Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Kitchen Slide Woes, 2018 XL 40C, also 2018 38A and 2018 XLT 45A

All three of these 2018 Berkshires have the same kitchen slide as me.
38A, XL 40C, and XLT 45A. Equalizer Drawing # 70040, a 24" Above Floor slide. One Hydraulic Cylinder.

Anyway, mine has had it's share of issues. It was drifting out, and we got Equalizer to send a new cylinder. When changing the cylinder, we noticed some damage to the underside of the slide room, cause by the rollers. Was most evident in on rollers 2 and 3 (from the front), which are two of the rollers directly under the fridge. So I did what most Berkshire Owners have done, and got he aluminum plates installed.

All the while, when the slide room was extended, (and it extends much faster than the other longer two hydraulic cylinder slide), the leading edge of the slide would dip, and lightly drag on the floor for a few inches until it leveled off and went out. With the fridge full, the drag is no longer a light drag, and I need to kick the facia board left, under and right of the fridge, as the slide moves out, or else it is going to break. I was thinking this was due to the weight of this part of the slide, and the floor of the slide not being strong enough. Silly me, I thought the slide plates would fix this issue. It didn't.

We closely watched the slide going out, and here is what happens. When the cylinder extends and pushes on the bottom edge of the slide, it rotates and the front of the slide dips. Small dip on fireplace, big dip on fridge. The dip on the fridge is so much that the roller under the fridge (which I assume was designed to take weight when the slide hits the floor and prevent it from dragging on the floor) can't take the weight and the wood under the fridge bends such that the edges on the left and right drag on the floor to the point where the facia board on the left (cupboard side) has already detached from the frame, and if I don't kick it as the slide moves out, I fear it will snap, and depending on how large the piece that comes off could potentially hurt someone (likely me).

Anyone else see this going on with their coaches ? Anyone know how to fix ? More rollers might work, but there isn't much space to put another roller, as the rollers on the floor that the slide moves on top of are there. A longer roller might also work, but same constraint as above. A steel plate across the front part might also work, assuming it can be supported to distribute the weight when that roller hits the floor, but that also adds weight to the slide. Perhaps a slower retract of the slide might help, as the floor might not dip so quickly.

I am going to reach out to Randy at FR, and my dealer is also making inquiries. I figure there is a wealth of knowledge here, and even though there are only 2018 coaches with this slide there have to be a few owners out there.

Tags
slide