Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Large Dogs on Lengthy Trips

We are planning on taking our two German Shepherds with us on our 7 week trip this summer and would like input from others that take their large dogs with them. My two are extremely well- behaved (went through 15 levels of training and have their CGC classifications) so their behavior would not be an issue.

Curious as to what you do with them while you're off seeing the sights.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

I took the back seat out of the truck and built a deck in its place,covered the back of the cab and the deck with carpet. I did varnish the heck out of both sides of the deck,and the carpet just lays there because sooner or later a water bowl will get knocked over! Ours are a 55lb siberian husky and a 50 lb aussie. Works great.They have the run of the TH when we are in camp,but sleep in the garage at night.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

I'm traveling in a Berkshire and they travel great.... Love to sit up front and look out the big windshield.... We've taken the on many shorter trips but never on a trip where we will be leaving the at the coach while we go see the sights....

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Anacortesians

We always took our two elderly Labs with us on MH trips. Unfortunately, we no longer have an RV. Out trips were usually based on single overnight stops, and seeing most of the sights during our travels from site to site. It was very rare for us to leave the dogs in the rig for more than about an hour.

We did get a good laugh when we visited the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville OR. we spent about 3 hours touring the museum. When we went back to the MH, a couple of families were looking at it and laughing. When we looked, one dog was sitting in the driver's seat and the other in the front passenger seat. We heard one family comment "Wow, Washington dogs are so smart they can drive!"
Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

We don't have big dogs but as full timers we take long hikes to burn off the energy prior to leaving them and upon returning home. We turn the XM/Sirus radio on loud enough to eliminate external sounds that might spook them, lower all shades and of course we leave the lights on day and night (were old and we might forget). We also keep to a short schedule, no more then 4-5 hours (alone) at a time. Its enough time for dinner and a movie.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

Ours are older and are very happy in the trailer with the air on when we are gone for a few hours,no different than at home when we go somewhere for the day.They are so laid back they dont or wont even bark if someone comes to the door,or even if they open it. No bites,just licking to death.I really think they would just get in a vehicle and go with any one,they do love to ride!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

We did a 2+ week trip with our 50+lb Lab, he traveled well in back seat of crew cab, first out at any stop to check out the grass spots. When we went to see sights we just left him in TT with air or fan on and made sure we got back to him in 8 hours or less. He always has been good about just sleeping when alone inside so we were not worried about barking.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

We take our 2 rescue dogs lab and pit bull on most our trips. We always take our 2 caged kennels when we leave coach for a while we put them in until we return. Many places don't allow pits but she is sweet as protective of coach!! Never had a problem and they are excited for trip when they see us loading up coach. Hard to not take them now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

While traveling in our Berkshire, my wife and I have a small Yorki.... She travels great but we have to put her in a small kennel when we leave the coach which we place in our bedroom and leave the TV on. I also have my wife's father with us on trips which he also brings his large golden retriever that knows "NO" rules!! So what I do with "mick" is I place sheets on the couches (knowing he's going to get on them) and go from there... He's never had a issue, made a "mistake" or done anything wrong to our coach and he is what I'd say is a part time camping dog..... Needless to say, protect the furniture, leave some sound on and if they think the coach is their home.... They'll be fine until you return... Left them both for many hours at a time with no issues..... (Climate controlled obviously)

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We keep say trips to a couple hours and give phone numbers to neighbors to call if there is a power outage, some things not right or our dog barks enough to annoy them. I haven't tried it but I saw somewhere that you can attach a temperature monitor to a cell phone. If the temp hits a set point an alarm goes off and the cell phone calls you to alert you.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #11

I read where Mitt Romney strapped the dogs to the roof.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

asquared....

I'm confused by your response... What does that have to do with traveling with large dogs???

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We are planning on taking our two German Shepherds with us on our 7 week trip this summer and would like input from others that take their large dogs with them. My two are extremely well- behaved (went through 15 levels of training and have their CGC classifications) so their behavior would not be an issue.

Curious as to what you do with them while you're off seeing the sights.....

Quote:
asquared....

I'm confused by your response... What does that have to do with traveling with large dogs???

Your opening post asked what you do with the dogs while you are off seeing the sites. Oh and my last dog was a 70 Shepard mix, current dog is a 65 lb boxer American bulldog mix. I would do the same if I had my dad's 150 lb newfie with me too.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:18 AM   #14

Quote:
asquared....

I bet I can explain that. He uses voice dictation to his phone. and he meant to say keeps day trips to a couple hours.

Voice dictation will get you into more trouble than autocorrect. :-)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I bet I can explain that. He uses voice dictation to his phone. and he meant to say keeps day trips to a couple hours.

Voice dictation will get you into more trouble than autocorrect. :-)
Sorry didn't catch it. It was auto correct
Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #16

Ok... Now it makes sense...

Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #17

Ok. Our dog travels in back seat of crew cab. (Leveled out with blankets). In the camper, we have a couch cover, on the beds we have "Dog" flannel blankets. We leave the windows closed but keep a couple blinds open(our girl likes to see out). We leave out the water bowl, her rubber bone and her knuckle bone(bored dogs make nasty messes). We leave the air/heat running. we just lock the camper and walk away. However, if it's extremely hot/cold where our girl would suffer from being alone if the power goes out; we let the office know we're gonna be gone and our dog is inside. Be careful, some campgrounds do not permit you to leave dogs unattended, even in you trailer. Also, you may check the campgrounds and see if they have a dog park so your pair can get off leash. We prefer KOAs for this reason. Our girl is a young, 85lb. American Bulldog and needs to run. Be advised some campgrounds do not allow German Shepards. It's an insurance issue. Remember to take your shot records and it might help if you took their CGC papers too. Have fun!

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #18

We removed the free standing dinette and put in the 2 dog crates. They are both crate trained and we use them at night and whenever we are not home. The pups are use to that and when we get ready to leave, we tell them to go to bed. They both go into their crates without an issue. Works great and we keep trips away from the camper to less than 4 hours.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We travel with 3 dogs, 150lb Mastiff, 90lb Goldendoodle, & a 10lb Maltese. They are well behaved (just don't enter the camper!) and will stay in camper for 6-8hrs without any trouble at all. If we know that we will be gone longer than that during our stay, we'll leave them at home with the house-sitter.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #20

Silly us, when we traveled with dogs, we went by the rules that most places have to not leave your dogs unattended, and took the dogs with us to see the sites. Now that we no longer have dogs we get to see the sights together. We found that not all people adhered to these rules. I know, a lot of people will say their dogs never bark, but how do you know if you are not there. We have seen a good number of those quiet dogs standing on the dash of Class A rvs barking up a storm.

The only exception to that was a campground in Lincoln, Nebraska when we went to my MIL funeral and the lawyer to take care of the estate. We asked permission from the park owner and their main concern was that the air conditioning was on for them.

Also, it is common courtesy to pick up after them.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote