Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #21

I have in place the “Ernest Rule”!!!

No one removes my engine cover but Ernest.... He’s the only one I trust to not damage ANYTHING back there.... Plus I know he won’t lose screws, etc....

I’ve yet to run into a shop that challenges that RULE...

Every one of us needs to know how to remove that dang thing anyway.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #22

How many people have serviced their Crankcase breather filter under the bed?

In an earlier post, I had only opened half of the engine and showed a photograph of what was still covered. I noted that there was a service item covered up. I looked into this more closely and realized that it is a Crankcase Breather Coalescing Filter, Fleetguard CV50633.

The Cummins Diesel doesn’t seem to be like a car with a simple PCV valve that redirects crankcase fumes into the intake manifold to be burned. Instead, the Cummins diesel has a coalescing filter that condenses the oil out of the crankcase vapour and lets it drip back to the crankcase. This is why it is a sloped box at the back of the engine.

I’m not completely sure how the filter works, but there is standard looking filter material that collects dust. This must let air back into the crankcase. I’m not sure where any remaining vapour goes, since the filter does not have an oily residue.

Anyway, this puppy is supposed to be changed every 2 or 3 oil changes, so my 2015 coach was overdue for its first change. Given the difficulty of accessing the filter, I wonder how many people are just ignoring this service item. If you hire a mechanic to do it, you have to trust them to get appropriate access under the bed without making a mess. If you do it yourself, you might be in for a big job if you have something like my 2015 34QS.

BTW, the case around the filter is plastic and the screws that hold it are shouldered and captured by the case. This is a nice touch, since dropping one of the screws would be really annoying.

—Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, roo