Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Macerator toilet electrical question

Our Thetford Tecma macerator toilet went dead today - no operation or light on the switch. The manual calls for a 30a circuit breaker, but there's only one 30a CB in the below-bed panel and it's OK. Also, no indication on the 12V distribution panel directory for a toilet.

Might there be another panel somewhere for this toilet?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Dragonship Captain

It's all 12V.... no CB involved.

Are the lights on the panel on? If so what colors are you seeing?

Are you a multiplex bus or a steam bus?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

No lights on the panel switch.
It's a Precision Plex panel.

Toilet was inop during yesterday's travel. But noticed switch lights back on when we parked for the night. However, lights off this morning. Looks like maybe loose connection. Checked for connection at back of switch, but wire is molded into the back, so no way to check there for loose.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #4

Addendum to last post

A few hours after the last post, the switches were still unlit, but I tried a flush anyway - it flushed and the lights came on and stayed lit. Also, no unleveling or any MH movement during the downtime.

This has happened before and I expect it'll happen again.

Very puzzling to me...
Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

On 2018 & earlier Legacy, Berkshire & Berkshire XL models, your 30A Circuit breaker is located in the storage compartment to the rear of the battery compartment (to the right of the hydraulic pump).

On Berkshire XLT units the 30A circuit breaker is going to be in the upper right corner of the same storage compartment as the Power Reel.

Assuming your interior lights are still functional & you have power to your PrecPlex Panel (12V Fuse Panel under the bed). A simple way to determine if you have power to the 30A circuit breaker is to verify your CO detector is functional. If your CO detector is functional check the 30A Circuit breaker, if your CO detector is inoperative, check the connection from the House Battery Disconnect Solenoid.
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
A few hours after the last post, the switches were still unlit, but I tried a flush anyway - it flushed and the lights came on and stayed lit. Also, no unleveling or any MH movement during the downtime.

This has happened before and I expect it'll happen again.

Very puzzling to me...
Hello John, this is normal operation. The panel will go into a “sleep” mode after a period of inactivity. Once you touch it it will “wake” again with the panel lights lit. Nothing to worry about my friend.
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #7

Good info, guys!

Although it turned out to be intermittent, that seemed to rule out the CB, unless it was automatically resetting. But now I know where it is.

The sleep mode would explain the symptoms most of the time, but I believe there were times when it wouldn't wake up. I'll keep an eye on it and keep detailed notes if it recurs.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #8

Macerate Toilet

My 2019 Berkshire 40 D has that toilet and I had a similar problem. I never did find the fuse. That said I agree on lights going out when it goes into sleep mode. I was monitoring tank levels when it stopped working. There is a device that stops the toilet from flushing when the tank registers full. You can force a flush by holding both buttons. I drained my tank but the toilet didn’t work until I’d driven a while. Perhaps the full sensor was swished clean. No problems since.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #9

Macerator Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0801 View Post
On 2018 & earlier Legacy, Berkshire & Berkshire XL models, your 30A Circuit breaker is located in the storage compartment to the rear of the battery compartment (to the right of the hydraulic pump).

On Berkshire XLT units the 30A circuit breaker is going to be in the upper right corner of the same storage compartment as the Power Reel.

Assuming your interior lights are still functional & you have power to your PrecPlex Panel (12V Fuse Panel under the bed). A simple way to determine if you have power to the 30A circuit breaker is to verify your CO detector is functional. If your CO detector is functional check the 30A Circuit breaker, if your CO detector is inoperative, check the connection from the House Battery Disconnect Solenoid.
I don't find a 30A circuit breaker in any of my storage compartments. Looking for a traditional breaker switch...is that what it will look like?

The macerator toilet in our coach is suddenly dead. No light on the panel at all. Nothing else in the Berkshire 38a is not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Slobberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #10

This thread might help...

Check this: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...op-213998.html

I finally found my breaker in the hydraulic bay. It's a mini-breaker; looks like a black strip about 1" wide x 2.5" or so high. It was side-by-side with another one and fed from a connection at the house disconnect solenoid.

Attached photo shows HDS circled right, breaker circled left, macerator heavy gauge red wire at arrow. I know, it's a lousy pic; I can send a better one if you need.

Would help to identify your rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator CB.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	239996  
Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

38A Macerator Mini Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobberdog View Post
I don't find a 30A circuit breaker in any of my storage compartments. Looking for a traditional breaker switch...is that what it will look like?

The macerator toilet in our coach is suddenly dead. No light on the panel at all. Nothing else in the Berkshire 38a is not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached is a pic of the style of circuit breaker (short stop) you'll find. On the 38A, first locate House battery compartment, next locate the Hydralic Pump in the compartment rearward of the battery compartment. Inside the compartment with the Hydralic Pump, on the right hand side (almost hidden @ the top of the compartment) are the Circuit Breakers for the Macerator, CO Detector & possibly the Furnace (depending on the year).
Does your CO detector still function? If so, you know everything up to the breaker has +12V. After we confirm the 30A CB has +12V out we need to look into Macerator control systems.
@ that point it may be time to contact tect support @ Forest River for additional assistance.
Mike Winterrowd
Warranty Plant 40
(574)296-9641
MWinterrowd@forestriverinc.com
Attached Images

red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

Hyd Res

Can you start another post to discuss the Hydraulic Reservoir levels? That would help a lot of new owners.
Thanks.q
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #13

Thank you DogFather AND Red0801. This is not the sort of breaker I was looking for, so I'll have to look again.

I have a 2016 38A and it seems to be slightly different from the descriptions so far. The engine and house battery bays are separated by the inverter bay. All of which are on the opposite side of the coach from the hydralic pump.

There is power to the CO detector - didn't try the furnace.

The photos really help. I did notice in route that the blue lighting for the control panel came back on. The indicator on the bottom right was still not lit and I could not convince it do anything. I don't know if that's progress or just pointing to the control unit rather than the breaker.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappfarmer View Post
Can you start another post to discuss the Hydraulic Reservoir levels? That would help a lot of new owners.
Thanks.q
Always check the level of hydraulic oil with the slides and levelers/stabilizers retracted.

If you check the oil level while they are extended, you will find that the level of oil is low. If you then fill to the full line you will have a mess when you retract the slides and levelers.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #15

Here's a better pic of what I found. Yours (being on driver side) might be in a strip of 7 breakers. Heaviest wire would probably be for the macerator.

Also, those marks on the tape on my hyd tank are (top-bottom):
Full, then
adding jacks down,
adding passenger side full wall slide out,
adding driver side dinette slide out
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #16

I have found what appears to be a 6 CB bar (pic attached I hope) in the inverter bay. Every breaker read 13.2v on the top side; bottom being the common feed.

So, I guess I need to look into pulling the commode to fet to it's electrical components next. Does that sound right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_135937.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	240076  
Old 09-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #17

There also used to be an inline glass fuse just behind the stool. It was a yellow fuse holder.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Thanks for the help thus far. I've finally gotten to a place I can work on this problem further. I unsecured the toilet from the floor to access the back and tried the old wiggle all the connections trick. This returned lights to the switch but didn't respond. After leaving it for the night, I woke it from sleep mode and the sensor reads green. It filled and flushed. So I put it all back together and then it refused to flush again. Took it apart. The lights look good, the sensor is green, but nothing responds. Any idea how I can test if it is the 2 button switch or the controller that is causing the problem?
Old 10-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #19

I haven't gotten to the crux of my problem yet. Just wiggled the wires until it worked, then zip-tied them in that position. Been working OK since but, I know, an imminent outage waiting to happen. I'll deal with it when I have time or when it fails again.

My guess is that you have a loose connection where your wall panel wiring connects to whatever it's signaling. You've shown that the panel is getting power, the macerating equipment and flushing solenoid work, and the controller seems to be operating and sequencing the system normally.

Maybe we have the same issue...
Old 10-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #20

Sounds like the same problem.

After reassembling for the third time, it has worked at least once. Never-the-less, I've ordered a new switch. The switch is sealed with epoxy, so there's no way to see if something is loose there and they are pretty pricey. With COVID, they are also out of stock everywhere for now...so it's on backorder. A fairly expensive trial and error solution.

Tags
electric, electrical