Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #1

Smile New 2014 Berkshire BH 400-60

Picked up the new MH yesterday and spent last night at the dealers after getting a late intro to driving course. The dealer came through with the factory invoice for the credit union but almost lost it when they didn't want to help register the vehicle in WA. Why my credit union would insist on a Texas dealer doing the title transfer is beyond me. Anyway I got everybody calmed down and the deal went through and my grandson (age 12) and I hopped on a plane to Texas.

This post is coming to you from N Pueblo Colorado. We did 700 miles today and I have the following random thoughts: Still not sure why my coach is designated a 2014 400 BH and others are listed as 2014 390 BH. Mine has the slightly updated interior and I've seen some dealers call them a 2015 model despite not having the new front and rear caps.

I fought the wind 90% of the time today. Didn't seem to matter which direction I was headed North or West I was still getting blown on to the rumble strips. Take a hand off the wheel to push a button or take a drink and there I was again. I did notice the steering wheel is slightly off center maybe 5-8 degrees to the left, I assume that's a Freightliner issue. I want it straight up and down.

Do you folks leave your inverter on all the time? On our boat the inverter had a huge charger that was dedicated to the house bank. The inverter should be able to too work with both shore power and the engine alternator. I literally have a tub full on manuals to get through,

Jeez, how many keys does one need. Oval key for the fuel fills, large and small keys for the cabin door, a key similar to the non deadbolt door key to open and lock the basement doors, small square headed keys to open the engine compartment, an ignition key, and some big round thing that opens the door where the generator handle is, I'm sure I've missed one or two.

The coach ran well. Keep the boost up and its a climbing fool. I like the engine brake but I, unsure whether you use it sparingly or leave it on. I was hard on the brakes coming down from Raton, NM to the extent I could smell the pads heating up. I assume that's something you want to avoid.

One shade doesn't want to fully retract but it looks adjustable. All the slides worked well but my grandson found some long screw devices in one of the cupboards. They are labeled slide locks but no one explained their use to me. I'm beginning to think that my orientation was inadequate. Sure, spend more time w/ the guys w/ the million dollar coaches but at least show me the windshield wiper control. I almost ripped the cruise control stalk off trying to turn the wipers on. And talk about counter intuitive at least to me. Anyway, I did figure it out. Now if I could get the gps to make up it's mind whether it wants to remain in daylight mode or nighttime I'll be a happy camper.

Despite the little complaints listed, over all ,after one day and slightly over 700 miles I'm still smiling.

Dan
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Congratulations on your Berkshire.

I leave the engine brake on all the time. Have driven the Raton Pass many times and never really used the brake, let the engine brake keep you speed down.

We leave the inverter off 99% of the time, if we need ac power we just turn the generator on.

We put on a safe-t steering device on to help with the steering on windy days, I'm sure others will chime in since there are several types.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Pay attention to that wheel being off center and that you are getting into the rumble strips on the right side.
Same with me when I picked it up in March. Took me a couple thousand miles to realize it was actually pulling slightly to the right.
I got a free alignment last week and it sure is nicer to drive now.

Congratulations
Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new Berkshire and many safe and happy miles>

The screw devices are meant as a safety lock for the slides when closed. They wedge between the slide flange and the MH wall. There has been a few issues where a slide would creep out while driving (primarily the hydraulic slides). When moving the slides in or out, make sure that all possible interfering cabinet doors that may interfere are closed, all articles away from the moving flanges and proper clearance outside. I ripped some doors off, so please take note.

The inverter uses cabin power when on; so leave off when not in use. It does not power all receptacles in the MH. This has been a big topic item on the forum.

Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Congrats! Sounds like a great shake down trip. You are not the first to come away from orientation feeling less than fully prepared. Use your engine break in the mountains. If the shade you are talking about it the sun shade(black one) in the front, mine is set the same. I just did a trip into some mountain areas and experienced some real winds. I just ordered a Tru Center system to help in the future. I used my slide locks for the first time on the same trip. It depends on what you are comfortable with. Just keep an eye on your slides when you stop. I always do a good walk around whenever I stop and check everything. There are a ton of keys. I organized mine on a carabiner and now only carry the ignition and entry keys. I leave the rest until I need them. Good travels for the rest of your trip and take full advantage of this forum. It is outstanding.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

For key "management" we color coded ours (color rings available at most hardware stores) and attached a piece of Velcro to the top of the entry step well (on the front just side below the switches).

That way they are always within reach from outside the coach.

Pink is fuel, green is storage, etc.

HTH

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Berkshire 390QS

Yep, bunch of keys. Only door key and ingition key on one ring, rest stored inside, also think of hiding set of door keys outside that you can get to just incase you get locked out, been there and done that with help from granddaughter.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #8

May want to note how easy it is to bump the door latch lock on the way out, there is a thread somewhere in this forum, so don't leave the coach without a way back in. Have fun and safe travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

And if you use slide locks, just be careful.

When wedged in where they are supposed to be, if you forget and start extending the slides, your main molding all around the sides are going to get ripped off.

I didn't even keep mine, but did have a large fire extinguisher roll to a bad spot under the edge of my bed. Put the bed slide out without noticing and ripped the entire little "night stand" right off the wall.

Those slide mechanisms are powerful!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, berkshire