Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #1

New Slide Problem

Cautionary tale for an issue not seen before:
I was called to assist another Berkshire owner who was staying a few sites down from us. His refrigerator water line broke and flooded the coach. After removing the fridge and repairing the water line, the dinette slide would not retract. Inspection showed the slide was hitting the tiles rather than clearing over them. Best guess was the dinette slide floor had swollen from the soaking. After letting it dry for a day still no joy. Owner was overdue at family function and needed to get on the road so a technician was called. The slide piston was disconnected, the center of the floor was jacked up slightly, and the slide pushed in manually until it cleared. The piston was then reconnected and retracted the slide normally. Seemingly simple solution to a very vexing problem. Hopefully no one will ever need this info!
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Good fix. Gonna take a lot more than a day to dry out if a lot of water got in there. And, it may never come back as flat and thin as before.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
BobbyJ

What was the reason for the water line breaking? Was it frozen and then later broke? I froze my solenoid valve used to pump water to the ice maker and flooded my coach. Was it the line that broke or the solenoid cracking as in my case? Thanks,

BobbyJ
State College, PA 2018 Berk XL 40C
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

The ice maker waterline leaked on my Berk 34qs when I bought it new. Flooded the slide out. Decided I did not need ice maker.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

The coach owner said the water supply line broke at a fitting behind the fridge. No idea why.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #6

Mine leaked because FR used the wrong kind of compression fitting to join two sections of vinyl water line.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #7

it would be great (but will never happen) if they used plywood, or some product that handled water better.

Tags
slide