Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Inverter question

This may be a dumb question, but I don't think everything in the coach runs off the inventor so maybe it's a valid question. 😁 I'm currently full timing until I find a new house...have an issue with my magnum inverter and need the shop needs to remove the inverter in order to send it off. Does anyone have any experience removing the inverter and still have power to run the important stuff (refrigerator and AC)? Not sure how this would be accomplished, but interested to hear of others have done it or have knowledge. Thanks in advance.

V/R,
David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

make model of trailer MH and inverter wattage???
would help

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Inverter likely only runs your fridge and nothing else.
It would take a massive battery bank to run your a/c,

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

David - If you have a Berk, the inverter is connected to a few outlets and your TV should be able to run on the inverter. Hope that you know to turn it on at the inside panel and turn it off while sleeping during boondocking to save your batteries.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

On my coach, the inverter powers all the outlets and refrigerator. To my knowledge, the only things that do not run off the inverter are the AC's.

David, I know that this really doesn't answer your question but are you able to get shore power while the repair is being done? If so, I would ask the tech doing the work if you will have power to the coach while the inverter is being repaired.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

I just went thru inverter problems on my berk. It would randomly go into fault mode.
I could send it back to the factory and be down for 8-10 days at a cost of $200-500 or just buy a new one and put it in myself at a cost of $730.
I went with option #2.

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #7

All,

Thanks for the replies. To answer a few questions and comment.

1.) I have the 2011 390bh.
2.) I am able to plug into shore power and will definitely talk to a technician about power to coach.
3.) Back a few months ago I kept getting a fault and ended up taking it to CW because I was in a pinch. They removed the inverter and sent it off. When it was back in the MH, the fan never turned off. I installed a disconnect to manually turn off the inverter when it would set for multiple days. I was hoping to remove the inverter and have camping world fix their error instead of driving it 3 hours to have them remove the inverter.

-David
Old 08-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

David,
What fault were you getting?

I was getting 5 blinks, internal fault.
The repair guys tried to convince me I needed a larger inverter even tho I don't use it.
I bought a new one and replaced it myself.

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Jegstrup,

I was getting an overheating fault. If I remember correctly it was three quick blinks. It's been a while since they replaced the fans.

-David
Old 08-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekdave42 View Post
Jegstrup,

I was getting an overheating fault. If I remember correctly it was three quick blinks. It's been a while since they replaced the fans.

-David
If you opt for the upgraded control panel (and I highly recommend it), errors will be output as actual text messages on the LCD display. Also, you can adjust a TON of inverter options like setting the voltage at which it cuts off to save your batteries from going below 50%, etc.

And adding the Battery Monitoring Kit also, gives you a really fine 12v power system. With the BMK, it even reads out the SOC (State of Charge) of your batts as a percentage of total capacity. Great for insuring you don't go below the "magic" 50% level.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter