Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #21

Most all of your questions have been answered, but a few may be incorrect. There are always changes, so my experience is limited to my coach, 2013 390BH-60.

1. Diesels have more torque at lower RPMs. Once you start driving them, you will have a hard time going back to a gasser. One word comes to mind: effortless.
2. Atwood on demand water heater. It uses propane, but only works when water is flowing. I had a Giraurd Gen 2, but it was replaced.
3. I agree. Just say 40ft
4. You can use auto level or you can adjust your level using the jacks. Your air suspension is set and only needs adjusting if you are leaning while in motion.
5. Agree. Heat pump down to 40, then furnace.
6. DP will be easier over long trips.
7. I do. Just in case. 2.5 gallon jug can be found just about anywhere if you don't want to. Even Home Depot has it.
8. Answered
9. Answered
10. We do. It empties into Gray Tank. Ours is very efficient, so not much water is used. With the slides in, you can't access it, so we start generator, turn on water pump, start washer/dryer and then close slide and go.
11. Answered
12. Yes. I added a IR headphone transmitter so you can use headphones from bunkbeds. In motion satellite is nice also. :-)
13. Not all our outlets work off inverter. We just run generator all the time.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #22

Where have you seen def fillers on both sides of the lane?
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Where have you seen def fillers on both sides of the lane?
Speaking of which...when we were at the Berk factory, they told us that L+R Diesel AND DEF Fillers were in the works!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #24

New 40bh xl with 380hp

Ohio Service Stops maybe and a few others but I can't remember. Sometimes we drive through backwards if it's easy.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #25

New 40bh xl with 380hp

Bob, we already have fuel fillers on both sides. DEF, not so much. What makes it worse is the door swings up. It should be side opening. I use a battery pump to fill my DEF when I'm not comfortable. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452627289.862467.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	97680

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #26

I customarily drive through backwards an get dirty looks from the truckers. Screw 'em

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozz View Post
Hi All,

So we finally pulled the trigger and traded up from our gas GT 350ts xl to new Berk. The coach is in paint now and we should have it by the end of next month. We have only owned an Rv for 7 months and 7k miles. During this short time I have watched 100+ hours of YouTube Rv learning videos. I do have some questions about our new unit.

1. What will be the power difference between our old ford v10 compared to the 380hp? I have never driven a dp except the test drive.

The difference will be huge, no comparison. More hp & torn than you need.

2. We had a lot of issues with our old water heater and calcium build up which would clog up the sinks. Will we have the same issue? I have 3 little kids and I'm concerned about the water heater doing its job. I have read some bad reviews on the tankless water heaters.

Use a good filter and you should have no problems.

Does the water heater heat by propane or electric?
Propane

3. Being 41 feet long, how strict our Rv parks with 40 max rules?
The park itself may be tight, but the way the Berk jacks are set up you can overhang the rear by 10+ feet. Depending on the actual site.

4. Is there any way to manually adjust the air ride suspension? When we get to camp can I adjust the height of the unit?
I do not believe there is an adjustment for ride height. Your height while on jacks at a site will depend on how level the site is. Carry some board cut to fit under the tires, get some pads that fit under the jacks, these will help with site that are not level.

5. What's the best way to heat the unit during cold nights? Please keep in mind we do have a space heater.
Heat pump, unless it's below 40F, then use the furnace.

6. Very comfortable driving our gas unit, what should I know about the dp now?
Go to YouTube, there's tons of videos on DP driving.

7. Do I need to carry extra def fluid with me?
I don't, if I know I'm going on a long trip I will top off the tank before we leave. This day and age you can always find DEF along your route.

8. Any tips on running or exercises get the motor and generator?
I run my genset once a month on a load, either AC or HearPump on. It's better to run it than not run it on trips while driving.

9. How well does the ac work? On our old unit the only way to cool down the living area was to open the ac vent and that never worked that well on really hot days. We had a 15k unit too.
Depends on the outside temps, I've camped in 100F and it struggled to keep the Moho comfortable.

10. Can we use the washer and dryer while driving? Are they both electric? On average how many gallons of fresh tank and great tank with the washer use!
You will need to run the genset to use them while driving. They are both electric. Not sure on the last part.

11. Can the cameras be used as security cams at night?
The ignition key would have to be on but I don't see why not. Especially if you just turn on the ignition once in a while to check around the outside. One of our members "silver" installed a nice security system on his.

12. Can the front tv be used in motion (not for driver, but for kids)?
Yes, with a little work.

13. Are all the outlet working on inverter when the generator is off? No.

Thanks for any input

Oz

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Read inside the quote for my answers.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
As to the length - the outside markings show as though it's a 40 footer. Nobody ever checks them anyway.

Cannot compare the gasser to the diesel pusher. When they say don't compare apple to pears, it's true. I went from a 340hp [ISB] diesel to the 380hp diesel and that has made a big difference. Still on the road, but just drove from Arkansas to California. Many hills & mountains, kept it on cruise control & it held its speed. Some mountains were high climbing grades, but it was SWEET driving with the 380hp. BTW, 7.8 - 8.2 mpg so far. Avg speed 70-75 mph towing a Jeep Wrangler [all 4 wheels down].

Continual hot water heater is just as advertised. A little getting use to, as you HAVE TO START WITH THE FAUCET turned all the way TO HOT, then when it starts coming out hot, you change the mixture [hot/cold] on the faucet. Once the hot water has started coming out, you need to keep the flow going. If you start & stop the hot water flow, when you turn it back on, you'll get COLD!!!!!! The only problem that I have is with the water pump. It will not pump enough water to flow through the system. On my list to upgrade it to a higher pressure pump.

As mentioned, the front axle is BEHIND YOUR SEAT!!!!!!!! Nice for turns, but you'll have to get use to it. Also, as you had mentioned, WATCH THE COACH's REAR PUSH OUT. . . . The coach is LOOOOOOONG.

My Front Heat Pump kicks into FURNACE mode automatically, when the outside temps gets too cold for the PUMP. Cannot comment on the ACs, as I haven't been able to test them out in real hot temps yet.

Finally, I use to get sore muscles when I drove my 2009 Cross Country. With the Berk, I have driven it over 5,000 miles already with NO SORE MUSCLES!!!!!!! It's a nice & comfortable drive. I actually enjoy driving it.

YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Are you saying that Berk's have to depend on a Low flow water pump to supply your system? Why not a Pressure Bladder system for constant water pressure? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #29

The ignition key would have to be on but I don't see why not. Especially if you just turn on the ignition once in a while to check around the outside. One of our members "silver" installed a nice security system on his.

X2 - here is the site: Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

The problem is, the SimpliSafe system will NOT do video monitoring--even thought they have promised cameras for over 2 years now

Some users are mounting Foscam dash cams (buy on Amazon.com) in their windows and using ISpy software to control/capture video (https://www.ispyconnect.com/)

Hope this helps
Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

X2 - here is the site: Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

The problem is, the SimpliSafe system will NOT do video monitoring--even thought they have promised cameras for over 2 years now

Some users are mounting Foscam dash cams (buy on Amazon.com) in their windows and using ISpy software to control/capture video (https://www.ispyconnect.com/)

Hope this helps

No need to turn the key on, there is a switch on the dash to swap the radio from chassis batteries to coach batteries. Once you hit the switch, it turns the power on and you can toggle between your cameras and or listen to the radio.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
No need to turn the key on, there is a switch on the dash to swap the radio from chassis batteries to coach batteries. Once you hit the switch, it turns the power on and you can toggle between your cameras and or listen to the radio.

Jason

Seriously? Where is this button located?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452736787.993397.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	97795

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #33

Yup, that's the switch....

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #34

New 40bh xl with 380hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Read inside the quote for my answers.

Thanks again everyone who is responding to my long list of questions. Do I need a water filter even though the Berk has a house filter already?

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #35

Water pressure regulator, Pre filter and water softener before going into the house water system. That's how I have my system set up.

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Water pressure regulator, Pre filter and water softener before going into the house water system. That's how I have my system set up.

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
Ditto
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
Paul - any chance you could show us a photo or at least tell us which models of the pre-filter and water softener you have?

As for the water pressure regulator, we use an adjustable one from Valtara.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Paul - any chance you could show us a photo or at least tell us which models of the pre-filter and water softener you have?

As for the water pressure regulator, we use an adjustable one from Valtara.

Bob, I use a simple inline pre-filter I buy from Amazon Prime. I have the on the go water softener. I got the small version only because I don't have the patience to go through a 30 minute regen. I'll take a picture and post it when I get back to Ocala. We're at the Tampa show now and head back tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #39

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452802390.411539.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	97824
I buy the four pack.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #40

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452802592.529708.jpg