Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Must be getting old.....

Finally happened- having double cataract surgery this month..... eye #1 - 2/12; eye #2 - 2/26....

Hope I end up with bionic ones (see thru walls and 2 miles down the road!!!

Guess we’ll spend all of February here in Tyler....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Don't worry. Today, it is a slam dunk procedure - and you won't have to worry about cataracts again.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

My first (left eye) 2/21/18, right eye 11/21/18. I had Lasix in my 40s so I didn't come out at 20/20 in either eye, but still a darn sight better than when the first was diagnosed. Went from seeing the correct number of fingers at 3 ft to barely being able to see the shadow of a hand at 2 ft. Best eye surgeon in Tucson and the cataract was so dense they couldn't do a good measurement of my lens until they had removed the cataract during the surgery.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Pacemaker here. I told my wife "you get the best Valentines Day gift yet...my heart". Kind of ironic that it's also National Heart Month. Who wouldda thunk??
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #5

ernest917: see through walls?

Too powerful - I just want to see through clothes!!!

Seriously though, I wish you the best - and as CurtPutnam said, these days this surgery is routine.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

Get a laser. It's just a little expensive and insurance won't cover it but my father insisted he wants plus there is a laser now that would make your vision clearer. Probably gonna need this after few years!
pureheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Had my cataract surgery a couple of years ago, that also required lens replacement. Nice thing is no more glasses, except on occasion for reading. Insurance covered most of it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

My wife has had both of hers done (lens replacements). My last visit my eye doctor said I was finally starting to show signs they were developing in one eye. Not bad enough to notice or require surgery yet though.

My wife can see perfect at distance now and just needs readers for up close. She only needs the ones from the drug store or Walmart and not the expensive prescription readers. Good thing, as I don't know how many pair she has lost (we keep them in strategic locations around the house now)
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #9

Ernest— At least you will now be able see down the road as you drive that big Berk and not rely on Tommi for where to turn. LOL. Enjoy your time this summer as a camp host in a NP.

Having worked in the industry, cataract surgery is a very minimal risk. I have had both eyes done. Good luck.
Marty
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #10

The cataract surgery is the happiest place in the hospital!

The nurses said tomorrow I would understand.

I went from 20/1300 to 20/25 in a heartbeat. The 20/1200 in the other eye to 20/25. Now I know why it is the happiest wing of the hospital.

Painless.

i wanted bifocal lens but, the manufacturers do not make them for eyes as bad as mine. Bifocal lenses are expensive and are not a miracle. Since I had bifocal contacts they would have worked for me.

Docs do not like to use them as there is a getting used to period and just ok performance. The do not like the bad press.

You will be happy.

Anyone with modified corneas gets poorer results than no Lasic patients. If you can get the lasix docs information on specs, your Cataract doc can do better.

I do not need glasses. If you had lasix the results likely will not be as good.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Hey Marty.... Great to hear from you... pack everyone up and come visit us in Custer this summer.... I’ll take you guys on a private VIP tour of The Crazy Horse Memorial.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Finally happened- having double cataract surgery this month..... eye #1 - 2/12; eye #2 - 2/26....

Hope I end up with bionic ones (see thru walls and 2 miles down the road!!!

Guess we’ll spend all of February here in Tyler....

Good Luck!

I had one done by VA couple of years ago. Yeah I know the VA
But everything was great and I enjoy my new bionic eye. And for some weird reason my other eye got better vision all by itself

No contacts or glasses required except for real tiny or dark reading.

Have fun!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Hey Marty.... Great to hear from you... pack everyone up and come visit us in Custer this summer.... I’ll take you guys on a private VIP tour of The Crazy Horse Memorial.....

I wish we could visit you this summer but we are all booked up with several graduations, some rallies and a family visit in Delaware , Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Maybe next year. We were to that area several summers ago and really enjoyed the area. Lots of things to do.
Keep safe and wishing you smooth roads. Hopefully ours paths will cross in the not to distant future.

All the best to you and Tommi
Marty
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #14

When I get mine done I want the lenses that see through clothes also. I hope my wife doesn't read this.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
When I get mine done I want the lenses that see through clothes also. I hope my wife doesn't read this.
Since most of the folks I hang out with are my age, no way I want to be able to see through clothes. Retina damage would surely occur!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #16

I had mine done 12 years ago. Till then I wore one contact for what they call "monocular vision", so I was used to different focus distance in each eye. When I got the operation, I had them put a close focus lens in one eye and a far focus in the other. Couldn't be happier! I can read small print and see signs down the road as well. If you think you can adapt, you should seriously consider this.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #17

I had mine done quite a while back, could.see clearly as.soon as he set the.lense in my eye, back to work the next day.
wiandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Don't worry. Today, it is a slam dunk procedure - and you won't have to worry about cataracts again.
My wife would differ! Her cornea tore the next day and had to have emergency surgery. That started a 2 year rehab! Still has issues 7 years later. No surgery is a slam dunk!
thompsonbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
My first (left eye) 2/21/18, right eye 11/21/18. I had Lasix in my 40s so I didn't come out at 20/20 in either eye, but still a darn sight better than when the first was diagnosed. Went from seeing the correct number of fingers at 3 ft to barely being able to see the shadow of a hand at 2 ft. Best eye surgeon in Tucson and the cataract was so dense they couldn't do a good measurement of my lens until they had removed the cataract during the surgery.
Dr's name please? I live south of Tucson. Thanks
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #20

Cataract surgery was nothing burger. Had both eyes done at different times. In and out under an hour and headed for lunch. Only discomfort when nurse missed iv x2. Readers from dollar store afterward
Jan and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote