Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Installed a cool cell phone booster on my Berk

This is by far the most useful upgrade to my coach I have done. Now I get full bars EVERYWHERE. I mean It. Going to places where I used to drop calls now I'm getting 4-5 bars. Love this. My hot spot Internet is faster and cell phone is now useful. Love it. Any cell phone within 10-15 yards of my coaches also boosted. Love it.

Anyone need lions and tip? Say the word.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-592915024.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	33684   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1392009242.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	33685   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1795350055.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	33686   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1915283384.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	33687  
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

What is it? What's it cost? Where'd you get it??
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
What is it? What's it cost? Where'd you get it??
Silly me.... Sorry about that. Here is what I got:

- 801245 60 dB Dual Band SOHO Amplifier - now upgraded with adjustable gain!
- 301133 Dual Band Outside Antenna, with built-in Spring for durability, includes 13.5 foot Cable.
- 901104 3-way mount for outside antenna, permits attachment to ladder or side view mirror.
- 301135 Indoor Panel Antenna.
- 951104 20-Foot RG58U Low Loss Coax Cable (N Male - FME Female), to connect indoor panel antenna to the amplifier.
- 859913 DC Power Supply for Cigarette outlet.

The heart of the kit is Wilson's 801245 Amplifier: a dual-band amplifier, now upgraded to 60dB gain, which, when installed with the included antennas, dramatically improves cell phone and data card reception. Used widely in Small Office/Home Office applications, this robust device provides just about the highest possible gain when it comes to mobile applications - it is THE choice for Ambulances, RV's, Boats and Truckers. The system supports multiple cell phones and data cards simultaneously (all connect wirelessly - no physical connection between phone/data card and the device is necessary).

Dual Band support means it will work with pretty much all North American carriers.

I bought the unit as a bundle on eBay as I got a good deal. This guy put all the stuff together you need. Wilson RV Kit 801245 Soho Cell Phone Booster Amp 841245 | eBay

The next issue was to find a better way to mount it. So, I decided to mount on the driver side on the side of the coach. This way i do not have a issue with the height on the antenna. I drilled 2 holes for the screws, spray painted the bracket and one hole for the cord. Sealed it up and mounted the antenna... and rand it right into the wall where the TV is. Then mounted the amp in the TV cabinet and hooked it up to the AC outlet there in the cabinet as you can see in the pic. Next, run the cable up the cabinet above and in the floor of the cabinet above the TV and out the side. Looks like a totally factory job wit this set up. Just took a couple hours and presto!!!! Great signal on the road.

Highly recommend this set up.

You can get it all on Amazon but you got to get it item by item. I liked the ebay root. Check out the reviews if the amp/. All great ones. Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics 801245 SOHO AG 60 Adjustable Gain Cell Phone Signal Booster: Cell Phones & Accessories

I paid $375 for the kit on eBay.... and sped a couple hours doing the work although any dealer can do it for you too.
J
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Wow.... That's pretty cool.... I'll have to do some checking into this.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

You might want to check your cell phone carrier spectrum to see if they fit in the two bands provided with this device:
Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note for example most Sprint voice is carried at 800 mhz which is below the frequency Wilson boosts, and future LTE upgrades are in the 2500 mhz band which is above what Wilson boosts.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

I was actually just researching these for my possible seasonal site with very limited cell reception. I'm glad you posted this with good reviews. I wassn't sure I wanted to spend the almost $400 without some proof it actually works. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post

Silly me.... Sorry about that. Here is what I got:

- 801245 60 dB Dual Band SOHO Amplifier - now upgraded with adjustable gain!
- 301133 Dual Band Outside Antenna, with built-in Spring for durability, includes 13.5 foot Cable.
- 901104 3-way mount for outside antenna, permits attachment to ladder or side view mirror.
- 301135 Indoor Panel Antenna.
- 951104 20-Foot RG58U Low Loss Coax Cable (N Male - FME Female), to connect indoor panel antenna to the amplifier.
- 859913 DC Power Supply for Cigarette outlet.

The heart of the kit is Wilson's 801245 Amplifier: a dual-band amplifier, now upgraded to 60dB gain, which, when installed with the included antennas, dramatically improves cell phone and data card reception. Used widely in Small Office/Home Office applications, this robust device provides just about the highest possible gain when it comes to mobile applications - it is THE choice for Ambulances, RV's, Boats and Truckers. The system supports multiple cell phones and data cards simultaneously (all connect wirelessly - no physical connection between phone/data card and the device is necessary).

Dual Band support means it will work with pretty much all North American carriers.

I bought the unit as a bundle on eBay as I got a good deal. This guy put all the stuff together you need. Wilson RV Kit 801245 Soho Cell Phone Booster Amp 841245 | eBay

The next issue was to find a better way to mount it. So, I decided to mount on the driver side on the side of the coach. This way i do not have a issue with the height on the antenna. I drilled 2 holes for the screws, spray painted the bracket and one hole for the cord. Sealed it up and mounted the antenna... and rand it right into the wall where the TV is. Then mounted the amp in the TV cabinet and hooked it up to the AC outlet there in the cabinet as you can see in the pic. Next, run the cable up the cabinet above and in the floor of the cabinet above the TV and out the side. Looks like a totally factory job wit this set up. Just took a couple hours and presto!!!! Great signal on the road.

Highly recommend this set up.

You can get it all on Amazon but you got to get it item by item. I liked the ebay root. Check out the reviews if the amp/. All great ones. Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics 801245 SOHO AG 60 Adjustable Gain Cell Phone Signal Booster: Cell Phones & Accessories

I paid $375 for the kit on eBay.... and sped a couple hours doing the work although any dealer can do it for you too.
J
Great info, great mod. This is something we need for our on the road business! Thanks

Safe travels & enjoyable journeys!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
You might want to check your cell phone carrier spectrum to see if they fit in the two bands provided with this device:
Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note for example most Sprint voice is carried at 800 mhz which is below the frequency Wilson boosts, and future LTE upgrades are in the 2500 mhz band which is above what Wilson boosts.
You are correct that will not boost everything. The website even shows.... Dual Band support means it will work with pretty much all North American carriers (except those that use non 850/1900 bands - like Nextel/iDen and 4G). However, I have an AT&T iPhone 5 which is of course 4G and LTE. My phone will drop down to Edge service is that is all that is there in the area. 3G as well. I find that most phones dumb themselves down to a lower position to pick up what it can. This unit does give me a significant boost. Even when I am on LTE or 4G areas I am getting more bars than without it. It have stood next to my set up and turned all the power off ans saw my signal strength drop... then turned it back on... and it goes back up.

Nothing is 100% but I am satisfied. Just thought I'd share something that I experienced 1st hand that works for me. :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
You are correct that will not boost everything. The website even shows.... Dual Band support means it will work with pretty much all North American carriers (except those that use non 850/1900 bands - like Nextel/iDen and 4G). However, I have an AT&T iPhone 5 which is of course 4G and LTE. My phone will drop down to Edge service is that is all that is there in the area. 3G as well. I find that most phones dumb themselves down to a lower position to pick up what it can. This unit does give me a significant boost. Even when I am on LTE or 4G areas I am getting more bars than without it. It have stood next to my set up and turned all the power off ans saw my signal strength drop... then turned it back on... and it goes back up.

Nothing is 100% but I am satisfied. Just thought I'd share something that I experienced 1st hand that works for me. :-)
I am glad it works for you. I just wanted others to be aware that it might not work with their specific carrier. I would hate to see someone spend 400 bucks to install something that does not work with their equipment.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote