Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Looking for advice on Berkshire 40RB

I have a down payment on a new leftover 2015 40RB with Cummins 360. I have been reading through the forums and now I am getting cold feet about this major purchase. I currently own a Tiffin Allegro 36la gas model which has been a good coach. I am a little nervous about the higher maintenance issues with a diesel, but mostly nervous after reading a thread on the horror stories Berkshire owners have with the Gerard tank less hot water system. I have been very happy with my current 10 gallon gas/electric tank. Any input before I finalize this deal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
dsalmon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Welcome! The benefits of the diesel pusher far outweigh the gasser. Air suspension ride, the rear mounted engine is extremely quiet. Maintenance intervals are much farther apart than a gasser.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457273392.036579.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	101179
The Girard on demand hot water heater can get finicky and needs some patience. You need to start the hot water draw and listen for the unit to start. Reduce the flow to a slow flow and the hot water will get there. There is an adjustment knob in the medicine cabinet to adjust the flame height. I've found that this adjustment is important for temperature variations on +/- 10° ambient. Turn the shower on and adjust the temp to you liking. This does it for us. By the way we are full timers.
I am a second Berkshire owner and had Girard gen II heaters on both units. They are just ok. The Atwood's are getting better reViews but even those units are having issues.
I can't imagine you being disappointed with the Berkshire.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Thanks Paul, do you have the Cummins 6.7 360hp, and if so, is it enough power for heading out west?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Looking for advice on Berkshire 40RB

Yes I do have the 360 hp with the MH 3000 tranny, 10k towing capacity. Our 2014 390 BH-60 handled the the mountains of the West just fine. We were towing a 2013 Lincoln MKX 4500# and had a 10.4 avg. mpg. The only reason for the change in coaches was the floor plan.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

I have a 2014 Berk with the 360. Heck I climbed all the hills out West with my previous 300 Cummins. The 360 does great --I'm sure you will miss the 4000 RPM slap when your gasser heads up a small hill. Lol. I've been there too.

On my 360 I just set the cruise --it will go over most hills and you will never notice the transmission shifting. Sometimes on the big hills I will manually shift to hold the RPM a little longer. Hills are no issue.

On demand water heater just has a learning curve. We have been stationary here in Florida since November. Can use all the water we want so with the "on demand" there never an issue with hot water. Sometimes water will vary from hot to warm but that's the learning curve. I run my hot water full on. Then adjust the control in the cabinet to how hot we want it. Once adjusted right -no other adjustment necessary.

The coach you have is a good coach I'm sure. You will for sure love the new Berkshire.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Thanks Russell, can you adjust it hotter for doing dishes and then just mix in some cold water for a shower or is that not how it works?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Don't let water heater scare you. I have the 490bh60 with one and it's simple to use. Remember to big difference is with a tank you choose temperature of water and with tankless you choose delta T or change in temperature. So always start with tstat on low and adjust from there. Too high on tstat and it will cycle on and off. Seams odd but I keep my tstat on about 30% and rarely have issues. In colder weather I have to turn it up some to compensate for colder water temp. I'll set the temp so it's all hit water in shower then at sink it hit too... Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #8

You will be very pleased with the performance of the 360 engine. We have a 2012 390bh with 360 engine. We tow a 2013 Ford Explorer which is about 5200#. Have been out through the Rockies and the Canadian Rockies twice and will be going out west again this summer. There was absolutely no issues going up and down the mountains.

The Girard II does take getting use to. Pressure and water flow play a huge part in getting constant flow of hot water. Places that have low flow/pressure will be problematic. Use an adjustable flow control or no at all. We had a Gen I and had it replaced with the Gen II. Very happy with the replacement.

I am sure you will be please with the new coach and enjoy many pleasurable miles. Diesel pushers are the way to go as previously stated.
Marty

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalmon55 View Post
Thanks Russell, can you adjust it hotter for doing dishes and then just mix in some cold water for a shower or is that not how it works?

You can do it that way. It is just very touchy with the single control in my shower. I think with a dual control for the shower it would work better ?? It is just a learning curve. You will get used to it quick.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a down payment on a new leftover 2015 40RB with Cummins 360. I have been reading through the forums and now I am getting cold feet about this major purchase. I currently own a Tiffin Allegro 36la gas model which has been a good coach. I am a little nervous about the higher maintenance issues with a diesel, but mostly nervous after reading a thread on the horror stories Berkshire owners have with the Gerard tank less hot water system. I have been very happy with my current 10 gallon gas/electric tank. Any input before I finalize this deal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
I've got a '14 390fl-60. Plenty of power. Many of the people that warned me about the high cost of diesels never owned one. Not as bad as predicted. Also, there are a lot of things that you can do yourself if handy. An oil change done at home is 75-80 bucks and is done only once a year or 15000 miles. I would not go back to a gasser as most who have owned both will testify. Also, Forest River makes a great product with the Berkshire, but more importantly, they back their products....many issues out of warranty (not to mention the free service at the Goshen rally) I too had buyer's remorse initially, but am now extremely satisfied with my purchase. All motorhomes will have problems. It's how those problems are handled that is important. Good luck and enjoy your new baby

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

Thank you all for your advice. I'm feeling better about my concerns now after you all shared your experiences. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully finalize the deal.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
We've had a 2012 Berkshire for four years and love it. We did have problems with the Gerard tank the first year, but they upgraded us to a second generation one and not a problem now--only if you dry camp as it does take a little longer to get hot, so you run more water. But...you never run out of hot water!!
ragatzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #13

A 2015 might have the Atwood WH in it. I have had the Gen l Genll and the Atwood. All are workable and would never make my buying decision based in them. I do prefer the Atwood over the Gerard.
Welcome to the group and enjoy that new rig. We love ours. I have the 340 motor and have not been sorry.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #14

Berkshire purchase

As Phil57 stated, your unit may actually have the Atwood water heater in it. I purchased a '15 40BH with the Atwood and after some initial problems when taking a shower (adjusting the temp), I replaced the shower valve with a pressure-balanced valve and handle which completely solved that problem. You may find the same fix helpful if you actually have a Gerard and have adjustment (hot/cold) issues.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

This 40rb has a girard unit. The model is GSWH-1M. I'm not sure how to tell i
f that is generation 1 or 2 though.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
This 40rb has a girard unit. The model is GSWH-1M. I'm not sure how to tell i
f that is generation 1 or 2 though.

If it has a rotary dial for temperature control it has a Generation 2 unit. The Gen 1 has only a rocker switch with all the other slide control switches.

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #17

Then it must be Gen 2 because it has a dial in a medicine cabinet. THANK YOU all for the information as advice. Looks like I will be a Berkshire owner
Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Then it must be Gen 2 because it has a dial in a medicine cabinet. THANK YOU all for the information as advice. Looks like I will be a Berkshire owner

When you get it ask about how to run it. We all have been there and learned that. No sense in you making the mistakes we have. They are a little temperamental but in my opinion worth the trouble. Long hot showers and RV's don't usually go together.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #19

You will love your Berkshire!
We had a gasser and the diesel really isn't that much more expensive to own. We would get 8-9 mpg in the gas coach and we get 10-11 in the diesel coach. No more screaming over the engine and no more being blown all over the road every time an 18 wheeler passes. The Berkshire handles great on the road. Going up a hill or mountain in a gasser is just plain SCARY compared to a diesel. If the screaming, sounding like it is going to blow up sound of the engine isn't enough to give you heart failure, the fact that the gas coach slows down to a VERY slow speed as it "tries" to get over that hill or mountain will!!
As far as the water heater. Once you get used to it you will love it. To me, it is just like the one in our house: turn water on, get to right temp, shower, let water flow, rinse, done.
I think once you test drive your new coach, you will see what we are all talking about. Then you only question will be "why didn't we do this sooner"???
Good Luck, and keep us posted!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #20

Dave we bought a 2015 40RB a year ago now and even though we were not rookies to RVing the Berk took some education to getting use to. The biggest was the water heater which took a lot of getting use to since it was our first exposure to tankless. Like Phil FR changed ours to an Atwood and for that we were grateful. There are a lot of users on this forum who swear by their supplied unit and a lot who swear at it.
Welcome to the forum.

Wayne

Tags
berkshire