Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

How to store it?

Ok, I know I should have it out on the road right now instead of parked, but we're saving up for some more fuel! ;-)

In the meantime, I have two questions about parking it:

1. Should I park it with the jacks extended to remove some weight from the tires, or is that going to have a negative impact on the jacks? I'm not talking about lifting it off the ground, just leveling it up.

2. Someone told me the other day that "all the tire guys say" to park on boards under the tires. Does that make a difference? I'm already covering my tires, even when parked for just a couple weeks.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
chesterhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

I store with jacks up and plugged in to 30 amp next to my house. I made some wooden blocks out of some 2x6 and 4x4 that I had laying around here that just fit under the jacks while they are up with air bags inflated. While the camper is not in use the air slowly leaks out of the air bags and that allows the jacks to set on the wooden blocks taking some weight off the tires.

You will hear both sides to this situation. Some store with jacks down and level. I don't think it's a bad way to do it. I live in a salt water environment so I keep my jacks up when not in use.

I do not park on wood. I have a concrete driveway, I do not believe this does any damage to the tires or concrete.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Have been parking with the jacks up on asphalt. I do cover the tires. No issues so far.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I store with jacks up and plugged in to 30 amp next to my house. I made some wooden blocks out of some 2x6 and 4x4 that I had laying around here that just fit under the jacks while they are up with air bags inflated. While the camper is not in use the air slowly leaks out of the air bags and that allows the jacks to set on the wooden blocks taking some weight off the tires.

You will hear both sides to this situation. Some store with jacks down and level. I don't think it's a bad way to do it. I live in a salt water environment so I keep my jacks up when not in use.

I do not park on wood. I have a concrete driveway, I do not believe this does any damage to the tires or concrete.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
X2! I do the same with the wooden blocks under the jacks but instead of parking on wood, I purchased some black vinyl runner from Home Depot. It comes on a roll and they cut the total length you want. Figured out how much I needed to go under the tires and then cut it into lengths that fit under the tires.
Tom

this is what I am talking about.

Multy Home Black 27 in. x 72 in. Vinyl Runner-MT5310063US at The Home Depot

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Experienced Newbie

I store mine with the Jacks up on blacktop. If the tires were to lose air, that would be a lot of stress on the Jacks and frame.

Also, when I had my previous tale in winter storage, the snow pack melted and the trailer shifted off the blocks I had the tongue jack on.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Two important things to keep in mind when deciding how you want to store it.

1) The tires on your coach are designed to carry the weight of your coach.
2) The jacks on your coach are designed to hold the weight of your coach.

Also when any of our coaches were at the dealerships we purchased from, they sat there on just tires with probably deflated air bags.

No harm will come to your coach no matter how you decide to store it.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Two important things to keep in mind when deciding how you want to store it.

1) The tires on your coach are designed to carry the weight of your coach.
2) The jacks on your coach are designed to hold the weight of your coach.

Also when any of our coaches were at the dealerships we purchased from, they sat there on just tires with probably deflated air bags.

No harm will come to your coach no matter how you decide to store it.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH

That is what I think also. Good point. I was at a large dealer last week and they were driving a 800,000$ MH around the lot with the slides out. I just asked my self why do I worry about all this stuff?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I just asked my self why do I worry about all this stuff?

X2. There is such a thing as being TOO careful (IMHO). Take care of the really important things like engine oil and filters, tranny filters, etc, etc ,etc. Watch your house batts closely, your holding tanks and fresh water too.

And, oh yes..... Tires are a HUGE issue. I was told by a tire expert that if our coaches ran just a very few miles each week, they would be good for over 200K miles!!! It's the sitting in one place that ruins them in seven years or so.

After you've been using a coach for a year or two (and reading forums like this one) you pretty much know where the weak links are.

I regularly will re-level mine with the jacks whilst all four slides are extended. I doubt (and have always doubted) that it would do any harm.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote