Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #1

Mounting location, Morningstar MPPT controller

I've been using 2 - 20 amp pwm controllers for my solar panels. I had my 2 controllers mounted in my battery box on the surface parallel (next to) with the engine. Morningstar's mounting instructions for the Prostar MPPT 40 controller brings concerns about heat transfer away from the controller. So I'm a little concerned about the battery box side that is next to the engine area.

Where has everyone else mounted their MPPT controllers?
Thanks, Ernie
Old 09-16-2021, 01:32 AM   #2

I’m no help here, but I noticed you have a 2014 400QL. Mine is a 2015 400QL which was not pre wired for solar. I am interested in how you added solar to your rig. Was this a DIY or did you have someone do it?
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

I did it myself. I talked to a professional installer and decided to do it myself. I went to my local welding shop and purchased aluminum angle (iron) and cut to short pieces for my mounting brackets of panels to roof. Then on my Berkshire and also the Winnebago I had before this one, there is a big gap between rear cap and the back wall (at least 6"), this is were I drilled my hole in the roof to drop the panel wiring down, then routed the wires over to my battery box and this is where my controller(s) are mounted. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #4

Thank you. It does help. I pulled the docs from the controller you mentioned and it answer the rest of my questions. I was unsure how the wiring from the invertor/charged should be installed.

Back to your question about excess heat...I had an invertor overheating issue. My temporary fix was to mount a 120 volt 4 inch box fan to assist with the cooling. I eventually replaced the charger/invertor...but it work in a pinch. Those box fans move a lot of air and can be easily tapped into a 120 volt source near the charger/invertor.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

In situations like what you described I would have got a computer fan and spliced into the 12 V system. But, nothing wrong with what you did.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

The 12 volt fans didn't have the capacity, so I went with a mainframe computer boxer fan. I had a case of them left over from my military simulator maintenance days.

Tags
cat, controller, location, mount