Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #21

Don't Use The Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
The one thing to remember too is... as noted by the OP.. he tries to take a shower when someone else is using water (kitchen sink for example). Since this is a 'flow based' system, any 'change' in flow will affect it. It's like at home... if you are in the shower and someone flushes the toilet, you get scalded. The Girard works in reverse.. if it senses a change in flow, it will stop heating the water until it senses the 'new' flow and kick on again.
We just came back from a week long camping trip and no issues with the Girard II so it must be something else affecting it. The only 'adjustment' you have control over on the actual machine is the flow control know behind the unit. I would also check that one to make sure it works. If you set it to full flow, check the water temps coming out of it at one of the faucets.. then, reduce it fully and check the temps again.. maybe that's the issue... who knows :-)
Yes, we have learned to tell everyone in the RV to please not use the water while we are taking a shower. We have everyone pretty well trained.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #22

Just and additional note on the Truma- NONE of the flow BS issues.

For me I would use the truma ($$$) or go back to a 6-12 gal storage tank type heater ($).
When in the rv I'm on vacation- and I'm not ruffing it. I do not want to have to play games trying to get the flow right so I don't take a cold shower. Its bad when your wife and daughter would rather use the campground showers rather than your rv shower. That's when I switched.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #23

Thermostatic shower controls were specifically designed to eliminate the issue of temperature swings. Ever since I upgraded mine I hadn't had a problem with jumping temps when someone opens either kitchen or vanity faucet while I am in the shower for 10% the cost of Truma
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #24

Thermostatic shower controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
Thermostatic shower controls were specifically designed to eliminate the issue of temperature swings. Ever since I upgraded mine I hadn't had a problem with jumping temps when someone opens either kitchen or vanity faucet while I am in the shower for 10% the cost of Truma
Where did you purchase your thermostatic shower control. I am not familiar with them.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #25

Hi Hikerjohn.

I personally changed all my shower fixtures to hansgrohe (brand) and it was very expensive (I'd say about $600 -$700) but my boss really wanted it. The are top notch quality German products - probably second best plumbing fixtures after dornbracht. As far as I remember Gordon used American Standard fixtures for about a quarter of the cost of mine.

To install, I took off a small panel in the bedroom that gave me access to the back of the shower to take off the old controls. I screwed the board to cover the opening in the shower wall and used holesaw to drill larger hole in the shower to accommodate the new control - need 5" inch opening for mine. I even reused the original fittings to put it in.

If you will search this forum for hansgrohe my posts from a few years ago will pop up.

Check out this thread by Gordon where he goes into installation details with pictures and models
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-119716.html
Old 09-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #26

Forgot to mention:

Thermostatic controls don't control volume - only the temperature. Sometimes the valve itself comes as a combo but it will have separate handles for volume and for temperature

Tags
heater, water, water heater