Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #21

Himcules is spot on. My coach is in storage so I'm stating this from memory. It is critical to set the correct battery type and I believe there was a calc for amp hours. With that, you can adjust the charge rate which I believe I entered 70%. You can also set parameters for how low the batteries can get and then a cut-out parameter for power issues.

I know the models are slightly different but this "smarter" control has totally solved my battery issues. Since topping them off last, I've not had any boil over at all. It is nice to see the system actually cycle through float and bulk. It is also nice to see the charger status at a glance.

Hope it serves you all well into the future!

Jeff
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #22

Thank you all for great advice. I did the control panel instal today and scraped and painted the battery bay. I added the absorb pads and hope this will be the last of the boil over corrosion problems. The advice we get here is great. Thanks again for all the people who contributed to this thread. I will update in a month or so how it performs.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #23

Got mine and installed it the same day. Set the charge rate to 50% and my battery problems seem to have disappeared.

It's a really slick control. If you have a Magnum Auto Gen Start, it will even make sure the genset is shutdown during park "quiet hours" then restart it next morning as needed. All you have to do is set the hours allowed to run and the hours that you can't run. Quite intelligent!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #24

Boohoo - that's great. I always hate to recommend things since what works for you may not necessarily work for someone else - but I too have had great results by switching out the original Magnum controller.

Safe travels!
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Got mine and installed it the same day. Set the charge rate to 50% and my battery problems seem to have disappeared.

Boowho??
boo,
I thought that once you set the battery type that the charge curve is automatically set. How were you able to set it at 50% charge rate?
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
I thought that once you set the battery type that the charge curve is automatically set. How were you able to set it at 50% charge rate?
Tom
you can manually set the charge rate as well. that will override the charge curve.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
Tom
I just took the easy way out until I could read the manual a bit more. I think the proper way is to set the battery type (flooded) and then adjust the charge rate to match the total amp/hrs of the particular stack you have.

Still trying to figure out what the extra (about 14 gauge) black wire (not the temp sensor and not a power carrying cable) is for. Anyone?

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote