Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Yep, the design and installation for the inverter will allow it to pass 30 amps in bypass mode as defined by the circuit breaker on the left side of the panel. This is the main power source to the inverter circuits while in the bypass mode. (See the above-posted circuit breaker layout. Inverter 30A on the left side.)

It is possible to have more power available. It just depends on what one is willing to pay. Expectations are another add-on option Otherwise, some systems aren't really practical. Some even require going to a 24-volt system. And that is another can of worms.

Perhaps the tour bus had the generator running. There one might have 10 to 12 KW available. I recall the Willie Nelson tour bus, kitchen configuration, had a 12 KW diesel generator in addition to the propulsion engine.

Bob
Yep, Willie’s bus we ran the generator while driving and plugged in where we were able when stopped. Same with most other tour busses I’ve spent time on…

The XLT 45a has a 10,000kw generator according to the Manufacture specs, so running the generator while driving in order to operate the coach AC is what the dealers we have talked to recommends. Maybe the problem with the inverter tripping is more of an isolated incident, as some owners I’ve talked to report no issues while on shore power or running the generator, but one or two are having it happen regularly while on shore power running the same accessories/systems.
GnKnTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
We must have bad luck in our 45CA. Normally inverter is off (or reading AC pass thru) and yet we manage to trip the breaker on the inverter often. Fridge, freezer and Aquahot are on all the time. So I am thinking if any of those cycle on at the same time we are using the microwave or oven, we could easily cross 30a. Doesn’t seem too unreasonable to think we should be able to take a shower while someone else microwaves a cup of tea.

Am I think about this wrong?
This is odd but you can turn OFF the electric element to the Aqua hot and that will help. The element only keeps a few gallons of warm water anyways and the burner will kick on to handle a shower. The element is using up to 12 Amps.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:33 AM   #23

the 30 amp limit is the inverter limit/design- other brands such as the Victon multi-plusll can pass through a full 50 amp 120 per leg. Of course you would need to upgrade wire from inverter to breaker panel.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...2x120V-EN-.pdf
Old 10-07-2022, 08:55 PM   #24

This is all helpful info. I understand the system better now. 30a on the inverter side does seem a little too small given all the loads on it but I understand it’s a delicate balancing act and decisions must be made to hit the price point.

FWIW - It’d be a lot more convenient if the breaker that tripped was the one inside the coach and not the one deep in the basement. Until we master the art of power management, I am keeping a crawl space open to the inverter.
jons911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
….

FWIW - It’d be a lot more convenient if the breaker that tripped was the one inside the coach and not the one deep in the basement. Until we master the art of power management, I am keeping a crawl space open to the inverter.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!

GnKnTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #26
Diesel Rep West Coast

so just a question for everyone that has an aqua hot, are you trying to run the electric burner of the system off the invertor? I just received an email yesterday that had to do with the inverter 30amp breaker tripping based off the electric element being turned on while inverting... is an inverter situation, or a dry camping situation I would always recommend using the diesel burner... in fact in most situations I would recommend using the diesel burner as the diesel burner will get you to the op temp faster, and is more effective...
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:49 AM   #27

On my 2020 XLT, the Aquahot electric element isn't powered by the inverter. It would run the batteries down in no time if it was.

That said, in almost three years of owing our coach, I've never tripped the breaker on the inverter, even while tailgating with multiple crock pots, the microwave, A/C's going, etc
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:05 AM   #28

We’ve had a 2021.5 CA for about a year and only tripped the inverter in the basement once when setting up at a new campground for the night. It was a bit unnerving till I talked to a couple guys who were a lot smarter than me and came up and looked at it with me. They kept going back to the inverter as the problem so I finally went down and found it, realized it wasn’t on and seen the little button to push and everything started working again (my wife thinks I’m a genius) (:

When we’re on the road there’s four of us and I really don’t ever think about power management. I run the air conditioners and everything else when it’s hot and the Aqua hot, floor heat and fireplace when it’s cold along with the normal stuff and just don’t have any issues. (Now I’m not in Arizona in the summer or Minnesota in the winter so that may help).

If someone has an inverter kicking all the time I would think there’s a weak link somewhere that needs addressed/fixed, or too many things plugged into the outlets with high draws like space heaters, crockpots, etc…
Terrygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
so just a question for everyone that has an aqua hot, are you trying to run the electric burner of the system off the invertor? I just received an email yesterday that had to do with the inverter 30amp breaker tripping based off the electric element being turned on while inverting... is an inverter situation, or a dry camping situation I would always recommend using the diesel burner... in fact in most situations I would recommend using the diesel burner as the diesel burner will get you to the op temp faster, and is more effective...
When we're on shore power, I use electric for the aquahot because... well I don't want to pay for the fuel Also the exhaust comes out right by the water/sewer bays, making my my hoses hot. I definitely agree, dry camping, I'm not using the aquahot on electric.
jons911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, upgrade