Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #41

For those who have had cataract surgery, did they give you any kind of sedative during the procedure? I'm going to have to have it done eventually, but can't stand having my eye examined, never mind an operation.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #42

no

with mine, I was awake the whole time but you don't feel a thing. I guess they do a local anesthetic. Maybe if you don't like having your eyes messed with they will put you out.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #43

Put you in whats called twilight sleep. Don't feel a thing, kind of aware but not really . Zero pain or discomfort at any point.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #44

Multi-focal Lens the way to go!

I got my first pair of glasses when I was 3 y.o and then had contacts as well for many years. Developed cataracts and went to Mann Eye Institute for surgery. I elected to pay for the multi-focal lens upgrade in lieu of the standard lenses and they have been worth every penny! Mann Eye Institute was amazing and now I have NO MORE GLASSES OR CONTACTS! On a rare occasion, I will use readers for "low light, tiny print"(get mine at Dollar Tree for a buck!).
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #45

I don't like driving at night because the lights seems fuzzy and blurry.
Maybe I have cataracts.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #46

Welcome back to the real colors of the world! Enjoy, I do.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I don't like driving at night because the lights seems fuzzy and blurry.
Maybe I have cataracts.
Yep. That's one of the symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrec27 View Post
For those who have had cataract surgery, did they give you any kind of sedative during the procedure?
The place I went to used both eye drops (two different applications about 20 minutes apart - anesthetic, I think) and then an injection. The injection was just under the lower eyelid and immobilized the eyeball so you couldn't move it during surgery. It wore off after about 5 hours. I was wide awake and aware for the entire procedure.

My brother, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law all used Kaiser Permanente and got only eye drops. My sister-in-law opted for the sedative that put her in that twilight state but said that she remembered the doctor kept telling her, "don't move your eye."

Either way, we're all happy with the results. Actual, in chair, operation is quick - - about 15 minutes per eye. No pain at all. Even the shot in the eye was no worse than the little prick you get when you check your blood with a glucose meter. The pre-op prep takes forever.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #48

I almost quit driving at night because the lights were so bad on my eyes, I had mine done a year ago wished I could have them done 10 years ago, get the surgery you will be surprised. No pain, in and out in an hour. Good luck
actionjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #49

Cateract Surgery

Best thing to happen for me. Within 24 hours, I was better off than I had been in 70 years.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #50

I am a retired RN, and have had numerous surgeries, including bilateral cataract repair at 51 years old. I know it was early.

When someone's having surgery and tell me they have the best surgeon around I ask who's doing the anesthesia and usually receive a blank stare. Remember that's the person that will be sure you leave the site of your surgery in a somewhat upright position.

My second point is that there is no such thing as slam dunk surgery. Yes, it may be low risk but you still are having an insult to a part of your body and, being the complex creatures we are, things can go wrong. Why would we need to sign "informed" consents if nothing ever went amiss?

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, far from it. Good luck with your cataract surgeries, you'll need your shades a lot lore because everything will be very bright.
Nurse David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #51

OK..... Question....

My first surgery was rescheduled for 2/19 with second on on 3/4....

I currently wear glasses - distance and up-close.....

Once first eye is done I’ll no longer need those glasses I’ve been told.... not quite sure how that’s gonna work.... for two weeks I’ll have a “new” eye on the fight but “old” eye on left and glasses for both “old” eyes....

Lol... do I just shut one eye for two weeks until second eye is done or what????
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #52

They replace the lens in your eye in this surgery with a solid lens. Your original can be moved somewhat by muscles in the eye to focus by changing the lens shape, as I understand it.

Thus you go from nearsighted to fairly normal vision. Those who had lasix are not so lucky and need additional lasix or glasses afterwords. Your opthamalogist takes readings of the lens shape for the new lens. The lasix eye was reshaped making getting it perfect, hard. But, you get cheater glasses for reading.

Docs discourage the multi focus lens. Because they are not perfect. Takes getting used to. They do not like the patient complaints. Because they are expensive! “This is what I get for $4000?”

Having had bifocal contacts I would have been the ideal patient. Same deal. However they will not make the lens for worse than 20/600 when mine were done.

Qualifying for cataract surgery is sort of how much bother your vision is. Loss of color. Loss of vision. Yellow haze. Difficulty driving at night.

If you want the operation use the above complaints. Several!

Insurance will pay!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #53

1 Have each eye done at separate times.Most Drs want this, in case.
2 I surprised my Dr when I asked to have lens to replicate the existing. I wanted to continue using my glasses. That continues some protection from branches etc. Also, have worn glasses for many decades and that is me. Walked out using existing Verilux Progressive Infiinities. Dr was taken back at first but quickly understood my reasoning. Remember there is a chance Dr won't hit 20/20, so will still need glasses anyway.
3 Dr told me lens comes rolled (or folded) and inserted thru small cut, and then unfolds.
4 I was very nervous for naught. Painless, quick, and nothing was visible as he performed procedure. A nothing to it event.
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #54

Had my left eye done in Dec and my right eye done last week. Great distance vision now, although the right eye is still adjusting. Close-up vision is terrible - even worse than before the procedure.

I've worn glasses since I was a kid, so I think I'll just end up going back to them for the most part. That way, there'll be no more wondering where I left my readers.

It's nice to know I don't need them for driving - I can see to the end of the road, I just can't read the dashboard or the GPS very well without them. I'll get progressive lenses with minimal distance correction, but proper magnification for computer work and reading. I work on a computer, and need something that will accommodate the different distances to the desktop and the monitor.
Stotes57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #55

I had a retina detachment/tear in 2 places in left eye. I had no idea what was happening. Went to retina doc. He repaired with laser, but, vision is poor in that, used to be dominant, eye. He guaranteed I would get a heavy duty cataract within a short time. That happened and I had a lens replacement. I did the post op drops per the doctor, but something happened requiring many months of drops before the inflammation/pain stopped. I still have occasional pain in that eye.

Now that I am 67 YO, the right eye is developing an age based cataract. Cat doctor wants to replace. Retina doctor says wait, do not take a chance with your 1 good eye. Wife does most of the driving now.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #56

One eye done - one to go!!!!

I’m absolutely amazed with the difference!!! Had right eye done yesterday AM and can’t get over the change....

Colors are sooooo much more vivid and have stopped needing my glasses.. (the left eye is still a tad fuzzy but the right eye now takes over and I can seeeere!!!!

Have left one done on 3/4 and then
I should be able to keep coach out of the ditches.....

(Typed this without glasses)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #57

Great news. Almost all cataract surgeries are successful and a blessing.
Nurse David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #58

wife had both eyes done last summer, at age 71, took two weeks... she wore glasses all of her adult life, now she does not... medicare paid for basic and we had to pony up about $1400 total for the upgraded lens... would certainly do it again

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO Bill View Post
This reply is to Moodman;
Yes, I think its starting.
Just an update about me...
Got back from the Eye Dr. today and he told me that although my corrected eyesight with glasses is 20/20, he said that the eye charts almost universally used at in black and white. That means a high contrast reading medium!

Then I told him I have trouble with contrast. For example, I can read black on white print with glasses. But if you put that same size text on a gray background with black print, I would not be able to read it.

He then said that another question he can ask to determine if insurance will pay for cataract surgery is whether it is impacting your daily life chores. I said "Yes, it does!", even though technically I see 20/20. I really do have trouble reading, even with glasses. The point is that just because the Dr. can't see a bad cataract or that you pass your eye test doesn't mean that your vision isn't impaired.

So, since lenses put in after cataract surgery are only one power, I can opt for one eye close focus and the other far away. But before surgery, he recommended testing that idea out by putting in a contact lens in one eye to see if my brain can adapt to it. Some people can't. I'm scheduled for a followup day to test the theory. If it works, then I will be going for the surgery. Kind of like "try before you buy" philosophy.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #60

I don't think the colors stay that vivid the long run. While your vision does improve, Your eyes are dilated so everything seems bright and vivid. They will level out in a couple of weeks. Enjoy the vivid colors while you have it. The lights at night is very bright too.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote