Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
I have the Garmin RV760 LTM and it is awesome. Put in my statistics. Height, Weight , Width and it keeps me from going down the wrong roads. I have it synced to my Iphone and it also gives me traffic and weather updates.

Best GPS I've had!
In_RightLane; my GPS is a few years old and has traffic via a built-in radio receiver. I noticed that many new GPS have "Live Traffic" via your smart phone. Can you give an idea about how much data usage the GPS consumes when synced to your phone?

Last week, I was in the Washington DC area and found that Google Maps Traffic was very accurate as to where the jams started and stopped. Having this feature in the GPS with the GPS figuring routing around jams would be awesome.
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #22

We removed the factory unit and replaced it with a Kenwood DNX 890 HD. It has the Garmin maps, plays dvd's, and of course am/fm. I highly recommend this unit. It is a direct replacement and fits right in. The only negative is the camera set up is a little different. It doesn't bother me as I use my mirrors. Reverse camera still works like factory, but L/R must be selected from the unit menu. We tow and one nice feature is the split screen. I can watch my toad and have the GPS up at the same time.My wife has the Rand McNally and hasn't had the trouble mentioned in previous posts. Rarely do the two agree. Hope this helps. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #23

Marc what advantage is syncing to your I phone?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Marc what advantage is syncing to your I phone?
Phil; I am awaiting Marc's answers as well, because I am trying to learn about the new GPS'es that have "LIVE TRAFFIC".

From what I found so far, Live Traffic comes to your GPS via your smart phone's data link and then to the GPS (probably via Bluetooth). Garmin and TomTom offer GPS with "Live Traffic" capability. For the Garmin, it needs to have an App called SmartLink on the phone. Here is Garmin's description.............

Garmin Live Services available through the Garmin Smartphone Link provides the most up-to-date information to your Garmin navigator. Some services are included free when you connect to Smartphone Link. Other services are available through a one-time in app purchase that offers premium content and enhanced features

The App is free at...............

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garm...567725209?mt=8

I am not sure, but even with the App, Live Services might have to be additionally purchased. With this App installed an running is what is probably meant by syncing (IMHO).

My vintage GPS gives me traffic via a built-in FM radio receiver. If you are in an area without FM reception, you do not get it. Live Traffic is via cell towers, where there are many. I guess that is an advantage.

Besides how the GPS gets the traffic, just how is the traffic data acquired in the first place? I have found that Google Maps Traffic to be spot on. I figure that individual car motion is being monitored by tracking the position of your cell phone and your position movement. This I believe is how Google gets such fantastic accuracy. More then likely, Garmin and TomTom are getting their Live Traffic the same way; maybe not by themselves, but by through a service (Navteq?)

Hey Marc, I am still looking for more info if you have, because I am trying to decide in a GPS purchase.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #25

I have a GMC Acadia with a built in NAV system. I also have Sirius XM which offers live traffic. I found that the live traffic that they have is terrible. It has spotty coverage (only certain roads) and when you get the announcement that there is heavy traffic in an area, it is after you have already hit it. Don't know if others systems are better but, as I said, the one that I tried is terrible. JMHO!

ps- forgot to say that there was an extra charge from Sirius XM for this service.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #26

Also looking for more info on this subject from all of you!

Tags
upgrade