Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

Lost power to all circuits on inverter loop

Hi -- apologies in advance as I'm sure I'm going to use the wrong words to describe parts of my electrical system

We've owned our XLT 45CA for about a week now and yesterday, we started to lose power to microwave, refrigerator, power outlets, etc. Things started while we were vacuuming -- things would all stop working, then a few minutes later come back on. After a few cycles of that, it all stopped and won't come back.

At first I thought it was GFCIs tripping, so checked those, and nope -- no green light at all.

So I starting tracing power from pedestal (50a, both legs working well) to the circuit box and made sure everything is good. Inside the breaker box, I noticed we have three buses -- one for each side of the 50A and a third that I'm guessing goes to the inverter. Both buses for shore power are good; the third is completely dead. I checked the house batteries, all good there. 12V is leaving that compartment on the "To Inverter" wire (massive, 6gauge maybe?)

So this makes me think the inverter has an issue. I have looked all over, and I can't seem to find it. I'm hoping it's a loose wire, blown fuse, etc...

Has anyone seen this before? Do you know where the inverter is on a 2022 45CA?
jons911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #2

Inberter is Mounted in between chassis rails. 1st compartment behind freezer.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

I never would have found it.

Sure enough the breaker was tripped. Pushing it back and things are all good now. I learned a ton about the RVs electrical system on this adventure.

Thank you so much. You saved me a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #4

Heres a doc that may answer some questions.Berkshire RV Power Presentation-1.pdf
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:52 AM   #5

Yes definitely very helpful. Confirms some things I thought were happening and gives a lot of visibility into the whole system. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #6

I had a similar problem ( not to say yours is the same) but I had no power to anything that went through the inverter- no refrig, GFI outlets, microwave, tv,s etc. After 2 days of searching every possible circuit with the multimeter as a last resort I opened the junction box on the inverter where all the wires are connected. To my surprise I found a large “wire nut” with a crack Replaced the wire nut and everything started to work again. A fluke thing but at least I found it without having to spend large amounts of dollars having an RV tech searching.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
I never would have found it.

Sure enough the breaker was tripped. Pushing it back and things are all good now. I learned a ton about the RVs electrical system on this adventure.

Thank you so much. You saved me a trip to the dealer.
Most GOOD residential vacuum cleaners pull a whole bunch of amperage. We use a Chinese knockoff of a Dyson rechargable in the coach and when we need more we use the household one, but only on a non inverter circuit, and on a good shore line with nothing else a/c running.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #8

Inverter Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post

So this makes me think the inverter has an issue. I have looked all over, and I can't seem to find it. I'm hoping it's a loose wire, blown fuse, etc...

Has anyone seen this before? Do you know where the inverter is on a 2022 45CA?
After you locate the inverter, on the side of the inverter is a 30A Manual reset breaker. #16 on the attached a pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ME 2812 CB's.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	276012  
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0801 View Post
After you locate the inverter, on the side of the inverter is a 30A Manual reset breaker. #16 on the attached a pic for reference.
In post #3 the OP indicated they had found the inverter and the breaker was tripped.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #10

why is the inverter in use if connected to shore power?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
why is the inverter in use if connected to shore power?
The AC Breaker box is split into two buses. One bus is fed from the inverter for essentials like fridge, kitchen, microwave, and bathroom. The second bus is fed from the transfer switch which is connected to shore power and the generator. This second bus feeds nonessentials like washer/dryer, HVACs, fireplace, etc. The inverter is powered via this bus when shore power or generator is running, or the inverter is powered by the batteries. So given this, if the inverted is broken, you will not have power to the essential AC bus.
Sunvalley ID RVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power