Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #1

New and Owner Experiences

Hello,
I am new to the forum and having been looking at Berkshire motor homes. I am curious about your experiences with the motorhome including such things as
1. Reliability
2. Quality
3. Recalls
4. Service (Type of service and where you have it done.)
5. What Berkshire has have done well and what needs attention.
6. Would you buy one again.
Thanks
Ken Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Hello Ken, welcome to the forum. I am a fairly new owner of a 2013 390 BH. I have been having it for about six months. We've camped about 20 nights so far. So she is still fairly new. I can tell you that the problems we've had has been fixed free of charge and covered under the original warranty.

We have taken one extend trip for 8 days and everything went well up until the day we left. The motor shaft on the bunk house slide broke. That is the most serious problem we have had to date. And this is being fixed now at our dealer for free.

I would imagine that the Berks biggest competitor is the Allegro Red. I did a lot of research and shopped both units and I can tell you that the Berk surpasses the Red by far. The fit and finish is better, the quality of the products used inside both units are better in the Berk.

As far as service, I would believe that would depend on the dealership you buy from, although some guys here have had work done at the factory.

The biggest improvement I think the Berk needs is with carrying capacities on the 40's. But I believe the '60's are good to go.

At this price point I truly believe Berkshire is the best bang for the buck. There are better coaches out there but you will pay way more money for them.

Good luck. I also believe shopping for one is more fun than actually owning one. But then again salesmen hate me. lol
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Campin Cajun

Thanks for you response. I having been reading through some of the posts and there seems to be general agreement that it is a good bang for the buck.

It is a little scary thinking of moving from a fifth wheel to a motorhome so the more information that I get helps to make the decision easier.
Ken Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4

One down side I have seen posted here is that when going from a fifth wheel to a motor home is the lack of storage with the motor home.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

Ken, I moved from a fiver to a MH and I actually have storage to spare. I don't regret the move one bit. I bought a large FR fifth wheel, kept it for 6 months and traded it in on my coach. I much rather drive the coach than pull that fiver. I can back it into a spot without help from my DW and I think we all know what I mean lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

I am also new to this and did a bunch of research before I purchased my 2011 Berkshire bh this year. It was the best bang for the buck I could find and we have gone on several trips. Since new to this my trips are usually within 6 hours of home. Hope to see mountains in Ruidosa around New Year's Eve but really like this forum as it has helped me tremendously! Best of luck on your searches but think you are on right track! No perfect unit but this one very close for $$$!
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Berkshire 390QS

We have had ours since 2010 and it's been good, have traveled for 30,000 miles, been to Alaska, down to Key West and inbetween so far. Engine and chassis can not be beat, haven't had a problem with them. The coach has need work, mostly minor except it needed the roof replaced. As to service, think our dealer is the pits, took forever to get anything done and would lie to us about it. We don't go to him anymore for anything. Find a good dealer, talk to past and current customers at the dealership your buying from. As to FR itself, and the folks in the motorhome division they will bend over backwards to help you, but they can't control the dealer.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

I'm in the same boat as you, researching hot and heavy, and it's been nice to find this forum. From what I can see, the Berkshire seems like a good unit to me in the price range. I also have a buddy that owns a 2008 FR something or another, nice MH, and he loves her!! He was the one who turned me onto FR, and the idea of working on the road from a MH.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote