Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfellow View Post
Update I called Girard and they gave me some pointers none of them worked. They gave me an upgrade to the Gen3 new unit for $500 which I felt was fair. Goes in Wednesday 7 day trip starts Friday!
Cool, hope you like it. We have yet to travel with our Gen. 3, but have tested it to the hilt in the driveway and love it. We leave on a 2 month trip to the Canadian Rockies in a few days. Looking forward to not fiddling with hot water so much.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #22

ND fellow

I was not offered an upgrade by the Girard engineer however I did find him very helpful.

After fighting with that stupid heater for several years and attempting ever possible fix discussed on this forum .... the engineer hand held me thru a long drawn out testing process. It involved digital thermometers, measuring cups and stop watches.

At the end of the day, he provided me with the very simple fix that I outlined up above.

The fix coat me next to nothing and took less than 30 minutes to put in place.

This past weekend we were camping with that outside temp at slightly over 40 degrees f. For the first time since buying my 390BH in 2011 I had a shower that needed to be turned down because it was far too hot. Once the temp was set, the 4 of us had back to back showers. .. with no worries of running cold.

It took a hell of a long time but now that the system works ... I like it

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #23

I talked with girard tech just last week , talked to him about the bypass. He told me he would not recommend , it void the warranty. An after a time will burn up burner cause it's always on high. Just relating what I was told
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #24

Funny that they are changing their tune. The Girard engineer told me that the bypass changes the system from and auto/low setting to a high/low setting. You still have a switch on the main panel that allows you to drop the burner down to a low setting. Up here in the great white north the ground temp remains quite cold so the low setting does not often come into play. In a place lice Arizona or Southern California it could be a different story.

The recommendations were based on a number of tests and many measurements .... it is entirely possible that the conclusion would have been very different down south.

GOOD POINT
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #25

It is interesting, I am in Ga. Dealer is in Fl. But tech never asked me, this is not to say I will not try the bypass , like you said you would be controlling the flame on dial inside the coach. With gen 3. Is that not what there doing anyway? Thanks
Great conversation
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #26

I think the manufacturer is giving you two different suggestions because you have two different Generations of water heater.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
It is interesting, I am in Ga. Dealer is in Fl. But tech never asked me, this is not to say I will not try the bypass , like you said you would be controlling the flame on dial inside the coach. With gen 3. Is that not what there doing anyway? Thanks
Great conversation
Gen III flame is controlled by a temp. sensor on the output side of the heat exchanger. So far, works very well.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #28

Ok. Maybe next step. Except I have to do a new door I understand
Thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Ok. Maybe next step. Except I have to do a new door I understand
Thanks
That is true. I painted my own, some take it to an RV paint shop.

Check on the Legacy forum under "On-Demand Water Heater". On page two I posted a list of materials for the change out to Gen. III, and a few pictures. Hopefully your heater has good access to the rear so the plumbing won't be a pain. Mine was easy.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #30

Yes, it a 2015 Charleston. In bathroom under washer/dryer there's a pop out panel an you can see the whole back ofHeater , I'll check out your post, thank you.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #31

Read an seen your install nicely done, so my big question is now that you have it, like a home tankless can you control hot by introducing cold into flow with no problem
Thank you
Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Read an seen your install nicely done, so my big question is now that you have it, like a home tankless can you control hot by introducing cold into flow with no problem
Thank you
Yes is the short answer. Flow rate and incoming water temp. does not effect it. You set the outgoing temp. you want on the LCD screen and it seems to hold it perfectly within a degree or so.

I have tested it to death in the driveway with all different flowrates and temperatures. Even moved into the motorhome for a week just to make absolutely sure we were happy with it and we are. No travel yet, leaving in a day or two for a couple months at least to the Canadian Rockies and down the west coast.

We endured all the issues you have described with your Gen. II and I finally threw in the towel and made the change.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #33

Sounds great.
Have a good time
Thanks
Hopefully put an end to
( Honey There's No Hot Water)
Lol
Old 05-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #34

OMG get rid of the Gen 1 Gerard. There is hot water on the other side. The new Gen 3 is awesome wish I would have done sooner!
ndfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:12 AM   #35

Thanks, going to make the call Tuesday.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #36

If anyone needs parts or a G1 I have one I'd part with!
ndfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #37

I have a complete G2 sitting in my garage. No issues with it other than it's a G2. One year old and was carefully removed.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater