Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Leaky window

Finally made it to Florida! 81 degrees, I like it! Unfortunately it rained from the time I left Louisville until around Gainesville. After a heavy downpour last night I was going over the coach and noticed that the bottom window in the bunk house was leaking water in. The water was entering into the bunk and dripping down the wall at the bottom edge of the window.
Has anyone had this issue?
In the morning I'm going to check to see if the weep drains are clear. I have a tube of silicone. I was thinking of applying silicon to the outside top edge and the inside bottom edge.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

I did on the booth area window.
If you look on the outside of bottom of the window trim there are slits where the water can drain. Mine had dirt in them and stopped water from running outside. It ended up in the booth. Hope this helps. I cleaned them out with water hose and air gun. Have not had prob since
Motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Two things I would suggest.

Only caulk the outside. If you caulk the inside and the outside is still leaking, the water may just stay in the walls. Leave the inside alone so you can tell if it the outside is still leaking.

Do not use silicone. Use a regular caulk or RV specific caulk.
Nothing will stick to silicone, so if you have to caulk again in the future it will be a problem.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

I actually had this happen to 4 of my windows (at separate times) it always came in at the bottom side corner of the window that slides open. If you open the window you'll notice a thick rubber seal that just pops into the track. Remove the seal and reseat it. Mine from the heat shrank a little and was popping up in the corners allowing water to seep in a little. I removed the seal and put it back in ensuring it was flush and this stopped the leak. You can have a gap at the window sides since the water that gets in there will go through the weep slots but ensure the rest of the seal is perfectly flush. Mine did it in the bunk once, booth once, bottom bunk once and bedroom multiple times. I have reseated that one about three times now but it does fix the problem. I've gotten into the habit now once I'm parked after traveling, I open the windows and press the seals down ensuring they are flush.

Hope this fixes your problem!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

I would be careful sealing anything on the bottom of the window.
Have someone spray water on the outside while you are inside with a bright flashlight. Start at the bottom, working side to side. Don't move to quickly up. Take your time and you should find the point of entry. Good luck
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the tips, you prevented me from putting silicon around the window!
Jason, you called it!
After making sure the weep holes were clear, I reseated the thick rubber seal along the window. It didn't seem to be out of place to me but went with it anyway. After reseating the seal I sprayed water over it with a hose and no leak!
Thanks for the tips!
Safe travels everyone
Stephen

stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencamiolo View Post
Thanks to everyone for the tips, you prevented me from putting silicon around the window!
Jason, you called it!
After making sure the weep holes were clear, I reseated the thick rubber seal along the window. It didn't seem to be out of place to me but went with it anyway. After reseating the seal I sprayed water over it with a hose and no leak!
Thanks for the tips!
Safe travels everyone
Stephen

Very glad I could help and it fixed your problem!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak