Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #1

Lots and lots of reading...

Hello folks. Looks like we will be accepting delivery of a new to us 2013 390RB next week (see previous "new kid" post). I have been going through all of the post in the "Berk" section here and learning a lot (dangerous, I know). I have had 4 different RVs now over the years (1 TT and 3 FW) and one thing now appears VERY obvious to me. MHs sure seem to have a lot more things to deal with/work on than what I am used to (which I already knew) My current FW (2012 Montana) has a lot of the same creature comforts, but nowhere near as complex as the MH seems to be. I am fairly "handy" with stuff, but boy oh boy, looks like it is going to take years to figure out everything in the MH. Still very much looking forward to the MH adventure! Some of the initial things I have learned to watch for or be cautious of- step operation, water heater issues, genset exercising, rodent issues (used to that one), low battery/transmission issues and a few others. Hope ya'll don't get tired of me asking questions here (don't worry I will always attempt to search for the answer here before bringing up an old topic). -Glenn
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

Subsailer
Most of the issues that you mention are not very common and several are misunderstandings.

As I stated in your post "New Kid on the Block", the water heater and most serious is the weight issue as I stated in that thread. You need to study and comprehend the weight issue yourself. Since the weight issue does not raise its ugly head like something that breaks or malfunctions, its not reported a lot and many probably do not know it is a problem for them.

Get your prospective MH weighed!

Hank
Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Thanks Hank, I just put that on my list for the dealer to do prior to leaving there for delivery. I know the weight issue can be the a real issue that folks don't know about or sometimes ignore. With my other RVs it was something I always paid attention to.
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Thanks Hank, I just put that on my list for the dealer to do prior to leaving there for delivery. I know the weight issue can be the a real issue that folks don't know about or sometimes ignore. With my other RVs it was something I always paid attention to.
I suggest that you get the tire size and weighing before you make a big trip.
Hank
Old 11-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Before you accept delivery, check the date code on the tires. With it being a 2013, if the tires on it show much more than 2-3 years old, I would tell the dealer they need to be replaced. What you're looking for is the last four digits after the DOT stamp. There's a lot of opinions out there, but if they're more than 7 years old, I would definitely get new tires before a long trip. You're probably talking about $3,500 or so for a full set with stems, etc. As for the water heater, if you have a tank type, you most likely won't have any issues. It's the demand (tankless) type that can be a pain but mostly you just need to understand how they work. There are a lot of different things that can cause them to malfunction but they're all fairly simple to troubleshoot and repair. Have fun regardless - all you can do is go with the flow. All will eventually be fine!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote