I submitted and got the upgrade. Even if this weight is slightly under, you still need to carry your lunch and a few goodies - LOL



Berkshires with the 340 hp engine have a GWAR Rear Axle of 17,500lbs. It is easy to over-load this axle as well. FR is not as concerned with this axle since it is not the steer axle. I see where the new model Berkshire (not XL or XLT) have vinyl floors and not ceramic. This saves a lot of weight.



I would suggest that anyone with a 10,410 FA rating (except maybe the new Berks), should get a tire and axle upgrade.



I have been tooting my horn for a long time that everyone should get their moho weighed to see where it stands and also then know how to properly inflate the tires to handle the load. Also, never purchase a moho without beforehand having it weighed - Amen

Hank

Ok here is the update, Randy sent me an email saying that I do need the upgrade. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions in rectifying this situation.
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Good to hear! Forest River Diesel is absolutely the best there is. In large part due to the people that work there. Thanks again Randy and company.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
Da bomb dot com, can't say it enough.
__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
fredhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 156
Listening the team, I finally got my rig weighed. Here's my weight's as of today with the following qualifiers:
1/2 fuel; full DEF, full propane, 3/4 water, black/grey tanks empty, driver onboard (210#)
loaded for travel except empty fridge.
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

Front axle:10,260#
Rear axle :17,500#
Total Wt. : 27,760#
Any thoughts from the weight police?
__________________
Fred Hardy
Phoenix, AZ
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
Listening the team, I finally got my rig weighed. Here's my weight's as of today with the following qualifiers:
1/2 fuel; full DEF, full propane, 3/4 water, black/grey tanks empty, driver onboard (210#)
loaded for travel except empty fridge.
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

Front axle:10,260#
Rear axle :17,500#
Total Wt. : 27,760#
Any thoughts from the weight police?
Fred what size tires do you currently have on your coach ?
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 741
They should be 275/70R/22.5, Goodyear G670RV. That's what was on my same unit.


Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
fredhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 156
Yes - 275/70R/22.5 is the size.
__________________
Fred Hardy
Phoenix, AZ
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
accumack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 522
You most likely have a 12,000 lbs from axle so you should have no problems.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Fred it's great that you got your Moho weighed as I believe everyone should. That said you don't have a weight issue. Nine is expected with the 2014 390 or 400 or 40 or whatever they called them. The fix was done after the 2011-2013 390's had so much problem.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #72
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Over??

CAT Scale totals
Front axle 10,180
Rear 17,600
Total 27780

'11 Berk 390bh-340

Fuel fuel, no supplies, driver only.
255/80/22.5 tires.

Sticker says
Front 10,410
Rear 17,500


What do you all think? Anyone have an email for Randy if you think I need it?

Semper Fi!
mrcerretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #73
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,470
Rhouser@forestriverinc.com
__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185 days: 2018 182 days
2019: 156 days (2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad)
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
tnbendr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In our coach
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Not all units are over weight. I'm not sure they would know which units to recall other than the 390-RB Berkshire. Only some of the others are affected like the 390-BH. Forest River is correcting the issue at their expense even ones that are out of warranty. Other manufacturers have a weight problem but won't do anything about it. I think Phil was the first to discover it. I didn't know until I decided get my coach weighed due to seeing some being pulled into a portable inspection station with portable scales here in Temecula CA and decided to know my weight.
I didn't know you live in Temecula!?
__________________
Ben & Michelle
2015 Berkshire 38A
2005 Jeep Wrangler toad
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
accumack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 522
We are wintering in Sage just east of Temecula and have a view of Murietta from our place. We are hitting the road late April early May.We are heading to New Mexico probably around Chama.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
tnbendr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In our coach
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
We are wintering in Sage just east of Temecula and have a view of Murietta from our place. We are hitting the road late April early May.We are heading to New Mexico probably around Chama.
Are you in tucalota springs? My neighbor used to store his toy box there.

Now you said you've seen RV's being pulled over for weight checks? CHP?
__________________
Ben & Michelle
2015 Berkshire 38A
2005 Jeep Wrangler toad
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
accumack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 522
We were at Tucalota for a year. We bought some land and built a manufactured home and RV barn for winter. We are members at several wineries if you get in the area let me know. Yes it was CHP with portable scales they were on Rancho California road near Barons food market. It's been 6-7 months since I saw them. Where are you from?
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #78
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
Listening the team, I finally got my rig weighed. Here's my weight's as of today with the following qualifiers:
1/2 fuel; full DEF, full propane, 3/4 water, black/grey tanks empty, driver onboard (210#)
loaded for travel except empty fridge.
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

Front axle:10,260#
Rear axle :17,500#
Total Wt. : 27,760#
Any thoughts from the weight police?

You should be good as it's a 2014 and it appears they fixed the issue for the 14 model year.
My 2014 has a front axle rating for 12k lbs and a rear axle rating for 19k lbs.
I also have the 275/70 tires mentioned.
The information on your axles and tires should be in the two small cabinets above the driver seat.
ChuckandJennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcerretti View Post
CAT Scale totals
Front axle 10,180
Rear 17,600
Total 27780

'11 Berk 390bh-340

Fuel fuel, no supplies, driver only.
255/80/22.5 tires.

Sticker says
Front 10,410
Rear 17,500


What do you all think? Anyone have an email for Randy if you think I need it?

Semper Fi!
I believe you meant full fuel; right? You put your wife in, any other passengers, cargo and some fresh water; you will definitely be over weight. Request from FR the tire and axle upgrade.
Hank
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #80
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 83
Looking hard at berk 38a and this is one of my main concerns...limited carrying capacity. Amazing so many coaches have so limited capacity. Certainly not just a berk issue either...some Dutch stars recently had a similar thing I believe
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.