Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #41

Phil,
Unless things have changed, the solenoid should be on the starter motor.

ps- pm'd you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #42

Glad you got it straightened out, Boo. Just another lesson that we all learned here......

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #43

Seems like there is a strict sequence of how these coaches need to be started. Or not ? Should be picking ours up in a week or so. Doesn't sound though like you can just hop in like a regular car / truck and go.
Do the manuals that come with the coach spell it all out?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Ford, it was one of your very suggestions.... Is it in neutral??

I stupidly thought I'd already checked something so simple. Yet, that was exactly the problem.

I couldn't have MORE egg on my face.... I might just as well have shoved my face right up the chicken's...... Never mind.

Luckily, since I keep no REAL schedule the possible effects of my THREE hour delay was minimal. So we ran 24 miles east on I80 in Wy and are stopped at a Flying J for the night in Rawliins, WY.

A most heartfelt thanks to all that helped.

Boowho??
Got a call one day from my mom, her caddy would not start.
Grabbed the tool box and drove to her location.
Noticed right away it was in drive.
She said "but I checked that!"

Yes mom I am sure you did, it must have slipped and you did not notice it.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Seems like there is a strict sequence of how these coaches need to be started. Or not ? Should be picking ours up in a week or so. Doesn't sound though like you can just hop in like a regular car / truck and go.

Joe I don't remember reading about the starting sequence. It's not that difficult. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature.

If your jacks are deployed along with the slides.

Bring in slides while still connected to shore power.
Crank engine. Give it time to air up. I usually go unplug shore power while this is going on.
Once you hear the relief valve discharge, you can retract jacks and let the air bags fill. I usually walk around the coach making sure the jacks are retracting. Once the air bags are filled the relief valve will discharge again.
Now you are ready to roll out.

Seems like a lot to do but it's really not. DW sits in the drivers seat and handles the ignition and jack control pad. I do the outside stuff.

Easy peasy.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #46

One last thing, Joe; you do not have a gasser, you have a diesel engine. That means when you turn the key to on, there is a symbol for the glow plugs on the panel. Wait for it to go out and then crank the engine. You also probably have an engine heater for when it is very cold, which may be necessary to use to get it perking!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #47

What is this cold you speak of? I suggest if it's cold enough to use a block heater just go south.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdavis View Post
Glad it was a simple fix and you are back on the road Boo!

Now I can hijack the thread! 😜

What do you mean by the "bucking bronc" issue?

I have yet to experience that, it sounds like fun but I'm guessing it is undesirable.

Terry

Terry & Kim
Dallas, Texas
2015 Berkshire 38A
2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Not sure if someone else answered, but.....

Occasionally, depending mostly on the order you follow when raising the jacks (start engine first, let pressure build up) your airbags won't inflate. The ride is incredibly rough; feels like you have no suspension at all. I don't know why mine did it yesterday; had plenty of air pressure so should not have been a problem.

Part of me getting "rattled" (so as not to think clearly) was the DW immediately started screaming 'cause she thought the jacks were down. If you ever have it happen, there will be NO doubt what is is.
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #49

So curiosity is getting the best of me and I need to ask Boowho where he's presently located. Probably has said in another thread where he was heading but my memory's not what it use to be.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Seems like a lot to do but it's really not. DW sits in the drivers seat and handles the ignition and jack control pad. I do the outside stuff.

Easy peasy.
Just the opposite at my house..... DW likes doing all that stuff, since she MAY have to do it by herself someday. And it's damn sure OK with me!!

Boowho??
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
So curiosity is getting the best of me and I need to ask Boowho where he's presently located. Probably has said in another thread where he was heading but my memory's not what it use to be.
Buena Vista, CO; high in the Rockies. I'm full time, will be here until the end of September when I start working my way toward Yuma, AZ for December, January and February.

Boowho??
Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Joe it's not that big of a deal. You really need to do a walk around inspection immediately before pulling out; don't forget to look UP as well as down. Make sure all doors are secure; your electric cable is stowed (don't laugh; people HAVE driven off with it connected), etc. Just take it slow and use common sense.

As far as starting; you cannot retract the slides with the ignition on. So, pull them in.... Then start the coach and let it air up; either watch the gauges for listen for the air governor to "blow off". Last hit "retract all" on the jack panel.

We keep a small notepad stuck to the refrigerator of key items we're most likely to forget. For example, I pull the 12V plug that powers my Winegard antenna, so it's not searching continuously while I'm driving and burning up the motor. That could be easy to forget.

When I had my problem the other day, it was mostly due to my getting rattled and not thinking clearly.

Having said that, however, driving a coach is NOT the same as just jumping in a car and taking off. Everything should be slow, deliberate and thoughtful.

Good Luck

Boowho??
Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What is this cold you speak of? I suggest if it's cold enough to use a block heater just go south.
X2

Boowho??
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Buena Vista, CO; high in the Rockies. I'm full time, will be here until the end of September when I start working my way toward Yuma, AZ for December, January and February.

Boowho??

Very nice country out that way. Went out a few years ago to watch our son do a race in Leadville, not far from there.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40