Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #21

When travelling the dogs (82# and 92#) are on the bed we made in the back seat of the crew cab. If we are just going site seeing and will only be out of the truck for less then 15-20 minutes in the summer we leave the truck running with a/c on, windows down an inch and doors locked (2 sets of keys). Not legal in all states but safe for dogs and never was questioned. If going to be gone longer we leave them in the camper with a/c on and a back-up that starts the generator if the power goes off. Great device. Can set it for power loss and/or temp.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #22

Travel with large dogs

We have 2 Great Danes. One is 5yrs and one is 2 yrs old They traveled fabulously. We covered the back seat of the truck and they climbed in stayed there. They didn't whine or cry to get out. When we stopped they did their business. Went on an 8,000 mile 21 state adventure last summer. They amazed us. If we couldn't take them with us (some of the national parks didn't allow dogs) we left them in the fifth wheel. We also took them to Florida over Christmas and New Orleans in March. @ Great Danes on Bourbon Street it was FUN! They never had an accident or tore anything up. The worse thing they did was sleep on our bed. Campgrounds were great about having them there. People were fascinated by them. Many pictures taken with strange people and they just stood and let it happen. We are going on a 6-7 week adventure again this year. Can't wait to have our babies explore this great country with us. When making reservations I always made sure to mention the babies, that way there were no surprises. They are our "kids" so if we go so do they.

bryanteddie0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #23

We travel w/our rescued 76 lb mixed shepherd - well mannered but has to be on a leach - Have Freedom - Will Travel!!!!! He's good for up to 12 hrs w/o going out. Won't go out after dark either - just falls to the floor and says no way Jose. Great to travel with, when we slow down, he's up and wants some air then lays back down until the next slow down area. We leave shades down if stormy otherwise we leave them up.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #24

We travel with 2 Labs, yellow is 94lbs and black is 82. One sleeps on the road and the other looks out over the dash. We've left them just like we leave them at home and they have never damaged anything. We leave the radio on and close the shades. As long as the climate is set and they have water all has been well. We do try to walk them a mile or two before we go to tire them out. Your mileage may vary.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #25
Northern Most Member ?

Read "Gone With The Dogs" at

http://taylorbasecamp.com
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #26

Well this post could easily go the route of the last one on this subject. Hopefully not. We travel with two small dogs and we full time so home is where we are dogs and all. We leave them in the MH while we are gone. We keep our outing to around 4-5 hours and always talk to our neighbors to see how well they do. If we have a good feeling about our neighbors we leave the door unlocked in case of an emergency like the power fails and it gets to hit in the MH. It's amazing how camping and dogs go hand in hand and we have found great friends that will let them out if we are gone longer.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #27

We travel with two dogs
.. one large and one small. If we are gone during the day wake sure to leave ac on, close the blinds and often leave the TV on. We make sure that they have plenty of water and chew toys to keep the out of trouble.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #28
Lon

Keeps the bad guys down

I just fold up the back seat of my truck and she does what she does at home...........just lays there looking dubiously at me with more wrinkles than carter has little liver pills. All 160 pounds of her. I never have to worry about the bad guys. When she's in the back I always have good traction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	love has no wrinkles.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	75267  
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #29

We have two Doberman Pinchers that travel with us. We have left them in the trailer for six hours before with no issues. We usually try to wear them out before locking them in. Today we let them run wild on the beach for about two hours, then we locked them up and did our sight seeing. They were still sleeping in their beds when we got back.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #30

We also travel with 2 German Shepherds. I would recommend closing all window blinds so they can't get excited at what goes on next door. Make it dark and cozy so they will just take a nap while your gone. Always leave a note on the front door with your cel # in case of a emergency.
RodneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #31

Very short trips

If we ever get our new Wildcat out of the shop for warranty work! We plan to take a short trip to Flagler bch Fla for a few days. This will be our first trip with the pups(90lb lab & 75lb boxer) and maiden trip for the Wildcat. Our plan this trip is shake down to see if traveling with them is feasible. My concern is leaving them in the 5ser and have a short in the electric and fire that they are trapped in camper. That is my biggest fear so our trips away from them will be very short. Click image for larger version

Name:	March 1 002.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	75288
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #32

With those two you might leave the door unlocked. No one will break in for sure. Letting a neighbor know the door is in locked in an emergency would help with your concern.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
...I haven't tried it but I saw somewhere that you can attach a temperature monitor to a cell phone. If the temp hits a set point an alarm goes off and the cell phone calls you to alert you.
Before we got our Berkshire, we had a trailer, and our shepherd and toy poodle loved it. The shepherd passed away, and our toy poodle is now 15 and (like everyone else ) needs to pee more frequently, so we don't leave her alone more than 3 hrs or so. This means at WDW, one of us goes out earlier, then is joined a couple of hours later by the other, or something like that.

I bought (and returned) a NEST smoke alarm that can connect to the internet via modem, thinking I could use my iPad as a hotspot to call my phone, or otherwise query the NEST by phone. The probem was, that the NEST uses MyFi, and my iPad as a hotspot uses WiFi, or vice versa - I don't recall which.

One of the two biggest hazards travelling with a dog in a motorhome is fire in the coach while away from the campground. A neighbor at a campground last year left their (vintage) coach for a two hour period, and we later detected smoke and burning insulation. When we tracked it down, the manager took about two nanoseconds to decide to take an ax to the door upon hearing barking. It was a success story, and the owners (and dog) were extremely grateful. Shortly thereafter, I had an extra set of keys made, and put them in a lock box I mounted on the interior of the propane compartment door, which by law may not be lockable and is the first place a first responder will go. I also put my cellphone no. on the propane compartment and entry doors, so the FD or manager could get the lockbox combination (which can be part of your VIN no, visible in the engine compartment). However, I don't think the FD takes that much time before taking an ax to the entry door window.

The other big hazard while traveling is either losing the leashed dog, or getting run over by a vehicle while crossing the parking area to a grassy area at a rest stop.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
While traveling in our Berkshire, my wife and I have a small Yorki.... She travels great but we have to put her in a small kennel when we leave the coach which we place in our bedroom and leave the TV on. I also have my wife's father with us on trips which he also brings his large golden retriever that knows "NO" rules!! So what I do with "mick" is I place sheets on the couches (knowing he's going to get on them) and go from there... He's never had a issue, made a "mistake" or done anything wrong to our coach and he is what I'd say is a part time camping dog..... Needless to say, protect the furniture, leave some sound on and if they think the coach is their home.... They'll be fine until you return... Left them both for many hours at a time with no issues..... (Climate controlled obviously)

Jason
We also put our dog in a crate when we leave her in the camper alone. This helps ensure that she won't jump down from the bed, break a leg and lie there in pain until we return. We learned our lesson when she got into some chocolate when she was left at large in the camper. Could have been deadly.

Most dogs that are properly crate trained will feel very secure and happy to be in their "den." Our poodle will even open the door to her crate and go inside when instructed (and given a treat).

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #35
(Dry Huunday)

We take our 3 fuzzkids everywhere we go. I have absolutely nothing against those who "SAFELY" leave theirs and one day we may do the same, but for right now they enjoy going with us and we do too, just our choice.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote