Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #1

Smile New to RVing

We bought a Forest River Berkshire 2013 RV in September. We have taking a couple trips. I am trying to figure out when you chang the oil in a diesel RV for the first time. I contacted Freightliner, Forest River and the dealer and every one tells me a different time. I also checked out the many booklets provided and can't seemed to find the answer. Please help me out. Thanks,Kerry
Rvtravel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #2

I change it every 4000 miles no matter what. Some may tell you different, but I would go no more than 5000 without change.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygo3251 View Post
I change it every 4000 miles no matter what. Some may tell you different, but I would go no more than 5000 without change.
It IS listed in your Freightliner and/or Cummins book. I change mine once a year regardless of mileage, although I would rarely be over 5000 miles per year.

I believe they list the INITIAL change at 6 months or 6000 miles. And (according to Cummins) you must NOT extend the time/mileage by using synthetic oil, as in a gas engine.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Cummins recommend the oil to be changed at 15,000 mile intervals or once a year regardless of using synthetic or not (once past the break in period). Like the others I'll never put that kind of mileage on in a summer so once a year will be fine. I am a true believer in synthetic but in the cost vs change interval vs mileage I go with non synthetic Shell Rotella 15w40.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

If you are storing the unit for most of the year (like many of us) ... make sure to change the oil before putting the unit in storage. Dirty oil contains acids that are very hard on you engine.

Don't forget to about your genset ... it also requires annual servicing.

I make it a point of taking my unit into the local Cummin dealer each fall. They may be slightly more expensive that other Diesel shops but at the same time, they do good and complete work.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote