Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Max water pressure??

What is safe and reasonable for water from a park? I've seldom used a regulator although I've had one for a long time.

Yesterday I checked into a park and was warned at check in that their pressure is 110 lbs. I hooked up my trusty regulator for the first time in a year or so and it was set to 50 lbs.

It seems to me that is not enough pressure at the inside fixtures. Can I go higher without blowing the whole plumbing system apart?? If so, how much??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

I set my regulator at 50psi as well and found that to give sufficient water pressure in the coach. I think I remember someone posting that they pressure test the system in the coach to 80psi.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

50 psi is sufficient pressure, but you might have a low flow regulator causing your problem.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
50 psi is sufficient pressure, but you might have a low flow regulator causing your problem.

Campin Cajun is absolutely correct. I modified a whole house water regulator (added hose fittings). My Watts, brass regulator has a max setting at 60 PSI, which I never get that much pressure, as I measure at each campground.
Your problem is more than likely gallons per minute (GPM). Water hose regulators and the torpedo water filters greatly reduce GPM…which will in turn lower your PSI. You can reduce PSI without reducing GPM.

Because of the weight of the household regulator and chance for theft, I run the long water hose to my regulator that I have inside and run a small 3 foot hose from regulator to wall fixture of the coach.

Great Showers!!!
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Campin Cajun is absolutely correct. I modified a whole house water regulator (added hose fittings). My Watts, brass regulator has a max setting at 60 PSI, which I never get that much pressure, as I measure at each campground.
Your problem is more than likely gallons per minute (GPM). Water hose regulators and the torpedo water filters greatly reduce GPM…which will in turn lower your PSI. You can reduce PSI without reducing GPM.

Because of the weight of the household regulator and chance for theft, I run the long water hose to my regulator that I have inside and run a small 3 foot hose from regulator to wall fixture of the coach.

Great Showers!!!
So these regulators bought at a camping store don't have the flow capacity? Is that what you and CC are saying??

Maybe I'll check into one of those larger ones. Home Depot??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Boowho, check these regulators out. You can see how the GPM rates are different on some models.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

THe adjustable one are better but you will pay the differ. I think between 60 and 65 lbs is safe.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
So these regulators bought at a camping store don't have the flow capacity? Is that what you and CC are saying??

Maybe I'll check into one of those larger ones. Home Depot??

Boowho??

Yes, camping store store regulators restrict, even the best restrict water flow. I went to Lowes and bought this one:

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/spe...-z3-manual.pdf

Add two fittings and short hose and you are set.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Boowho, check these regulators out. You can see how the GPM rates are different on some models.

The Watts on this site are essentially the same, some come with a meter. If the regulator is already maxed out at 60-70 PSI, do you really need a meter built in? Something else to break? You can buy a separate Rainbird meter for $10.00 at Lowes and regulator for a lot less than $90.00 plus shipping. Add $10.00 for brass fittings and short hose.

Eitherway, an additional benefit with this type of regulator is that these will likely never have a clogged screen, but if they do, easy to clean. Camping store units, you throw them away.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

This is the one you want/need.
Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive
Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

The one Dan posted the link for is the one I have and it works very well!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Had an RV park once tell me that their pressure was very high. I installed my regulator but the pressure was poor. Suffered through the first couple of days. After talking and overhearing them say " I have to pay for water in the park and water out of the park, so no leaks." Later I wondered if their pressure was that high or if their water bill was that high. Took off the regulator and the pressure (48psi) was just fine.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post

Perhaps a little better than a straight line regulator water restrictor, but not much. I looked at the Valterra A01-1117VP. Good for occasional use but is prone to clogs. Biggest issue is flow rate. You will not find a manufacturers flow rate or GPM, from Valterra....wonder why?

If not creating my own, I would go to the website previously mentioned:

Their Watts Brass New Model 263A-LF Lead Free Adjustable Regulator, 10-65 range, 4-4.5 GPM. If this Watts is only getting 4 to 4.5 GPM, you can just imagine how poorly the Valterra performs.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

I have a non adjustable high flow rated at 55-60 psi. Works Great.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

I have an adjustable Watts and am seriously considering the Valterra A01-1122VP that hooks to the cg hose bib.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

I'm not saying they are all bad, however I had two Valterra regulators and both had poor brass castings. One leaked through the porous casting more like a weeping and the other separated where the female hose bib attached. My third one was a Watts and I haven't had a issue.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #17

Wow - 110 psi seems high. I always install a 60 psi regulator - don't trust campground pressures. If you are used to 110 psi pressure I can understand why installing a regulator with a much lower pressure limit results in decreased pressure within the RV.

You may want to take a look at the owner's manual to determine what maximum pressure is recommended.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Thanks for that. They have a new Fairview Hi-flow regulator that I just ordered for $24.95.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

I use the Watts that is pre calibrated (no gage) and fixed at 50psi. I also use a 5/8 hose to maintain as much volume as I can. Out performs any Valterra I ever had.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #20

I read the installation manual for the Gerard tankless heater and it stated that the heater requires 2.5 gallons per minute in order to work properly. Important consideration when choosing a regulator and/or filters. I use the Watts 263A and it works like a charm. (Now thinking the Doulton ceramic candle filter would make a great addition - high-flow rate and cleanable for long life)

RKC02

Tags
pressure, water