Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

LP Safety Shutoff

I have a 2008 Berk. I was told by the "dealer" I bought this from that there is an electronic LP shutoff valve that "can misbehave" and stop the flow of LP from the tank to the coach.

My LP was flowing and I had the furnace and stove working just fine for quite a while. I have 2/3 of a tank right now and I'm getting no LP to anything.

My first thought was that valve. I just had a bunch of electrical work done (new transfer switch, and alternator relay switch put in)...was thinking maybe that reset the switch/valve?

Can anyone give me thoughts on what to check/how to diagnose further? And I'd like to know where that valve is at too...assuming by the tank, but not sure.

Thanks!
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

smo99,
have you checked the gas detector which is by the floor? Not sure what model you have but there is a detector which is mid-ship and it should be flashing green. There is a reset or 'on/off' button on it (don't remember which). If it gets tripped it will stop the flow of propane.
Just a thought.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Will do. It was flashing green the other day, but I didn't check that today. Will do and report back.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

Tmmar, you were correct. I think one of the cats may have hit the switch and turned off the LP sensor. I flipped it on and had to wiggle the switch til it stopped chirping (and there was no gas leak), and then the green light started blinking.

However, I still can't get the hot water heater to fire up. It's been on and has hot water via the electric element. Should I turn off the electric and let it cool down and see if it fires up? I ran the hot water for a few minutes figuring cool water would come into the tank and make it want to fire up.

Suggestions are definitely welcome! Thanks again for the easy answer Tmmar!

Mark...
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

A test on the stove should be sufficient to know if propane is flowing.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

If it turns out that only your water heater will not light, let me tell you about my experience with a camping friend last weekend.

His tank type water heater would light, stay on for a minute and go off. It then took a long time before it would do the same. I found his three bypass valves (under the kitchen counter) were in the winter position - Dah!

Not saying this is your problem.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #7

I have gas flowing to the stove...I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can look at/fix/test on the water heater (ie igniter, power to igniter, etc.)? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

smo99
Have you considered what I just posted to you a few minutes ago?

Also with regards to tank type heaters, spiders can prevent its starting. Open the outside cover and use a vacuum to blow in the gas burning port. Also there is a thermal fuse hanging close to the burner port. This is to prevent back-fires that might burn down your rig. If it is bad, the burner will not start.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

Mark,
Was the water heater working on gas prior to the LP leak detector switch issue? You may have some air in the system as a result of the propane not flowing. Try turning on the stove burner for a few minutes to see if there is any air in the system and then try the water heater again. Hope that this works.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety