Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer2 View Post
I've been lurking around this site for over a year learning about Forest River products. Even took a trip to the factory for the Cedar Creek Champagne 5th wheel. We are now seriously considering the Berkshire 34QS. Really like the idea of the cockpit bed coming in the 2019 model. Did the dealer mention how much that will add to the cost of the new 2019 model?

Also, like the idea of picking up from the factory, since I live in Michigan and the factory is fairly close. How does that work?

I think I remember seeing $3200 on the XLT option list. Also been told that this can now be added later doesn’t have to be installed when the coach is being built.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #22

I don’t think FR provides for ‘customer direct sales’ or ‘pickup’ options... they only deal thru Dealers

Newmar is the only one I know of that does, but they also ‘customize’ to dealer order(for a customer), but others do not. Tiffin(?), maybe.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Each to there own. The best coach is the one that meets your needs. The Berk is very nice top of class coach. There are issues, expect them, deal with with dealer or FR direct and move ahead and enjoy your RV or Camping life.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer22 View Post
As you guys already know .... The 2018 Berkshire has a 34QS that appears to be re-designed for 2018 and looks really nice.

Has 4 slides and has the 360 motor with the allison 3000 trans. King size bed, couch is a 3 person wide, appears to have the Multi-plex wiring, gorgeous front seats, etc etc.

Anyone have any experience with the newly redesigned 2018 Berkshire 34? Not a whole lot of info online or reviews anywhere. Not really any informative youTube videos either.

Id like to know everything you can provide!

When the slides are in, is there a clear path to the back, while still being able to open fridge door and bathroom door?

I came from a Fleetwood Pace arrow 33D. Nice coach, and has good floor plan. Plenty of outside cargo storage bays available. Hopefully the 34QS has available cargo space and isnt a cheaply made coach.

For example .... the new Thor Aria is redesigned and comes with the 360HP cummins and allison 3000 but its a real piece of crap in my opinion. I saw one in person and was VERY disappointed. But by contrast, the new redesigned Tiffin 33AA RED is very nice quality and I liked it a lot. BUUUTT out of all of the outside cargo bays, there's only ONE that is availbale for your stuff. All the others have Tiffin systems or freightliner stuff in them. Very disappointing

So on to the Berkshire. Gimme all you got! And also, what deals can be had on these? There are a couple dealers LISTING them for $185k-$189k. So im hoping I can snag one for $170k-$175k. So we'll see.

thanks everyone. hope to be a new owner and oart of the club soon!

If you are ready to purchase your new motorhome you might want to order it and get a 2019 model since the model year changes in April or if you are lucky enough to find a dealer who has a new 2019 in stock. Model year on your title determines value in the future when you are ready to trade or sell.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Each to there own. The best coach is the one that meets your needs. The Berk is very nice top of class coach. There are issues, expect them, deal with with dealer or FR direct and move ahead and enjoy your RV or Camping life.
well said
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Dragonship Captain

I'm interested to see how the drop down bed works with the door.....DUCK?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
I'm interested to see how the drop down bed works with the door.....DUCK?
me too. I have see them work very nice with a mid ship door- but not with a door in the front. I just saw an advertisement for a Newell 45' rv with a mid ship door- maybe that will be a new trend.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
me too. I have see them work very nice with a mid ship door- but not with a door in the front. I just saw an advertisement for a Newell 45' rv with a mid ship door- maybe that will be a new trend.

Newell has done a midship door for a long time. Even better is how it opens. It slides over instead of swinging out.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #29
Dragonship Captain

Almost would have to be a midship door. Used to prefer those until I realized you lose space with it, as you still need the empty space in front of the copilot seat....
Old 07-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #30

What is a good price for a 2018 34QS, I've rec'd quotes of $199,000 and $189,000? The 199,000 was here in Michigan where I live and the other 189,000 was from a dealer in Texas. I haven't tried any serious negotiation with either dealer yet. Just curious where the sweet spot on pricing is. Thanks for any help you can provide on pricing.
The Wanderer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #31

Between 184 and 189. The 199 price has room. And you should be able to deal with your local dealer to get the the 189 price easily
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #32

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would rather deal locally than a thousand miles away.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would rather deal locally than a thousand miles away.
The only loyalty a dealer has is to their customers; buy out of town and ask for local services and you're just another warranty claim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forest River Forums mobile app
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Between 184 and 189. The 199 price has room. And you should be able to deal with your local dealer to get the the 189 price easily
Are you happy with your 34QS, and have you experienced any major problems?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #35

Quote:
What is a good price for a 2018 34QS, I've rec'd quotes of $199,000 and $189,000? The 199,000 was here in Michigan where I live and the other 189,000 was from a dealer in Texas. I haven't tried any serious negotiation with either dealer yet. Just curious where the sweet spot on pricing is. Thanks for any help you can provide on pricing.

I had read (don’t remember where) that the minimum you should start with is 25% off MSRP with a goal of 30% for a current model year. And then at least 35% off MSRP for a leftover. Remember these are just guidelines. With so much inventory online you should be able to get a good idea of what dealers are asking and make a decision on what you are willing to pay. You have to be comfortable with this number is all that matters.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #36

I'm looking for any information good or bad relative to this unit. I haven't been able to find much information on the 34QS.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #37

Wanderer. We have had ours since October and it had 78 miles on it when we bought it. It has 7000 miles on it now. Love the way it drives. Had a few issues but the second half of the year models don’t have the same kitchen slide as we do. Love the layout. Will probably keep this one for 4-5 years and then go bigger for our last RV. Are you dealing with MH2GO? They are a good dealer and will take good care of you. PM me if you want to talk about more and I’ll send you my number
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #38

Yes the dealership in Michigan is MH2GO in Grand Rapids. Like I said, I haven't started any serious negotiation with them yet. Got a starting price through the internet web site. Trying to educate myself before approaching the dealership for a serious price. I am currently in the process of getting a boat ready to sale that is taking up my time. The plan is to sale the Cruiser Yacht and buy the motorhome. I'm afraid if I start serious talks with the dealership, I'll have a new motorhome and a boat too. When I get more time, I would like to talk with you more, since this would be our first venture into the motorhome world. Been a boater my whole life, which is a lot like owning an RV. Very time and money consuming pleasure.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #39

We bought our 2018 34 QS in January and have been very happy with it. We are longtime former boaters as well and sold our trawler for a land cruiser. We have owned 3 fifth wheels before the Berk. The only items we added to our new Berk were a SafeTPlus for safer and tighter steering control and heavier Koni shocks for better ride. We love the layout and the upgrades of the 2018.
FlaFSUmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #40

Thanks for the information. Did you do the steering and shock upgrades before taking delivery or after? I'll need to research the improvements you listed. My brother just retired and he wants to start traveling together in between our stays in Michigan and Florida. I've researched the 5th wheel option and even took a tour of the factory for the Champagne. We have traveled with my brother in his 5th wheel, and thought that was the way we were going to go. I'm now convinced that a motorhome will fit our life style better.

Do you think a purchase price of $184,000 to $189,000, is realistic and what if any items should I try to get as part of the deal? Also, please feel free to provide any insight you may have from you experience.