Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Kerosene Question...

Today I stopped at a Walmart and a fellow walked up to my rig, introduced himself, and said he was a retired over-the-road truck driver.... He then asked me if I'd be interested in knowing about an old trick truckers use to boost their MPG... Obviously I said I would...

He said that if I waited until my fuel was down to 1/4 a tank or less and then added 1 gallon of kerosene to the tank and then finished filling the tank so that the kerosene was thoroughly mixed,
then as I burned the mixture , it would clean the injectors and would give me an additional 3-4 mpg....

OK - some of you guys are former truck drivers.... Anything factual about this???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Average Joe

Back in the day, we used a kerosene mix in heavy machinery. It burned hotter and helped keep the diesel from gelling in the winter. I am not so sure if it's ok in the new diesels.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Today I stopped at a Walmart and a fellow walked up to my rig, introduced himself, and said he was a retired over-the-road truck driver.... He then asked me if I'd be interested in knowing about an old trick truckers use to boost their MPG... Obviously I said I would...

He said that if I waited until my fuel was down to 1/4 a tank or less and then added 1 gallon of kerosene to the tank and then finished filling the tank so that the kerosene was thoroughly mixed,
then as I burned the mixture , it would clean the injectors and would give me an additional 3-4 mpg....

OK - some of you guys are former truck drivers.... Anything factual about this???
Putting kerosene in your Diesel tank will burn the injector tips and cylinders hotter. This cleans out all of the carb buildup. It may increase your mileage for a very short term bases, but only to the point of where the optimum clean engine would be. Years ago many mechanic would pour a qt of ATF fluid down an open carburetor to clean out the heavy carb build up on the valves, etc. The sulfur content has been reduced in diesel and this can cause more friction and less lubrication.You not only want a hot burning ignition, you also want good lubrication. To help this out it has been suggested to add two stroke oil to your fuel. you can find on the web the suggested amounts....As for running kerosene..... a 'Diesel' can 'run' on a mixture of different 'fuels'....(french fry grease) it 'can' be ran...... would I put it in my diesel..... no..... the engine costs to much to repair or rebuild if something goes wrong. If you do decide to add different types of fuel mixtures, check your filters often.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
......mixed,

I'm an ex-trucker and I never heard of it. PLUS the claim of 3-4 MPG is beyond belief. If Cummins found out, you'd be out of warranty, IMHO.

my $.02 worth.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Steve & Phyllis

I wonder if he only counted the gallons pumped in his math for mpg. After a few fill ups you effectively have pumped less gas since for every 20 gallon fill up you just got 5% more volume by adding a gallon. I assume a 25 gallon tank and 1/4 tank left means you pump 20 gallon. Just a thought on the numbers but no I do not buy the increased mileage as actual. Would I do it? No way! It voids the warranty and kerosene does not lubricate as well as diesel. Injectors and fuel pump can be damaged.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Up here in the great white cold of New England I thought the winter diesel mix available at the pumps was sort of cut with kerosene. Results in less fuel gelling in cold weather but also higher cost and less mpg.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

Don't do it........lots of problems....read the blogs on this.
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

That's why I asked... Figured smarter minds than mine would know the real facts...,

I have a Mercedes engine anyway and already love the milage I get....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

We have a 2011 Berkshire 390RB60 and with the first tank and every fill since I have used Guardex C50 Diesel Booster additive and have averaged between 10 to 11 mpg. To be honest I can not verify how much the additive has contributed to the mileage we are experiencing since I started adding this to the first tank.

This is a much safer approach than using Kerosene, Gasoline or other fuel enhancements.

For your information here is a link to the product.

GUARDEX LUBES :: Diesel Booster

Happy motoring

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

i don't think a gal per 20 would hurt but i would question if it would do any good.
my 2002 truck says use no additives. believe that has changed.
the first diesel vehicle i owned (a vw rabbit) had instructions on mixing gasoline with diesel in cold weather if the fuel wasn't climatized. the US fuel (at the pump) doesn't need anything mixed for cold weather.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote