Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

I need to buy a satellite dish

I have Direct TV at home and would like to pull the receiver from the living room and take it with us. Our coach is at the dealer for some warranty work and I thought since it was down there I would have them install the dish. Can anybody recommend what I should mount on the roof? I really do not want a portable dish. I don't need in-motion - the kids can deal with no tv for a few hours here and there.

Thanks.
Todd
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have a Winegard Dome. It works very well and doesn't take too long to find the satelites. NO HD though!

Winegard Company Mobile RV Satellite Antenna, Portable Satellite TV, HDTV Home Antenna

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3

The problem with a roof mount is trees. If the site has trees you'll have no reception With you can usually find a spot to shoot through by moving sat. around
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646
The problem with a roof mount is trees. If the site has trees you'll have no reception With you can usually find a spot to shoot through by moving sat. around
Good point. You just sold me. So is there a HD portable dish?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

There are a number of them that come in kits from places like camping world. These usually cost a little more when they are packaged this way and be careful if you want HD not all other the kits sold will support it.

or, you can do what i did and just get a regular dish from here:
Tripod System Kits*::*Satellite Dish Tripods*::*InstallerOasis.com

they have good support, but these are not a compact as the ones in the RV stores.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #6

Also look at Amazon.com. They have dozens of dishes and combinations for practically anything you want.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Just look around at friends or people you know that are moving and ask for their used dish. I got 2 + cable that way. They leave old satellites and instal new at new location also Look on eBay. Non HD dishes are a bit easier to set up but I see allot of portable HD and regular satellites at camp grounds. Takes me 5-10 min. to hook and set. I've also seen people with the cube(auto setup) Just find a clear spot and set it on a small table.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Have mine roof mounted, but have been thinking of buying a portable dish also just in case of trees. Haven't been without tv yet. also purchased a Dishnetwork reciever and this allows us to purchase a monthly service, we just stop the service when no traveling. you might want to look at dishformyrv web site.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

I use the DVR from the house. If nothing on I can always watch prerecorded
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #10

I use a two foot tripod and a directv dish I bought off ebay.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
There are a number of them that come in kits from places like camping world. These usually cost a little more when they are packaged this way and be careful if you want HD not all other the kits sold will support it.

or, you can do what i did and just get a regular dish from here:
Tripod System Kits*::*Satellite Dish Tripods*::*InstallerOasis.com

they have good support, but these are not a compact as the ones in the RV stores.
While cruising the Installer Oasis website I came across the Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com link. This website helps setup your dish coordinates. Also on the site I found an iphone and android app that uses your phone's camera to id satellites and see if any obstructions are in the way. Think I need to order a Direc kit and take my receiver on the road!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Smile

Is a two foot tripod like a two wheeled tricycle?
GilnJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646
I use the DVR from the house. If nothing on I can always watch prerecorded
Great idea! Why I never thought of that...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

see if you are due for an upgrade in the house. Then keep the old dish. That is what we did.
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

This is what I'm looking to buy. It's a little pricey but HD is a must and the tripod (home) HD dishes are tricky to point. This is as trouble free as RV HD comes.Winegard TRAV'LER DIRECTV Auto Slimline KU/KA - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
This is what I'm looking to buy. It's a little pricey but HD is a must and the tripod (home) HD dishes are tricky to point. This is as trouble free as RV HD comes.Winegard TRAV'LER DIRECTV Auto Slimline KU/KA - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
Seems a lot pricey to me, keep in mind that these things will not work through and foliage at all, i like camping in the shade. I can set up my HD multi dish in under 15 min. once you do it a few times and know the settings before you start it is pretty simple to do.
Who am I to stand between a man and his money or beers, as you could probably drink two beers before I get my the sat working
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy

Seems a lot pricey to me, keep in mind that these things will not work through and foliage at all, i like camping in the shade. I can set up my HD multi dish in under 15 min. once you do it a few times and know the settings before you start it is pretty simple to do.
Who am I to stand between a man and his money or beers, as you could probably drink two beers before I get my the sat working
Agreed, that's why I still don't own one. I'm getting better at pointing the dish but a guy can certainly dream. lol

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #18

I know you don't want a portable dish, but I use the heavy duty tripod from Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and I mount a DirecTV AU9-SL3. Setup is quick and easy and can be moved around the site to find the best line of site for tuning.
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
A little pricey! That price will pay for allot of nights camping.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #20

I have some apartments and allow sat TV and had someone move out and left a dish behind. I removed it and mounted it on a tripod, with just time and effort I learn how to tune it in and now take the reciver from the bedroom , got maybe $20.00 in it. Look around you can always find a dish.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote