Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #1

Leveling jacks erratic

Yesterday when putting down leveling jacks, they didn't respond. I plugged into shore power, let sit for a while, 30 min, then they went down fine. Three days after remaining plugged into shore power, the jacks didn't want to retract. The control panel for the jacks didn't light up, or respond. I plugged back into shore power, for a while, and in the meantime I went to buy new chassis batteries, as they were getting weak. I came home, installed the new chassis batteries, and the jacks retracted. So just to test them, I extended the jacks again. They went down halfway and stopped. So I attempted to retract and they came up fine. I checked the fluid level, that was good. Has anybody have any ideas as to what would cause this behavior? Thanks.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Yes.... sounds like low voltage. After you got the new batteries were they in fact fully charged? Keep an eye on your voltage when you're playing with the levelers.

I personally never operate slides or levelers without having AC/Generator or engine on.

These systems want GOOD voltage and current.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Learning

Leveling jacks...on occassion

We had this issue. My coach is a 08 so it depends on the year of your coach. The company that makes the jacks became aware of a issue like you have and have the parts to correct it. If I remember right, it entailed a new valve and possibly a wiring change. Its been a while since mine was done, but it fixed the entire issue.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Could be a bad touch pad. My unit is a 2016 and I started having problems turning on or getting the touch pad to respond. The pads go bad and what I had to do was use my fingernail and press at the middle of each pad with my thumbnail to get it to respond. Give it a try.

Year and make of RV?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #5

Leveling jacks eratic

Thank you for all the responses. After tearing into it, I was relieved to find the main battery connection coming from the engine to the house batteries, was just loose enough to not make a good connection. This seems to have corrected the issue.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Thank you for all the responses. After tearing into it, I was relieved to find the main battery connection coming from the engine to the house batteries, was just loose enough to not make a good connection. This seems to have corrected the issue.
Thanks for reporting back. Glad you found your problem...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling