Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

New York vacation sites & campgrounds

We are heading to Niagara Falls and then over to NYC for summer vacation. Any suggestions where to camp and what to see in-between?
Thanks,
Matt
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Depends on when you're passing through
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

There are so many things here in Upstate NY. Letchworth Park south of Rochester is special with spectacular gorges. Also be sure to catch Watkins Glen at the south end of Seneca Lake. Enjoy the wine trail around Seneca Lake. In Watkins Glen you can camp at the KOA there. Nice park. If you like steam railroads then check out the Arcade & Attica. That can be a fun diversion. Jellystone near there is nice, but reservations are almost always required. While at Niagara you might want to check out Ft. Niagara. Pretty neat old fort dating back to the French and Indian wars in the mid to late 1700's. In Trumansburg there is Taugahaunic Park (spelling?) which is another nice park with a spectacular water falls. Dine at Hazelnut Kitchen if you have time. If you are in to architecture then check out the architectural tours in Buffalo. Also the Albright Knox Art Gallery is one of the top galleries in the US. These are just a few ideas from someone who lives here.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

This is great information - thank you! My kids were buried in the Atlas last night...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #5

We'll be up there during the middle of July.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390bh

If you need something specific feel free to pm me with your request and I'll answer whatever I can for you. I need the break from the pile of tax returns on my desk. If you are coming to the Falls make sure you bring your passports for you and the kids. If you don't have them you can't go into Canada.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Not sure how close you'll be to this park but we stayed at Lake George RV Park a few years ago. Very nice and Lake George area is beautiful to see and enjoy.

Lake George RV Park: Lake George Camping & RV Resort Is Premiere Among Adirondack Resorts

Can't wait to go back.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Not sure how close you'll be to this park but we stayed at Lake George RV Park a few years ago. Very nice and Lake George area is beautiful to see and enjoy.

Lake George RV Park: Lake George Camping & RV Resort Is Premiere Among Adirondack Resorts

Can't wait to go back.
We've stayed there several times and it is a great park. It's five star rating is deserved!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

If you’re around here in July they do the renaissance festival http://www.sterlingfestival.com every weekend in July there is a State campground in Fair haven that is about five minutes away . Also we used to take our kids up to Old Forge they have a nice campground http://www.oldforgecamping.com right next door (you can walk the trails to it or take a shuttle) to a huge water park http://www.watersafari.com .

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #10

I assume you'll be taking I90 between Niagara Falls and NYC. That's the route we took last summer and we stayed at Darien Lake Theme Park Resort just East of Buffalo. We left wishing we had stayed more than the one night we did. If you're travelling with kids you won't regret it. They have a full range of campsites available and you can walk from your site in & out of the theme park to your hearts content.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #11

Like WNYTAXMAN already said the area around Watkins Glen and Letchworth is worth the trip. Lot's of winery's in that area it that's your thing.
If your going th Niagara Falls on the Canadian side you should go into Niagara-on -the- Lake. If you like visiting winery's there are plenty of them around there. If you get into Buffalo, going to Anchor Bar, which is where Buffalo Chicken wings originated is a must. If you have the time and want to go along the lake in Canada then cross over at the 1000 island bridge and visit Alexandrea Bay, one of my favorite spots in NY. Have a fantistic trip I know you will enjoy yourself
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #12

A real nice place to visit is Ausable Chasm in Au Sable N.Y. which is north of Lake George N.Y.. This is a Chasm cut into the earth millions of years ago, you can go down into the chasm and raft out or take a lantern tour at night. An RV park is close by. Well worth the visit. Lake George is a fun place for old and young with dinner boat cruises a six flags and local shops. Speed boat rentals paddle boats wind sailing etc. Very busy in the spring, summer and fall. Must make reservations at any of the RV parks. Have Fun!!
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #13

You didn't mention any specific interests, but about half-way between Niagara and NYC you will find the beautiful little village of Cooperstown, and the baseball Hall of Fame. Soccer hall of fame is also about 20 miles from there, too.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote