Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

NEW to FR - Very close to pulling trigger on 34QS

As you guys already know .... The 2018 Berkshire has a 34QS that appears to be re-designed for 2018 and looks really nice.

Has 4 slides and has the 360 motor with the allison 3000 trans. King size bed, couch is a 3 person wide, appears to have the Multi-plex wiring, gorgeous front seats, etc etc.

Anyone have any experience with the newly redesigned 2018 Berkshire 34? Not a whole lot of info online or reviews anywhere. Not really any informative youTube videos either.

Id like to know everything you can provide!

When the slides are in, is there a clear path to the back, while still being able to open fridge door and bathroom door?

I came from a Fleetwood Pace arrow 33D. Nice coach, and has good floor plan. Plenty of outside cargo storage bays available. Hopefully the 34QS has available cargo space and isnt a cheaply made coach.

For example .... the new Thor Aria is redesigned and comes with the 360HP cummins and allison 3000 but its a real piece of crap in my opinion. I saw one in person and was VERY disappointed. But by contrast, the new redesigned Tiffin 33AA RED is very nice quality and I liked it a lot. BUUUTT out of all of the outside cargo bays, there's only ONE that is availbale for your stuff. All the others have Tiffin systems or freightliner stuff in them. Very disappointing

So on to the Berkshire. Gimme all you got! And also, what deals can be had on these? There are a couple dealers LISTING them for $185k-$189k. So im hoping I can snag one for $170k-$175k. So we'll see.

thanks everyone. hope to be a new owner and oart of the club soon!
repsolracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #2

We are in Alaska and have had really poor Internet connections -- I just saw this post, and here is my advice:

Given All the problems we have had with our 2017 Berkshire XLT (which is the top of the line Forest River Motorhome), the non-responsiveness of the Diesel Division to our issues, and the poor build quality (and quality control), I would recommend you look elsewhere - Tiffin or Entegra coaches
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Wow, I don't believe what I read, coming from BamaBob. I remember when he first got the coach and hosted a FR rally in Gasden, AL. He thought the sun rose and set on Forest River. Humm, must be trouble in paradise.

As far as the 34QS goes we really like our's. Its the right size, has every thing we need and the service from FR and Gerzeny's RV World in Nokomis, FL regarding the Truma water heater was excellent.

The later 2018 34QS was updated with the 360hp engine; 8,000 kw generator, 2,000 watt inverter and Allison 3000 transmission. The earlier 2018 models had 340hp, 6,000 kw generator, Allison 2500 and I think the inverter was 1,500 watts. We are enjoying our coach and I'm a happy camper, sorry Bob is not.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Wow, I don't believe what I read, coming from BamaBob. I remember when he first got the coach and hosted a FR rally in Gasden, AL. He thought the sun rose and set on Forest River. Humm, must be trouble in paradise.

As far as the 34QS goes we really like our's. Its the right size, has every thing we need and the service from FR and Gerzeny's RV World in Nokomis, FL regarding the Truma water heater was excellent.

The later 2018 34QS was updated with the 360hp engine; 8,000 kw generator, 2,000 watt inverter and Allison 3000 transmission. The earlier 2018 models had 340hp, 6,000 kw generator, Allison 2500 and I think the inverter was 1,500 watts. We are enjoying our coach and I'm a happy camper, sorry Bob is not.

We don’t have the Berkshire you are looking at. We have an 11 390 RB and we are thrilled with it. Trust your instinct. Most love their Berks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	175974  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #5

Have a 2017 40 BH and love it. 10,009 miles and everything like new not even a loose screw. Bamabob must be having a bad day.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

If I ever give up a 5er for a my it will be another Tiffin.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

Really like our 2018 38A which is the same engine, transmission and Freightliner chassis manufacturer as on the 34QS. Ours is a 2818 & 1/2 which has a few more added niceties than the earlier 2018 model. We came from a 2015 Georgetown gasser. Ride, steering, power and noise level are some of the main reasons we traded for the Berk. It’s quite a step up in class. Sure, we’ve had some glitches but nothing that some moderate DIY skills can’t handle. Let us know if you find a MH at any price that doesn’t have glitches. Remember, in order to have fun, your MH has to be your hobby. Like a good DW, be nice to her and she’ll be nice to you!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #8

We have had 2 Berkshires now. Loved both of them, as always motorhomes have inherent problems no matter what brand or how much you pay. We have friends with million $ coaches and have had their share of problems. As for the Diesel Division all I can say is how WONDERFUL they have been to us. They have addressed every issue we have had on both our 2012 390BH and our 2018 XLT 43 B.
If I wasn’t a satisfied and happy customer I would not have bought my second Berkshire.
I know of no other company that had such great customer service
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #9

just a word of 'wisdom', as I've transported many brands of 'brand new' coaches to dealers across the country - seemingly EVERY ONE of them had some issue from the moment I stepped into the coach, or somewhere along the way!

The first transport I ever had was a FLEETWOOD - camera/video would not even power up. No way I was going to drive it a thousand miles without being able to see my personal car being towed behind it.

So, I picked up a NEWMAR instead. 50 miles 'up the road' it's camera/video system died. No power. No help from Newmar... I had to continue, reluctantly, the next 600 miles without it.

I picked up another 45' tag axle coach, or at least I tried. Nothing worked. No 12v systems. Nothing when turning the ignition key on. Nothing, no cranking. A BRAND NEW 1/2 million dollar motorcoach, and nothing will work. Believe it.

I can't help you with most of the 'other' items, such as water, electricity, and 'sewer', as we drivers aren't 'supposed' to use any systems during the delivery, even if it takes 3 or 4 days to get there. Think about that one.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I will admit, though, some of the best 'driving' coaches I've delivered are here:
- Fleetwood DISCOVERY LXE 44H tag axle 45', nice!
- Forest River BERKSHIRE XL 40BH, loaded! nice!
- Fleetwood PACE ARROW w isb6.7 Cummins 35'... easiest to drive and best fuel mileage at around 12mpg of ANY diesel coach on the market.
- my own Palazzo, like the Pace Arrow above...smooth, comfortable, and easy of the fueling pocket book at 12mpg average over 83,000miles!

- I'll also give knod to the 'gas' FR Coachmen Mirada SELECT... very nicely appointed, and a nice ride indeed. The Newmar Canyon Star fell a little short, though(just sayin'!)... in my humble opinion.

some others I wouldn't mention, no matter the 'name brand'.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

I don't know that anyone addressed your question concerning moving around the coach with the slides in. If so, I missed it. I have not looked at the new 34 models, however I did look very closely at a 2016 model and did test drive it. It was very difficult to move down the aisle with the slides in. The dealer told me that I could take the cushions out and have them cut down to make it easier.(???) I did test drive it during a high wind day within an hour of driving our Sunseeker and I was not impressed with the 34's stability in the wind. Some of the problems could have been due to tire pressures or any number of other factors. I could not, at that time, seriously consider buying the 34 even though I really wanted a DP. For the difference in price, I thought the 38A offered more.

That being said, the upgraded engine, chassis, etc. means the new 34 is an entirely different coach, and there are many happy owners of that model out there.

There is nothing like going to a dealership and actually examining the real thing. If it fits you and your needs, I think you would happy with the Berk 34.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Flyboy1950

Run as fast as you can from any Forest River product! Poor warranty service & poor factory follow up on any problems, Fourth New RV I've owned, worst quality of them all. Just my opinion.
Steve B
Lodi, CA
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

Answering your questions, on our 2018 Berkshire 34QS you are easily able to walk all the way back to the bedroom door down the center aisle and the refrigerator opens easily if needed while traveling as well as access to the bathroom. You shouldn’t have any problems and we have not had any issues with our new coach and love it. This is our 3 rd FR product
FlaFSUmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
We are in Alaska and have had really poor Internet connections -- I just saw this post, and here is my advice:

Given All the problems we have had with our 2017 Berkshire XLT (which is the top of the line Forest River Motorhome), the non-responsiveness of the Diesel Division to our issues, and the poor build quality (and quality control), I would recommend you look elsewhere - Tiffin or Entegra coaches
Hey Bob, sorry to hear that about your coach. When I saw you last in Georiga you loved it, what happened? Also I have been waiting for some post on the Alaska Trip, how that's going with everyone and any pictures you can share? I'm sure we will meet up somewhere soon, take care and hello to all with you...glenn/WD

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

Take the absolute statements with a large grain of salt. There has to be a reason forest river is as large as it is and growing so fast. They’re not absolutely the best nor the worse. I’m not saying someone can’t have issues at all with their (any brand) but to zap an entire brand doesn’t seem to help much. We Have a FR product, love it, was smart enough to roll with the very few issues (which FR took care of with no trouble at all), and enjoying it. It’s kindof like walking down the street and asking strangers who you should marry: it comes down to your decision.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

Wow Bob thats a 180 degree turn about the Birk from when we talked to you at Bamaganza and the Peach rally. Lots must have transpired since then.
I like the rest would like to hear of your travels to Alaska. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #16

We looked at the 2018 38A and 34QS. Both are right around the same price. The 34QS was the right fit for us all around and for what we do with it. We bought a first half of the year model. 340 HP and TV over the fireplace. We didn’t like the small windows next to the TV over the dining table. I’m 6’4” and can walk from
Front to back with the slides in. You can climb into bed with the slides in. The 2018 and a half have moved away from the schwintek slide on the kitchen. We had some problems with ours but FR replaces the entire slide
Mechanism. I won’t even address the little things you fix yourself. Anyone that has owned an RV before knows that. We love ours. Bought it in October and have almost 10K miles on it. It had 78 miles when we bought it in Indiana. Best of luck to you in your shopping!
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
Dragonship Captain

I for the life of me don't understand why people who don't own one come on a Berkshire forum to tell us how our coaches suck or how to operate them. Oh well. Owners that bought one and are unhappy is something different.

That said, I can tell you that there are a LOT of "mostly satisfied" Berk owners out there. We had almost 30 of them in one campground in May.

Do we have our criticisms? You bet. The whole industry stinks and Forest River is no different. Are we enjoying our coaches? You bet. We've learned to help each other out with information and experience and for the most part we are managing pretty well. This forum is one of the tools in that process.

So, to the OP, yes you can walk back and use your galley, sit on the couch and use the dinette, get to the bathroom and climb in bed when you want to with the slides retracted.

The new 34QS is a stout and capable bus and I think it's decent value.

What I will suggest is that if you are not a tool/DIY person with pretty good skills and thus dependent on a dealer for repairs that you pick your dealer VERY carefully. Your best purchase price may not be your best deal here. And, to go with that, at such a good dealer they will take the time to thoroughly inspect your coach, show you how it works and fix anything that's not perfect before they send you off in it.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
I for the life of me don't understand why people who don't own one come on a Berkshire forum to tell us how our coaches suck or how to operate them. Oh well. Owners that bought one and are unhappy is something different.

That said, I can tell you that there are a LOT of "mostly satisfied" Berk owners out there. We had almost 30 of them in one campground in May.

Do we have our criticisms? You bet. The whole industry stinks and Forest River is no different. Are we enjoying our coaches? You bet. We've learned to help each other out with information and experience and for the most part we are managing pretty well. This forum is one of the tools in that process.

So, to the OP, yes you can walk back and use your galley, sit on the couch and use the dinette, get to the bathroom and climb in bed when you want to with the slides retracted.

The new 34QS is a stout and capable bus and I think it's decent value.

What I will suggest is that if you are not a tool/DIY person with pretty good skills and thus dependent on a dealer for repairs that you pick your dealer VERY carefully. Your best purchase price may not be your best deal here. And, to go with that, at such a good dealer they will take the time to thoroughly inspect your coach, show you how it works and fix anything that's not perfect before they send you off in it.
I agree 100% and would add- If buying new and time permits, You could pick that great local dealer- but still do a factory delivery. Take delivery early in the week- stay in coach and drive it every day- Then on say Thursday go back to factory for any repairs/adjustments that are needed. Several people on this site have done that.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #19

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys. I really appreciate it. Like some of you have mentioned, there needs to be tools & resources out there like this site for everyone to use and benefit from. This site is great

I was able to see a 2018 34QS in person at a dealer in TX this weekend as we were visiting family close by. My wife and I got to play with everything inside, operate slides, and drive it. I'm really impressed and really like this new redesigned version. Drove very nice and felt great. The sales guy said the 2019 versions are just about to hit dealers and they have a front ceiling drop down bed option, which is interesting.

Woohoo! Hope to be a FR owner soon. This coach seems like it will for the bill perfectly
repsolracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #20

I've been lurking around this site for over a year learning about Forest River products. Even took a trip to the factory for the Cedar Creek Champagne 5th wheel. We are now seriously considering the Berkshire 34QS. Really like the idea of the cockpit bed coming in the 2019 model. Did the dealer mention how much that will add to the cost of the new 2019 model?

Also, like the idea of picking up from the factory, since I live in Michigan and the factory is fairly close. How does that work?
The Wanderer2 is offline   Reply With Quote