Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Leaking Front Door on 390bh

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or pointers on getting the front door of the coach to seal a bit better. I have a 2011 390BH and took it through the truck wash the other day and those high pressure hoses found a leak in the top of my front door that I had not noticed or heard. The door closes just fine but the door appears a bit warped on the top and opens just enough to take the seal down to allow in water in a bad rain. Is there an adjustment someone knows about that I can look at.
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

I have a 2012 390bh with the same issue. I had the dealer replace the door gasket last week but do not know if this corrected the problem. When I analyzed the initial problem I noticed that as the door closed the folding bar that holds the door open interfered with the gasket on the right side of the gasket looking at the door from inside. It appeared the bar when closed pushed the top of the gasket away from the sealing surface of the door frame. Because it distorted the gasket I had the dealer change the gasket under warranty. Hopefully this will correct the problem as the door is much more difficult to close and lock. I assume the gasket needs to seat in. Good luck and I hope this helps. Mmnsc
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

Have them your locking mechanism. The front door on our 2011 390RB leaked a bit and was even a bit rusty on the top edge. Luckily I found the most experienced tech at the dealer and asked about it and he explained the lock mechanism is designed to be a double lock which wasnt adjusted properly and not latching the door tight enough. He adjusted it and now it seals tight with no leaks.
If your latch is working properly it will catch and hold the door when you close it lightly and then when you press hard to close it you will hear another click and it latches tight.
None of the salespeople and few of the other techs had any idea about it and it took someone who knew how it really worked to explain it and a bit of time fiddling with it to make it latch tightly. No more leaks!
Also if your deadbolt is hard to lock from inside then that is a hint that the door isnt latched closed tightly. If I remember correctly that was the symptom that led me to complain about the door in the beginning thinking the deadbolt was the problem but then I noticed the bit of rust and water drops leaking in from on top of the door.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Thanks a million for the reply. MJRACSJ, was the repair on your coach a warranty item or an inexpensive fix? With a 2011 coach... my 1 year is long gone.

Any other thoughts from anyone who has had this issue?
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

My door latch was fixed and the dealer didnt charge me for it but it would not have been expensive anyway. It just needed adjustment and it took the tech maybe 20 minutes of tinkering with it to get it right.
The tough part may be whether or not anyone at your dealership even knows about how the double catch on the door lock works - I was lucky that just one guy in the whole dealership knew about it and how to adjust it.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I also experience a leak on the top of the front door. When I was at the factory getting my window replaced, I mentioned it. They had the technician raise the door up. He place a jack under it, loosened some screws on the door, jacked it up, added some more screws. No more leak, even in a heavy rain. If you have it done, make sure they get the door seal straight (backside of the door).

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote