Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

House battery boil off

Anyone know about what the average electrolyte loss should be on house batts?? On the four batteries (total) I'm losing about two quarts of liquid per month. Is this acceptable, or am I STILL over charging??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Sounds like too much, we may lose that amount in a year. We put Pro-fill battery watering system on the batteries and it makes it so easy to fill to the proper level.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Anyone know about what the average electrolyte loss should be on house batts?? On the four batteries (total) I'm losing about two quarts of liquid per month. Is this acceptable, or am I STILL over charging??

Boowho??
Your converter should not be charging unless it is needed to keep your batts up. It does not sound like it is shutting off. This is NOT acceptable as you are or more likely have alright fried your batts.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

had my 36 ckts plugged in for 4 months straight and only lost about a quart
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Boowho??
That sounds like too much loss. This seems to me like the converter/charger might not be getting out of bulk mode for some reason. Under normal operation, after the battery bank reaches a full charge, the voltage drops to avoid damaging the batteries. This could be for a number of reasons, but I suggest that you measure the voltage at the fuse board during the various modes to verify.

(As an example of voltage levels in various modes, see the basic chart below for ouput voltages of WFCO converters).

What model converter is in your MH?
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Bill,

Sounds like a bit much. Good timing, I am just going to top mine up today and I filled them just over a month ago now. I'll let you know how much they take....stay tuned. And for reference it has pretty much been plugged in for that entire time.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Sounds like too much, we may lose that amount in a year. We put Pro-fill battery watering system on the batteries and it makes it so easy to fill to the proper level.

I have a watering system too. And I also added the optional Magnum control panel to better monitor and change parameters in the inverter/charger.

I cut the charge rate down to 50% and it did stop the out-gassing and liquid on top of the batts, which was really bad at first.

Maybe I need to lower it some more. The new control panel display will show zero amps a good bit of the time; which I assume means that no charging is going on. It's almost always in float mode too.

If I need to cut the charge rate even more, to stop the boil off completely, then I'd say my Magnum is really out of adjustment.

Thanks all. Sure glad I have all these issues; give me something to keep me busy, off the streets and out of trouble.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

.....So I just topped mine off after the time I mentioned above. Used about 3/4 liter of water. Don't have any optional charger stuff like your new control panel or anything, just the standard stuff it came with. Filled to within about 1 1/4" from top.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery