RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
edgewant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 590
Locked out

Didn't know it could happen but this past Saturday while camped we got locked out of our 2013 390RB. Either we accidently hit the lower lock on the door (lock with red plastic tip) or it dropped to the locked position when we closed the door. Fortunately I have a habit of looking out drivers side window (head out of the window) when I back up. Had done so and had left the window unlocked. Won't leave the coach again without my door keys. I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.
__________________
edgewant

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,470
Been there, done that. Grand daughter pushed lower lock down and we closed the door. Nothing like some outside time with the grand kids. Now have a key hiden ouside in cabinet that dosen't lock.
__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185 days: 2018 182 days
2019: 156 days (2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad)
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Didn't know it could happen but this past Saturday while camped we got locked out of our 2013 390RB. Either we accidently hit the lower lock on the door (lock with red plastic tip) or it dropped to the locked position when we closed the door. Fortunately I have a habit of looking out drivers side window (head out of the window) when I back up. Had done so and had left the window unlocked. Won't leave the coach again without my door keys. I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.
Same thing happened to me in my old coach. VERY easy to either bump it or it falls on it's own.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Badlands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern Iowa
Posts: 226
We did the same with our former trailer, a Puma RK29SS. ALL the keys were locked inside the trailer, along with our cell phones. What a sinking feeling that was. Fortunately, the exterior hatch below the dinette was unlocked, but it was only about a foot tall, and maybe 16" wide.

Could it get any worse? Of course it could!! Our black lab was also locked inside the trailer. He was a smart boy, but didn't do door handles!

After eyeing the tiny hatch opening for several minutes, I asked my wife to search the campground for a kindly looking mother; one with a small child. Notice that I didn't volunteer my services for that task!

Well, about five minutes later, she returned with a lady and young boy in tow. I lavished the stranger with praise, and pointed out the small opening, while pleading our dilemma.

The boy looked exactly like Ralphy, right out of Christmas Story. He took a look at that minuscule opening, cocked the glasses atop the bridge of his nose, and volunteered to go caving in the belly of our trailer. I explained to him that our 90 pound lab would greet him as his shoved open the inner door, but only to worry about being licked to death, and not bitten.

I hoisted the youngster toward the opening, and he contorted his shoulders in serious angles, but managed to squeeze through. As I watched in angst, he crawled through the void, and finally popped open the door beneath the bench seat. There stood our dog, ears and jowls hanging down, ready to greet him.

Now, we all know about boys and dogs. The lad took several minutes to meet and greet our dog, while I worried if he'd forgotten how to work the lock I'd so carefully explained. No. He had it down pat, but he had quickly became a friend of our boy, and took the time to pet and speak with him.

As the three of us stood anxiously outside the main door, open it went, and down came dog and boy! All was well again! I asked the mother is it was acceptable that I reward her son, and she explained that that wasn't necessary. However, I saw that as a $10 adventure, and in the end, both boy and dog were happy.

After retrieving the keys to the trailer and our truck, my lab and I went into the closest town to have spare keys made. That's when I discovered that many places that do keys, can't do a trailer key. At least not the Walmart and True Value I visited. Fortunately, there was a locksmith in town, and he was open.

Ten minutes, two new keys, and two magnetic lock boxes later, man and dog returned to our trailer, never to be locked out again.

I'm sure glad my wife handled the recruiting of the child! I can just see myself going up to a strange woman, and asking, "Hey lady, can I borrow your child?" The rangers and cops would have surrounded the place before I could explain the situation, and rightfully so!

My lesson was learned, just like your's!

Happy camping!
__________________
Badlands

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Happened to my husband while he was opening the gate to back into our driveway. He was alone and we live on a very narrow road. After he assisted all the backed up cars to carefully pass, he had to climb in the drivers window by standing on the tire. Picture a six foot three cowboy climbing in that small window then quickly moving the coach out of the road.
spottedhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hallen01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.
While camping last summer, the vintage coach parked next to us had a fire while the owners were out for awhile, and since there was a dog inside, the manager broke in through the door window with an axe. I decided to buy and install a NEST smoke alarm that can be remotely acessed for status, and installed a lockbox on the inside surface of the propane door. The entrance door has labels directing emergency responders to that location, however in case of a fire, I'd rather my dog be rescued without delay. In case it was aa less imminent emergency (alarm, but no smoke), the lockbox has my cellphone on it, so I can provide the lockbox combination.

This is good for lockouts, but it has a couple of flaws, like some kids claiming to be firemen wanting the combination, or the even more unlikely event in which the firemen don't take an axe to the window to gain immediate entry to save my dog.

P.S: I used 1" #14 metal screws on the lockbox mounting, and was careful to make sure the box didn't contact anything inside when the door closed.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedhorse View Post
Happened to my husband while he was opening the gate to back into our driveway. He was alone and we live on a very narrow road. After he assisted all the backed up cars to carefully pass, he had to climb in the drivers window by standing on the tire. Picture a six foot three cowboy climbing in that small window then quickly moving the coach out of the road.
Is that the same adage of being a hammer and everything looks like a nail?

As a cowboy riding a horse, now everything needs a leg up help and must be sat on/into from the top side?
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
You might want to consider getting one of those stickers from the ASPCA that says animal inside please rescue. Good luck.

Marcusfan
__________________
2016 Forest River Georgetown 364TS
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 147
GREAT story telling! Fun read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
We did the same with our former trailer, a Puma RK29SS. ALL the keys were locked inside the trailer, along with our cell phones. What a sinking feeling that was. Fortunately, the exterior hatch below the dinette was unlocked, but it was only about a foot tall, and maybe 16" wide.

Could it get any worse? Of course it could!! Our black lab was also locked inside the trailer. He was a smart boy, but didn't do door handles!

After eyeing the tiny hatch opening for several minutes, I asked my wife to search the campground for a kindly looking mother; one with a small child. Notice that I didn't volunteer my services for that task!

Well, about five minutes later, she returned with a lady and young boy in tow. I lavished the stranger with praise, and pointed out the small opening, while pleading our dilemma.

The boy looked exactly like Ralphy, right out of Christmas Story. He took a look at that minuscule opening, cocked the glasses atop the bridge of his nose, and volunteered to go caving in the belly of our trailer. I explained to him that our 90 pound lab would greet him as his shoved open the inner door, but only to worry about being licked to death, and not bitten.

I hoisted the youngster toward the opening, and he contorted his shoulders in serious angles, but managed to squeeze through. As I watched in angst, he crawled through the void, and finally popped open the door beneath the bench seat. There stood our dog, ears and jowls hanging down, ready to greet him.

Now, we all know about boys and dogs. The lad took several minutes to meet and greet our dog, while I worried if he'd forgotten how to work the lock I'd so carefully explained. No. He had it down pat, but he had quickly became a friend of our boy, and took the time to pet and speak with him.

As the three of us stood anxiously outside the main door, open it went, and down came dog and boy! All was well again! I asked the mother is it was acceptable that I reward her son, and she explained that that wasn't necessary. However, I saw that as a $10 adventure, and in the end, both boy and dog were happy.

After retrieving the keys to the trailer and our truck, my lab and I went into the closest town to have spare keys made. That's when I discovered that many places that do keys, can't do a trailer key. At least not the Walmart and True Value I visited. Fortunately, there was a locksmith in town, and he was open.

Ten minutes, two new keys, and two magnetic lock boxes later, man and dog returned to our trailer, never to be locked out again.

I'm sure glad my wife handled the recruiting of the child! I can just see myself going up to a strange woman, and asking, "Hey lady, can I borrow your child?" The rangers and cops would have surrounded the place before I could explain the situation, and rightfully so!

My lesson was learned, just like your's!

Happy camping!
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 157
Have a key hidden outside plus one in toad.
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 215
Just an FYI, if this happens and you are at the trailer park. Start borrowing keys from a neighbor. I bet you find one that fits! Unlike cars there are only a couple of trailer keys made and even fewer exterior access door locks.

That being said...we keep a spare key at the local RV repair shop down the road from our permanent campsite. yes it saves you from the humiliation of going sight to sight and asking to try their keys.... yeah I've done it...It was the owner at the RV place who told me about asking to try different keys (in case they are closed), and it makes no difference on the make, more the year.

Has anybody seen the sun in the last week?
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ironj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
ive done this before too......

after realizing they keyless entry on my truck was a genius invention, i ordered one for the trailer door.....now i can lock the keys in there and not worry....

i got the bauer trailer model...they make one for motorhomes as well...

it says its a direct bolt on replacement...

well see!


(when i locked myself out i had to send my kid through the front hatch, and push in the piece of luan to the bed and then push the bed up to get in trailer.....then i had to fix it later...lol....i thought about asking around for keys to try....but i dont look like the nicest guy so im told, and i didnt want people to think i was breaking in)...LOL
__________________
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
You might want to consider getting one of those stickers from the ASPCA that says animal inside please rescue. Good luck.

Marcusfan
I ordered one of these last week:

"Rescue Pet" Sign - Four Corners PD2012-001 - Safety - Camping World

I don't care how much damage must be done....

SAVE FRED!
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1391281035.576632.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	45653

Installed a key box...best & inexpensive solution for potential lockouts or if we just don't want to carry our door keys while out



__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Attachment 45653

Installed a key box...best & inexpensive solution for potential lockouts or if we just don't want to carry our door keys while out
Where did you purchase this from?

Perfect solution and location for a lock out situation.

Edited to add: I checked some similar lockboxes around the 'net. These seem to be mounted to the wall with screws only. (and since they're located, by necessity, in an unlocked compartment) What would prevent a person taking something like a butter knife and ripping this box off the wall? Yes, I know they'd then just have a box with the keys in it, but is the box made of metal sufficient to resist a good pounding with a hammer?
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Crusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 515
I have a ford f150 with a door code pad. I keep a extra trailer key in the glove box. If I get locked out of the trailer, I unlock the truck with the key pad, and get the trailer key out of the glove box.
__________________
TV= 2012 F-150 FX4 Supercab
FW= 2011 270ret Crusader
Hitch= Reese Pro Series 16K Hitch
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Crusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 515
The key lock box is a good idea. Please note, if someone wants in to your trailer, all they have to do is pry the lock box off the wall. I have smashed may of those lock boxes to get the key out, vary easy to smash open. Just be careful if you store the trailer in a storage lot.
__________________
TV= 2012 F-150 FX4 Supercab
FW= 2011 270ret Crusader
Hitch= Reese Pro Series 16K Hitch
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,221
I'm wondering about one of those styles that realtors use, the kind with the loop on the top like a padlock. Those could be hung on the crab bar by the steps but that puts it right there in plain view for a determined thief and if need be they could unscrew the grab bar off the side of the RV, then smash the lock box.

But, as DH just said; ours is a 5er so it's not likely we'd ever tow it with another truck, so we'll just put an extra set inside the TV.
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,221
Making a complete extra set will be a pain....key for the hitch tri pod, key for the surge guard connection lock, door key, storage bay key, key for the 5er hitch.

Lock smith's gonna love me.
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,839
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Making a complete extra set will be a pain....key for the hitch tri pod, key for the surge guard connection lock, door key, storage bay key, key for the 5er hitch.

Lock smith's gonna love me.
First thing I did was get two extra sets made, I understand the lock smith will be in the Riviera for another two weeks....
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.