RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Can anyone tell me the wiring differences between Lippert and Kwikee steps. Thanks
You can get schematics for the Freightliner chassis, but not for the Berk cabin. Many times the commercial equipment manuals can give some insight to the wiring. Such is the case for the steps. The Kwikee Step is made by Kwikee Products and here is the manual:

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf

The Coach Step is made by Stromberg Carlson and here is the manual:

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/sto...%20Lippert.pdf

Lippert sells them.
The Kwikee uses a normally open door switch (in absence of magnet) and the Coach Step use a normally closed door switch (in absence of magnet).

I do not believe that the controllers are interchangeable. The purple wire does not control the light.
Hank
Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #22

Nice mod Dan, they look great. Added to the list.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #23

Still no true answers controller plugs in all wiring same but switch will not shut off steps when parked also light comes on when steps retract not deploy
Dkplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #24

Why did you change the controller in the first place? What wasn't working right?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #25

Same problem thought new one would fix
Before had problem with steps warranty work then step switch did not work all wiring checks out but power switch will not shut steps off
And light is backwards comes on when steps up not down
Old 09-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #26

The one thing that will override the switch position is a 12 volt input from the engine ignition switch position. If the ignition switch is not in the off position the steps will retract no matter the step power switch position. I think it's the yellow wire that supplies this 12 volts from the ignition switch. Might check that there is not 12 volts on this wire continuously. Not sure about the step light though.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #27

Dkplace
To me it looks like you have a Kwikee controller with a Coach Step door switch or vice versa. I do not know how to tell the controllers apart; both would have LCI labels, but different part numbers. My controller for a Coach Step is Part Number 164889.

You can check your door switch without taking it apart, by measuring the DC voltage on the brown wire. Once you locate the brown wire (going into the controller), use a sharp small safety pin to pierce the insulation. Place your voltmeter between the brown wire (safety pin) and chassis ground with the voltmeter on DC (20 volt range). With the door open, if you have zero volts, you have a Coach Step setup. The Kwikee should give you zero volts with the door closed. I believe this will wok but frankly haven't done that myself. - Hank
Old 09-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Dkplace
To me it looks like you have a Kwikee controller with a Coach Step door switch or vice versa. I do not know how to tell the controllers apart; both would have LCI labels, but different part numbers. My controller for a Coach Step is Part Number 164889.

You can check your door switch without taking it apart, by measuring the DC voltage on the brown wire. Once you locate the brown wire (going into the controller), use a sharp small safety pin to pierce the insulation. Place your voltmeter between the brown wire (safety pin) and chassis ground with the voltmeter on DC (20 volt range). With the door open, if you have zero volts, you have a Coach Step setup. The Kwikee should give you zero volts with the door closed. I believe this will wok but frankly haven't done that myself. - Hank
Actually, if there was 12 volts on that wire when the door switch actuated the 12 volts would be shorted directly to ground. Pull the plug apart and check the brown wire pin on the chassis plug side with an ohm meter to ground. If there is no continuity with the door open it's a Kwikee step switch. If there is continuity with the door open it's a lippert (coach step) step switch. Close the door to make sure the switch is actuating by observing continuity to ground (Kwikee) or no continuity to ground (Lippert) as applicable. But it is my understanding that there was the issue with the steps before any part changing and with the original part reinstalled the issue is still there. Now, this not to say that the door switch has not failed. But a quick continuity check will eliminate that possibility. JMO
Old 09-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkplace View Post
Same problem thought new one would fix
Before had problem with steps warranty work then step switch did not work all wiring checks out but power switch will not shut steps off
And light is backwards comes on when steps up not down
Sounds like you're saying that your dealer wired it so the switch doesn't work at all?
Is this something you should take back to your dealer to fix?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Sounds like you're saying that your dealer wired it so the switch doesn't work at all?
Is this something you should take back to your dealer to fix?
The switch woks fine it has 12 volts going to controller when on no volts when off white wire
When off the steps retract when door open
Or on steps retract
For some reason the switc controls nothing
Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #31

It may have been asked, but I didn't catch your response. Have you switched from kwikee to Lipert steps?
Old 09-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #32

Quote:
The switch woks fine it has 12 volts going to controller when on no volts when off white wire
When off the steps retract when door open
Or on steps retract
For some reason the switc controls nothing
You are I take it talking about the wall switch. In post #21 I said.....
"The Kwikee uses a normally open door switch (in absence of magnet) and the Coach Step use a normally closed door switch (in absence of magnet)."

The switch that I am referencing is embedded in the door jamb and is activated by a magnet in the door. When I stated that the Coach Step (jamb switch) is normally closed in the absence of a magnet, that means the the door open. There should then be a ground on the brown wire. When the door is closed the Coach step jamb switch should open. The Kwikee jamb switch grounds the brown wire when closed.

As I said before, I believe that you have a Kwikee controller with a Coach Step jamb switch or you have a Coach Step Controller with a Kwikee jamb switch. With this miss-match the steps will work opposite to the way they should. Hank
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #33

Nope have lci controller same one that was on coach when bought
Door switch works fine
Power switch on wall does not turn steps off so I can leave steps down while at rv park
I am going to install power switch on red wire so I can turn controller of while at park
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
It may have been asked, but I didn't catch your response. Have you switched from kwikee to Lipert steps?
No
Lci controller same one I had on unit just changed out with new one thought that was door problem did not fix
Switch on wall controls nothing
I will install switch to red power wire and disconnect controller while at park
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #35

Dkplace
I just did a experiment with my Berk's steps. With Step switch on, it goes in and out with the opening and closing of the door. I went inside, closed the door and then put the door switch off. I opened the door and the step went out - just the opposite to how yours is working.

Conclusion, the Step On switch has nothing to do with your problem. It appears that the Step On switch when off will only leave the step out cccccontinuously, but not in.

Note that Lippert sells the Coach Step and Kwikee. I believe that the controller for both has the Lippert label on it. The controllers, however are internally different for the two step manufacturers.

I still believe that you have a miss-match between the controller and door jamb switch and is probably not your doing.

If you want to experiment, pull the door jamb switch out, If it can be disconnected from the wiring - do so. Then you can simulate the jamb switch by either jumpering it or leaving it open.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #36

Dkplace
You have the wrong idea that the step switch on the wall is a power switch. The step controller is designed so that regardless of the Step switch position and regardless of the ignition being on or motor running, when the door is opened the step goes out. They don't want people opening the door from the inside and stepping out into air; especially in the dark. Therefore, the door opens, the step goes out.

The sidewall Step On switch or the ignition on, supplies a 12 volt signal (not power) to the controller via the white wire. It tells the controller to always retract the step when the door is closed. Otherwise with the Step On switch being off, you can lock the step in the out position but not in the retract position. - Hankl
Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Dkplace
You have the wrong idea that the step switch on the wall is a power switch. The step controller is designed so that regardless of the Step switch position and regardless of the ignition being on or motor running, when the door is opened the step goes out. They don't want people opening the door from the inside and stepping out into air; especially in the dark. Therefore, the door opens, the step goes out.

The sidewall Step On switch or the ignition on, supplies a 12 volt signal (not power) to the controller via the white wire. It tells the controller to always retract the step when the door is closed. Otherwise with the Step On switch being off, you can lock the step in the out position but not in the retract position. - Hankl
What you say is correct and Dkplace, to me, sounds like he/she understands the switch function. The switch in his/her unit does not function as expected, ie. switch off door closed, steps retract (also the step light is on with steps retracted), not functioning properly and Dkplace appears to know this. Dkplace has indicated the door magnetic switch is functioning per Lippert type steps (continuity with door open) installed in the unit. The issue is the steps are not staying out with switch off and door closed. However; Dkplace has not said if the steps have ever functioned correctly or this is an issue from the get go.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #38

Only had the problem after work done on steps at dealer they did only repair on bad bolts in steps
The /signal white wire to steps should leave steps out when parked
Retract when started or switch turned on and door shut
Do not think the switch magnet is bad functions fine
Don't think the magnet would have any thing to do with white wire
Old 09-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #39

While driving home from camping weekend and thinking back to posts from others who claim they hear steps going in an out while driving down the road including me heck it might as well work then cause it doesn't work as it was designed to. A thought came to me since the light comes on or should when step is out what would it take to add a light inside the MH when the light is on or step is out. Should be easy to slice in to light circuit. That way if step goes out while moving light would come on wouldn't it.

Wayne
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #40

Quote:
I am having trouble with steps changed out controller new one
When I turn off steps so they won't work while parked steps cont to work switch ok also light comes on when steps go up not out
Dkplace - I and others have tried in vain to help you and to no resolution. You did say that the controller was changed. I can only SWAG (Silly Wild A## Guess) at this time. I'm still thinking that your controller is mismatched with your door jamb switch and maybe the dealer making this to work, interchanged the two motor wires.This seems like it might do what you are experiencing.

Please note that Lippert supplies a controller for both Coach Step and Kwikee. They both probably have the Lippert label on it. I just talked with Lippert and they no longer represent Coach Step. They will only be representing Kwikee. This leads to a question for all of us with Coach Step; where will we get parts?

I would verify the controller's part and model number with Lippert. Lippert is a funny company; they only represent other companies. Had great experience with the hydraulic dep't. (Randy), but not so with the step tech support. - Hank

Tags
light, modifications