Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Inverter

To use an electric heater while travelling can switch on the inverter?
BertofBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

depending on the size of the inverter and watts the heater draws will be the deciding factor on that. on my 14 Berk, under my bed is the CB Panel and the Inverter outlets are on their own CB. If the heater is too much, it will trip the CB.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Cyclone

I've never done the math, but i bet the alternator won't keep the batteries charged as fast as the heater and inverter draw them down.

Max electric heater by law is 1500 watts. Assuming 100% conversion efficiency, that's 125 amps of 12 volt power. Not sure what the rest of the coach and chassis draw, but that's a lot of amps to push at 12 V to me. It's diesel fuel either way, generator or engine. We use the generator.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

Very true about using the generator!! I use mine all the time and is actually quite fuel efficient. I always thought it burned about .5 gallons per hour at half load but I think it's actually better than that. I was just in Daytona for eight days dry camping for the 500 and put 80 hours on my generator and it only used about 25 gallons. Most of the hours were less than half load only using lights and TV's but I was very impressed with the burn rate.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter