Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Maine trip ideas

We are looking to go to Maine this summer, anyone have any ideas? We always go south and really wanted a change of pace. Is the Bar Harbor area the best? We like to eat out and stroll through shops, etc.
gpalladinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #2

If you have the time following RT 1 all the way to Eastport then north to FT Kent and follow RT 11 southbound is an awesome trip. You'll go through small towns and see a really laid back way of life. There's plenty of tourist attractions too. Campobello Island (FDR's house) is across the bridge from Lubec. Heading through Presque Isle you'll swear that you're in Kansas. Ft Kent is the northern end of RT 1. Coming back south on 11 you can swing through Millinocket with a side trip on the Golden Road to Abol Bridge. You can take short hikes on the AT or into Baxter State Park. Then south to Moosehead Lake and Greenville. We did it last summer and I'm looking forward to it again.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

We enjoyed Bar Harbor and Acadia National park. The narrows too campground was a great place to stay. Water views and a lobster pound near the entrance. Can't go wrong.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Maritime Museum in Bath.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

We're headed to Bangor, ME this summer from near Houston so it'll take us a little longer than it will for you.... We plan on heading that way July 17... Then heading over to Goshen...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

I've been to camden 3 times though not in a camper :-)
Some friends who are FTimers have settled in the area for
the last 2 years. I'm going back in May this year.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #7

stayed at the KOA in bar harbor about 8 years ago. very nice- they have a shuttle service to town. Nice so you do not have to drive- or if someone want to head back to camp early.

Its on my list to return to.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

I can't comment on camp grounds, but I lived in Winter Harbor, Me for a year (military) back in 1971-72. I'm sure it's changed a lot since, but I thought Bar Harbor was great for walking through shops.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

Maine

Heading North:
On Rout 1 in Lincolnville by the ferry landing you will find the best clam chowder we have ever tasted. If you take Route 1 north from Kittery their are plenty of places to camp and enjoy. If you like seafood that is the route to take. You can stay overnite Dry Camping at LL Beans, they provide an area. Camden, Rockport, Belfast, Thomaston all grat places.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
We enjoyed Bar Harbor and Acadia National park. The narrows too campground was a great place to stay. Water views and a lobster pound near the entrance. Can't go wrong.
X2 - That is exactly what we did last year. If you like to hike, Acadia is great, go hike and then build up a appetite for the lobster, (I guess we really didn't have to build up an appetite but the hikes were great). The Narrows Two campground was great also.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

We toured Maine many years ago and I am dying to do it again. Went in the latter part of August; crowds are down due to upcoming school year. Did not pre-reserve campgrounds. Here is some of our highlights:

*Followed Rt-1 all the way from the south to Mt Desert Island.
*Drove around Kennebunkport to see Kennedy's compound (not much to see).
*Camped around Freeport; the headquarters of LL Bean. Freeport does have municipal RV parking which we did not know. Not sure if over-nite is allowed.
*Stayed at several campgrounds over-looking the water.
*Did many excursions in the car into the many peninsula's and stopped at fisheries to buy lobster. Lobster also sold at Lobster Pounds and by trucks on the road.
*Toured Booth Bay Harbor (scenic and shops)
*My opinion, Camden was the most scenic town. View it from Camden Hills State Park atop of Mt. Battie (as well as in Camden).
*Stayed at the Bar Harbor campground (they take no reservations) in Bar Harbor and on Mount Desert Island.
* Toured in car, all of Mount Desert Island Acadia Park and Cadillac Mountain. A lot to see there; Thunder Hole, Light Houses and more

Ahh, I am dying for that lobster!
Hank
Old 02-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalladinob View Post
We are looking to go to Maine this summer, anyone have any ideas? We always go south and really wanted a change of pace. Is the Bar Harbor area the best? We like to eat out and stroll through shops, etc.
If you make it up around Maine (don't know if you have a TT or motor camper), swing on up/over through New Hampshire, Vermont, back across New York and on back down to New Jersey. You'll see lots of interesting areas and things to do. August is normally the best time, not heat or humidity.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #13

Lobster

If you are heading up 95 through maine, I suggest you make a stop at About Us - Erica's Seafood, Inc., IF you want cheap fresh lobster fresh from the ocean. We have been going there for six years on our trips to maine from ohio. Tom will pack them in fresh seaweed, he rowed the boat out last year to pack our very large cooler which we brought 40 live lobsters back. They will live several days so you do not have to eat them the same day. The cheapest we got was 4.50 a pound and the most $6. Great people, about 25 minutes east of Brunswick Maine. I bought a 3 pounder for $15 two years ago. Beat that the claws where as big as my hands. Plus they sale, local butter....
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We're headed to Bangor, ME this summer from near Houston so it'll take us a little longer than it will for you.... We plan on heading that way July 17... Then heading over to Goshen...

I was born and raised in Bangor Maine. If you like seafood go to Eagles Nest in Eddington Maine. Rt. 9 out of Brewer, Maine. Right across the river from Bangor. Make sure you don't have camper because parking is tight. It does not look like anything from the outside but great food.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
We toured Maine many years ago and I am dying to do it again. Went in the latter part of August; crowds are down due to upcoming school year. Did not pre-reserve campgrounds. Here is some of our highlights:

*Followed Rt-1 all the way from the south to Mt Desert Island.

*Drove around Kennebunkport to see Kennedy's compound (not much to see).

*Camped around Freeport; the headquarters of LL Bean. Freeport does have municipal RV parking which we did not know. Not sure if over-nite is allowed.

*Stayed at several campgrounds over-looking the water.

*Did many excursions in the car into the many peninsula's and stopped at fisheries to buy lobster. Lobster also sold at Lobster Pounds and by trucks on the road.

*Toured Booth Bay Harbor (scenic and shops)

*My opinion, Camden was the most scenic town. View it from Camden Hills State Park atop of Mt. Battie (as well as in Camden).

*Stayed at the Bar Harbor campground (they take no reservations) in Bar Harbor and on Mount Desert Island.

* Toured in car, all of Mount Desert Island Acadia Park and Cadillac Mountain. A lot to see there; Thunder Hole, Light Houses and more

Ahh, I am dying for that lobster!

Hank

Kennebunkport is the Bush compound. The Kennedy compound is by Hyannis port Ma.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #16

So right rmac and thank you for the correction; I had a brain spasm!
Hank
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #17

Maine trip ideas

Has anyone made the trip from the Montreal area to Bar Harbor, Me? We are planning to travel from Ontario to Montreal (in mid July) & then on to Bar Harbor crossing the US border into Maine. Possibly returning to Ontario thru New York State with a stop in Lake George. Any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated. Mainly interested in routing, road condition & gas stops with a class c towing a jeep. Two weeks of travel time.

2016 Coachmen Freelander 26RS
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #18

While in the Bar Harbor area, a side trip to Stonington will give you a non touristy view of a real fishing village. The views on the way are worth the trip.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrver View Post
Has anyone made the trip from the Montreal area to Bar Harbor, Me? We are planning to travel from Ontario to Montreal (in mid July) & then on to Bar Harbor crossing the US border into Maine. Possibly returning to Ontario thru New York State with a stop in Lake George. Any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated. Mainly interested in routing, road condition & gas stops with a class c towing a jeep. Two weeks of travel time.

2016 Coachmen Freelander 26RS
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
If Lake George isn't a mandatory route/stop for you, consider Ft. Ticonderoga, NY. When crossing into NY from VT via the Rt.9 bridge, you will have a fantastic area and NY State Park on your left and the remnants of Ft. Ticonderoga on the right. The state park is right on the water and prices are reasonable.
Traveling on I-89 across Vermont can be quite hectic as everyone seems to think it's the German Autobahn, but the road is in good shape. Stay off VT Rt.2 between St. Johnsbury and Montpelier, VT if possible ~ that 2 lane road is miserable this year so far!
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
Insert witty title here

I'm a fan of Moosehead Lake. It's quiet, beautiful, lots of wildlife and pretty good fishing.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote