Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

House Battery Replacement

Our house batteries need replaced in our Berkshire. My coach is currently parked, when stored, without access to power. After I replace the batteries how do I make sure I keep them charged and healthy for extended down times. I usually run the generator at least twice and month to keep it healthy. Will charging them through the generator be enough? I do shut off the batteries at the battery compartment but I do have some parasitic draw from the Co2 alarm. Suggestions?
Old 05-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

Of the small items you have connected and the fact you run the generator a few times a month, you should be okay. but to be safe, you could simply connect a small suitcase solar panel to your battery bank and it will trickle charge your battery when in storage.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 20[/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #3

When stored, remove the parasitic drains of the battery by either removing the negative cable(s) between the RV and the batterie or by installing a complete disconnect switch on the negative terminal. Why do you need a smoke alarm or a CO alarm when the RV is in storage and unoccupied? Who is going to be there to hear the alarm? A fully charged lead acid battery in good health is good for at least 6 months storage without any loads on it. Reconnecting it and topping off the charge with the generator every 30-90 days is perfect.

When I left for deployment in the Navy, my two cars were stored in one storage unit and one outdoor lot. I removed the negative cable from the battery terminal. After 9 months on both cars I simply reconnected the negative cable to the battery and both cars started right up and no harm was done to the batteries.

My little 10AH battery on my home emergency generator gets recharged every 60-90 days by a generator maintenance run. It has never failed to start the generator in two years.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfam5 View Post
Our house batteries need replaced in our Berkshire. My coach is currently parked, when stored, without access to power. After I replace the batteries how do I make sure I keep them charged and healthy for extended down times. I usually run the generator at least twice and month to keep it healthy. Will charging them through the generator be enough? I do shut off the batteries at the battery compartment but I do have some parasitic draw from the Co2 alarm. Suggestions?
What type of batteries do you plan to replace the current type with? Also if you are replacing the batteries the best thing you can do is make sure to maintain them properly. if you are using a lead acid, make sure you do not run them so low that is damages the battery cell's. my guess would be that the batteries are old, and may have some damaged cell's on them. A lot of customers will suggest the interstate lead acid batteries, or go will an AGM when they replace the batteries. Just know that if you replace the batteries with AGM batteries, you may have to change some setting around on the inverter/charger or if you have installed any solar controllers.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am replacing with lead acid and will keep track of the water level.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Here is a battery print that might help with your battery replacement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BERK REAR POWER DIST PRINT.pdf (268.0 KB, 45 views)
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincman983 View Post
Here is a battery print that might help with your battery replacement

Thanks Lincman983. I replaced them the same way they came out, so hopefully the factory got it right or previous owner didn’t change anything. I’m keeping this for future issues. Locations of those fuses will be handy.

Tags
battery, replacement