Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

Kitchen and Sofa Slides

My 2011 Berkshire 390 QS slides just started sliding out about a foot while retracted and in storage. I used the locks supplied by FR but the frame where they attach is so flimsy that the pressure pulls the molding away from the frame and the slide continues. I looked at the manual for the slide/jack system but no mention of a situation like this. Is there a way to bleed any excess pressure after slides are retracted? Anyone have a similar situation? My dealer is many miles away, otherwise I would be dropping if off.
Berk390QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

I cannot imagine how your slides can extend from the locked position. I would consider this an extremely dangerous situation. When I retract my slides they drop into a slot and make an audible thump when fully retracted. When I extend them, they rise from the slot and continue out. Good Luck
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

I was unaware of a locked position when fully retracted. I have never heard an audible thump as you describe. Sounds like my slides may have a manufacture defect and be dangerous to even drive! Thank you for your response.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

My 390RB 2011 also drops into a lock type position. My dealer never told me about the slide locks and I found them in the back closet . I have never used them and have never had them slide out. I always wondered if I should use them.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

I had a few issues with my slides when I first got my coach which necessitated my taking the coach back to the factory for repair. At a later date while we were travelling, my son and his wife were sitting at the dinette and said that they could see the top of the slide moving in and out when we were travelling. After he said that, I started using the locks to prevent the slide from moving and hopefully taking some of the stress of the slide mechanism.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

My slides were not fully extending but it was a fluid issue. Once I made sure the fluid was at the right level, they have worked fine, other than the squeaking on the sofa/booth side. No one has ever mentioned the slide locks to me. I assume you are talking about the adjustable bars that come in the rear closet when we bought our coach?
philipmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

Fluid level is at fill line as indicated on reservoir. I tried the hand adjustable locks that came with the rig but the pressure that is extending the slides while in storage is so great that it is breaking the molding around the slide. There is no good location on the slide to place this hand adjustable locks so I quit using them. I drove the rig to my storage lot yesterday and made sure the slides were fully retracted. Went back today and the Sofa slide was extended about 6 inches. In the past when I have left it unattended at the storage lot, came back about a month later and the Sofa slide was extended about 2 feet. I disconnect all the batteries while in storage, so I know it’s not something turning on the hydraulic pump while I'm not there. I have had my rig at my local dealer in the past for other issues and it came back with more problems than I took it there in the first place, I’m hesitant to take it back. The next nearest dealer is about 200 miles away.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Same thing is happening to the kitchen slide. I have it parked on a slight slope so I thought gravity was the culprit. My kitchen slide was out I'd say at least a foot. I've never heard a "locking" sound when I put the slides in. It could be a hydraulic thing as my front passenger jack is leaking fluid. I need to check my hydro level.
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk390QS View Post
My 2011 Berkshire 390 QS slides just started sliding out about a foot while retracted and in storage. I used the locks supplied by FR but the frame where they attach is so flimsy that the pressure pulls the molding away from the frame and the slide continues. I looked at the manual for the slide/jack system but no mention of a situation like this. Is there a way to bleed any excess pressure after slides are retracted? Anyone have a similar situation? My dealer is many miles away, otherwise I would be dropping if off.

I would start looking for any hydralic leaks. You may be losing pressure on your system and that is causing them to move on their own.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #10

Berk, if the slide locks are ripping the trim board off of your slide, you are tightening them far too much. They just need to be snug. And they are there for a reason.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #11

A quick check of rv.net suggested that the problem is in a solenoid associated with the slide. Others on that site had complained about slide creep.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote