RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

lost power to part of the coach

I got a Forest River 38A, Class A

Had the washer/dryer running, the microwave, and one AC. sounded like a I blew a breaker, lost my lights, the touch screen control panel. none of the switches by the exit door work, and the "house disconnect" button by the front door will not work.

The Washer/dryer, microwave, refrigerator, plugs all still work. I have a surge protector and it says the wiring is correct, the shore power light is on for the Auto transfer switch and the batteries are still charging.

None of the breaker are flipped, I turned them all on and off. I cant see any fuses that look to be out, although the digital screen in the fuse box is not working so I only did a manual check.

Not sure if there is any other breaker box or something like that, that I may a have flipped.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Hmm it seems like everything inoperational is 12 volt DC. You would think that these items would work off the battery if something happened to the 120 volt AC (the converter).

We have a berkshire rep on the forums who may can help but it being Thanksgiving, they as well as other members may not be on the forums to read this.

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #3

It might help those with similar model coaches help you if you let us know what year your coach is. In our coach, there are several large breakers mounted on the walls of the battery bay. You might check those to see if one tripped for some reason. On ours, an "arm" on the top of the breaker pops up when tripped - just push it down to reset.

I have found that none of the 12v systems work if the house batteries are disconnected (either through a tripped breaker or the battery cut-off switch in the bay), even if connected to shore power.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saner View Post

Had the washer/dryer running, the microwave, and one AC. sounded like a I blew a breaker, lost my lights, the touch screen control panel. none of the switches by the exit door work, and the "house disconnect" button by the front door will not work.

The Washer/dryer, microwave, refrigerator, plugs all still work. I have a surge protector and it says the wiring is correct, the shore power light is on for the Auto transfer switch and the batteries are still charging.

None of the breaker are flipped, I turned them all on and off. I cant see any fuses that look to be out, although the digital screen in the fuse box is not working so I only did a manual check.

Not sure if there is any other breaker box or something like that, that I may a have flipped.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Check the inverter/charger which has a reset button. Press the button (I believe it is red ) it reset the inverter.
I hope this works for you. Good luck
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Check the inverter/charger which has a reset button. Press the button (I believe it is red ) it reset the inverter.
I hope this works for you. Good luck
Did you mean the converter/charger? An inverter would supply 120v AC power, but itís the 12 volt items that are apparently inoperative.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Did you mean the converter/charger? An inverter would supply 120v AC power, but itís the 12 volt items that are apparently inoperative.

There is a large fuse 125 amp in the battery compartment that may be blown. Depending on the coach there may be more than one and/or a higher amperage. That is for the battery system.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #7

Tech Support

Also, Forest River has a great tech support line. (Might be closed for the holidays, though.) They are helpful and enthusiastic. 574.642.2640.
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #8

We you running generator or on shore power?
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #9

This may help diagnose. Berkshire RV Power Presentation (1).pdf
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #10

Check pedestal breaker if you are on shore power
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
It might help those with similar model coaches help you if you let us know what year your coach is. In our coach, there are several large breakers mounted on the walls of the battery bay. You might check those to see if one tripped for some reason. On ours, an "arm" on the top of the breaker pops up when tripped - just push it down to reset.

I have found that none of the 12v systems work if the house batteries are disconnected (either through a tripped breaker or the battery cut-off switch in the bay), even if connected to shore power.
The year is a 2018, "38A"
Old 11-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #12

I running off the shore power.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
...far N Georgia!

Exclamation

this is nothing to do with 120v shore power, it is all 12v related, which is your BATTERIES, and the wiring to and from them to all your 12v lights, fans, and other systems that have to do with 12v power, or even those that 'control' 120v appliances, like the air conditioner, with 12v power thru the Thermostat.

it's likely you tripped the Main Buss Fuse/Breaker within your battery compartment, which controls all your power between the Battery bank and your fuse panel. Find the Buss Fuse/Breaker located probably on the wall near the batteries, where a little yellow 'flag' might be poking out - push it back in...

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 110k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Saner,
IS the inverter on? If so does the MRC50 panel show a red fault light? try resetting the inverter, there is a push button on the back of the inverter, push and hold that button in and the green ready light will strobe identifying that the inverter is being reset. also on the side of the inverter is a push button circuit breaker, push it in and it should reset.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #15

150A Mega Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saner View Post

Check the 150A/12V Breaker located in the House Battery Compartment.
(See Attached pic)
Attached Images

red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maingler View Post
This may help diagnose. Attachment 243679
This is a great powerpoint showing the basics. I saved it for future distribution to people that are having issues. It will save me a lot of typing.
ercjr110165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power