Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #1

Kwikee steps quit working

2018 39A, just had unit out over Memorial Day weekend, step worked as designed. Since I’ve been home, open door and step does nothing, the light under the steps comes on. I’ve made sure the entry step switches are on, not sure where a fuse may be located? ( I even went ahead and replaced the module with a new one due to driving in heavy rains 2 weekends ago ) the new module didn’t fix it. I’m also NOT seeing a door magnet switch in the door frame, not sure if it has one? Any quick fixes before I get out my car battery and jumpers and volt meter??? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	256608
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
2018 39A, just had unit out over Memorial Day weekend, step worked as designed. Since I’ve been home, open door and step does nothing, the light under the steps comes on. I’ve made sure the entry step switches are on, not sure where a fuse may be located? ( I even went ahead and replaced the module with a new one due to driving in heavy rains 2 weekends ago ) the new module didn’t fix it. I’m also NOT seeing a door magnet switch in the door frame, not sure if it has one? Any quick fixes before I get out my car battery and jumpers and volt meter??? Attachment 256608
Let me see what I can come up with.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Diesel Rep West Coast

Heres a link to the manual over the steps,

https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...multiple-12334
Old 06-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

the fuse location should be in the first bay on the drivers side front of the coach. The fuse location is going to be F11 I believe inside the fuse box in this bay. should be the same bay with the generator release.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Also I would check Fuse F20 in the front electrical box. highlighted are the fuses to check. Hope it helps you out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step fuse.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	256641  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Awesome, thank you guys! I will check that when I get home this afternoon! [emoji1363][emoji41]
I will let ya know what I find......
Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #7

Same issue with Berkshire 34B

I have had this happen several times already with our 2021.5 Berkshire 34B.
I slide under from the front of rig (so the steps don't crush you when they extend, if you were sliding under in front of the steps in "up" position with the door open), then I disconnect the big wiring connector.
I then re-connect, pushing in very hard, and the steps always work correctly. I think it is a faulty connector. It has been several months now since the last time I had to do this.
Good luck!
Hudahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

When it happened to me it was the ground strap connection to the frame. It had become corroded. Remove bolt, clean with emery, lube and replace bolt. All fixed. You said you had been driving in the rain.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincman983 View Post
Also I would check Fuse F20 in the front electrical box. highlighted are the fuses to check. Hope it helps you out
If fuse F11 (steps main power fuse) was blown the under step light would not come on when the door is opened. The fuse F20 is for ignition switch ON interlock to retract steps with door closed. The door switch appears to be working because the under step light comes on with the door open. The door switch supplies a ground to the step controller (turning the light off) with the door closed and an open (turning the light on) when door is opened. Typically the door switch will keep the steps out with door closed if it is on and with it off the steps will retract every time the door is closed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #10

Kwikee steps quit working

UPDATE: steps are working again! I checked the wiring with a voltmeter, had battery voltage to the controller and to the motor when the door opened or closed. Motor did not function, removed 3 mounting bolts and removed the motor, it felt like it was in a bind and tight, the steps dropped down as expected, plugged the motor back in while it was setting on the steps, motor turns in both directions as requested depending on door action. Reinstalled the motor and it’s working. All I can think is that it must have been in a bind - not sure why. But for now it’s working.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #11
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
UPDATE: steps are working again! I checked the wiring with a voltmeter, had battery voltage to the controller and to the motor when the door opened or closed. Motor did not function, removed 3 mounting bolts and removed the motor, it felt like it was in a bind and tight, the steps dropped down as expected, plugged the motor back in while it was setting on the steps, motor turns in both directions as requested depending on door action. Reinstalled the motor and it’s working. All I can think is that it must have been in a bind - not sure why. But for now it’s working.
I would try putting lubrication on everything, make sure its able to move freely, did anything feel like it was pinched in the steps?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
I would try putting lubrication on everything, make sure its able to move freely, did anything feel like it was pinched in the steps?

I did lube all the pivot points with aerokroil, the gear and motor had grease on them. Nothing on the steps felt or appeared to be binding, pretty sure it was the step motor gear bound up. The steps moved freely up and down when I pulled the motor off the step assembly. So far it’s all working. We will see how it all goes - leave Friday for a 10 day vacation!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #13
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
I did lube all the pivot points with aerokroil, the gear and motor had grease on them. Nothing on the steps felt or appeared to be binding, pretty sure it was the step motor gear bound up. The steps moved freely up and down when I pulled the motor off the step assembly. So far it’s all working. We will see how it all goes - leave Friday for a 10 day vacation!
Good to hear
Old 06-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #14
Cousins

AeroKROIL

Quote:
Another good use for AeroKROIL. That’s the finest penetrating oil that I know of. I keep cans of it on hand. The last best use I had for it was a squeaking friction hinge on one of my RV doors. It loosened it all up and took the Squeak out. I keeps all my non-greasable moving joints sprayed with it to keep them from freezing up. It’s great stuff.
Eddie and Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #15
Diesel Rep West Coast

Ill have to remember for remedies with squeaking parts
Old 06-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
Ill have to remember for remedies with squeaking parts

Aweokroil is awesome stuff, we buy it by the case and use it on all of our machinery - I work for the electric company, maintain diggers, bucket trucks, dozers, skid steers, trailers, cranes, you name it we have it in our fleet.

Tags
steps