Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Newbie considering satellite TV reception

I do not have satellite TV reception in my 2012 Berk or home and have done some investigation; probably enough to be dangerous. Since I did not get an antenna mounted on the RV's roof my first questions are if it it is within reason to mount one on the roof, and what are the pros and cons of the roof-top versus the portable dish? I am not considering In-Motion and have read that the dome types are not as good as the naked antennas. I have seen non-dome antennas mounted on the roof.

I see where Weinguard's best portable antenna (TR-6100) does three satellites and will do HD (which I want), but only with Dish Network. Does Direct Tv do HD?

Do I need two receivers or a receiver with dual tuners to service the front and rear TV's?

What are the pros and cons between Direct TV and Dish? Your experiences, suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #2

We love HD TV but find we can live without it in our trailer. With 2 separate receivers dish is out of the question because of the satellite switching. I installed a Winegard RM DM46 dish on the roof and carry a portable dish to use when needed. A lot of people complain that when it's raining or morning dew they have to wipe down the dome to get reception. I've used this setup on many RVs over the years and found in our opinion to be the best of all worlds. I'm sure those with $2,000.00 domes on their motorhomes would differ and their probably right but our setup serves the purpose. On my last 5th wheel I had 3 separate receivers and 2 output jacks to allow neighbors to tap into my dish.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Direct TV does HD, but the antenna that's needed is pricey - while some of Wineguard's more affordable, such as the Carryout while do Dish HD from the get-go. We opted for Dish for a variety of reasons, less costly, monthly plans, more variety being among them. We also opted for the Carryout because it comes with a 50ft cord that allows you to place the antenna "wherever". Of course that doesn't help you a whole lot if "in motion" is a gotta have..... Wineguard has a great on-line brochure that breaks it all down
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

There are lots of threads on the forum here where you can research. Most likely, your questions and many more are answered there. Here's a recent thread with similar questions:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-55604.html

This is a forum search for the tag "satellite"
satellite - Forest River Forums - Threads Tagged with Satellite

In the end, you'll discover it's just an individual choice of Winegard on the roof ($$$), dome ($$), or portable ($). Ditto with Dish vs DirectTV. Folks that have one of these at home usually go with the same.

Good luck in your research!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

This is a very timely thread for us as we are considering switching from cable to satellite at home and we would like to be able to use the same receivers and a portable dish while travelling. At the risk of highjacking your thread would it be possible for some Canadian members to chime in to see what they do when travelling in the U.S.. If Bell satellite won't work there what do you use. I like the idea of a monthly plan as someone suggested if it is a sort of pay as you go or as you use it. It does not make good economic sense to purchase a full plan to use a few weeks a year. Besides I have been told they require a permanent U.S. address. We will be following this thread closely as long as it is active. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Old Guys,
This might be what you need.
http://www.dishformyrv.com/#sthash.uv4cKGuo.dpbs
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

My winegard traveler was not connected to the bedroom tv until the factory corrected it so I purchased the winegard razor portable antenna about $80.00 from camping world. I was surprised that most times I got at least 10 channels and the picture was clear. I just hang it in the small side bedroom window. I hope it will work with my little tv outside this summer. No monthly payments
Debbie
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

Thank you JWEDELL. That is a really good informative site and seems to be exactly what we require if it is necessary to purchase a second satellite option if it turns out Bell Satellite will not work in the U.S. Thanks for the input. (Old Guys) Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Then again, perhaps it is time for a paradigm change....

One of the perks of my job (For those who do not know, Yes I really am a Rocket Scientist ) Is we have a HUGE influx of young engineering talent. The team I mentor is a mix of interns, grad students, and they have a "old fart" member who is a ancient 32 years old

The advantage of this, however, is I am pretty much on the bleeding edge of all the new technology and....word on the 20-something street is Cable/Satellite is almost a dead technology. Current thought is 5 years tops and Comcast/DirecTV/WOWway et al will either go away or be completely transformed. OK, so transformed by what? The Internet my friends.

After chatting with my teammates and challenging them to design a system that would work for me here are a few solutions for ya'll to consider (NB: If you are a boondocker that camps away from cell service these solutions will probably not work for you):

For the "I GOTTA" have my cable TV because I need my series TV fix when I am on the road set:
DirecTV subscription with a Genie DVR and a GenieGO. You set your DVRs at home to record away whatever (and you can have up to 4 DVRs!). Your GenieGO connects to your home WIFI network and you access GenieGO from any WIFI hotspot and watch whatever you want that has been recorded on your DVRs. (https://support.directv.com/app/answ...go%E2%84%A2%3F)

Same as above but you want to stream live tv: Get a slingbox and hook it to your home cable receiver (any company) and access it via any WIFI hotspot. (www.slingbox.com)

Accessing content on your TV or Tablet in the RV without the above "pay-by-the-month cable accounts" is easy provided you have a WIFI access point. Here are 3 solutions. :

Google Chromecast (This requires your TV to have a HDMI input): (Chromecast)

Roku. One model works with virtually any TV, the newest "Dongle" plugs directly into a HDMI port on your TV): Roku Streaming Player

Apple TV. If you use Apple products and have a iTunes account with a lot of purchased content as we do, this is a great solution. In addition, the Apple TV allows you to stream content from your iPhone or iPad to the TV that is connected to the Apple TV (Apple - Apple TV - HD iTunes content and more on your TV.)

Our current solution is the Apple TV, because most places we stay at have free WIFI & Cable. In addition, if you are close enough to a town that has a TV, the antenna on your rig should pull in the local stations so you can watch them.

My team mates convinced me to pre-order a Roku stick. This device is just being released this week so I do not have it in hand yet. This $50 gadget plugs into the HDMI port of your TV and gives you access to Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, and a zillion other stations (most free and some are a pay per view or subscription). I'll let folks know how this works after our next trip APR 4th.

So, to recap, my current solution is a Apple TV + the newely acquired Roku Stick (total investment: $148). Those, plus my DW's and my iPads (which can stream to the TV through the Apple TV) - oh any my wife's Seagate Wireless 1TB "Media Server" drive (stores about 200 movies and TV shows for completely off-grid viewing - an additional $179 - Wireless Plus, Wireless Hard Drive, iPad Hard Drive | Seagate) work for us.

YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
Direct TV does HD, but the antenna that's needed is pricey
I would agree, *IF* you are only interested in an "automatic" antenna. If you are willing to use a "manual" antenna, then it can be pretty inexpensive. We see DirecTV HD dishes on Craigslist quite often for about $50 - $75, often with stand / tripod, LNB and cabling.

Ours was $50 and was a DirecTV SL3 Slimline, with a base, stand, SWiM SL3 LNB and 30' of cabling. This is perfect for us, because it's the same dish we have at home. That means we can take our HD DVR (HR3400) from the house and put it in the trailer and go. Setup is reasonably easy and usually takes about 10 - 15 minutes. We get All our recorded shows, HD and Local channels.

To further enhance the experience, we bought a "client" box (C-31), a power inserter (Pi-21), 2 way splitter, DVR power cord, 2 HDMI cables, 2 DirecTV remotes and installed all in the RV. We got the stuff from Amazon / ebay and I think we paid a total of about $100.

What we do it, simply unplug the DVR from the house, carry it to the RV and plug it in (all connections are already there now). Drive to our destination, set up camp, set up the antenna, pull up the Dish Aiming applet on the DVR, enter the zip code, use the coordinates to aim the dish (rough aim), use the signal strength applet on the DVR to make the fine tune and voila!

We have the same service we enjoy at home. AND with the extra client box, we can watch different things in the bedroom vs the living room.

Oh, and we also have PLEX Media server running on a laptop with a ROKU in the Living room and a Chromecast in the bedroom. This provides us with access to our collection of several hundred movies, Netflix or what ever else we feel like watching.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #11

BamaBob. HUh, say what. I am sure that is truly great stuff but like our name says.....what do us Old Guys do? Olds Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I would like to add a thought....

If choose a roof mount antenna, trees or structures MAY be an issue, depending on which RV location / site you choose.

If you choose a ground mount antenna, you MAY be able to overcome the roof mount limitation.

Just saying...

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
BamaBob. HUh, say what. I am sure that is truly great stuff but like our name says.....what do us Old Guys do? Olds Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Hi Brian and Joanne,

LOL . I am right up there in age with ya'll as well!

In my posts - if you see the blue text after each of my comments, those are links to the websites of the items I discussed.

Let's make it easy though...answer these questions and I will respond:
1. Do you always or mostly always camp at "full service" campgrounds (in other words, does the campground come with cable TV and internet)?

2. What do you typically like to watch on TV?

Cheers,

Bob
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #14

Another tip I have been using for a few years. When you aim a portable satellite dish the TV beeps. The faster the beep the stronger the signal. When you're far away from the RV you can't hear the beep. I use a baby monitor to hear it. I place the transmitter by the TV and clip the remote to my belt. Now as I adjust the dish I can hear the beeps and can adjust the volume so I don't bother the neighbors.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
I would like to add a thought....

If choose a roof mount antenna, trees or structures MAY be an issue, depending on which RV location / site you choose.

If you choose a ground mount antenna, you MAY be able to overcome the roof mount limitation.

Just saying...
Places like this.....

South is thru the trees at the front of the site. This our favourite site at the Inverhuron Provincial Park.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Hello BamaBob. When in Canada we usually camp in provincial parks (no cable or Wi-Fi)and some private campgrounds (often have 1 02 both). In the U.S. it is usually private campgrounds (almost always have both) and State Parks (you probably know what they have or have not got available). As to what we watch... I am a news junkie as well as nature stuff, documentaries, do it yourself stuff, collector type shows, PBS etc. Joanne is a Dancing with the Stars, my 600 lb. life, Gaither Gospel, Ellen, Dr. Oz., PBS, and most children's programming. When we have our grandson it is all Treehouse, PBS, TVO, and anything with cartoons on it. So I guess you would say wide ranging or even somewhat eclectic. Thanks for the suggestions. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Berkshire 390QS

We have both, satellite dish on roof and a tailgater for when trees etc block the roof mounted dish. We went with DISH Pay-as-you-go plan since we pay only when using it. Also purchased a reciever at camping world (model 211k dish) for $140 otherwise you will be charged $7 a month lease/rental. We have only one reciever since we usually watch the same shows anyway. Just a note, it's a no no with the feds to use a home account in a RV, but many do. Also your local stations at home will not be recieved once you get out of your local spot beam.

You only need two recievers if you want to see two different programs. Sometimes, one set will be using batwing antenna and one watching dish network.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Just a note, it's a no no with the feds to use a home account in a RV, but many do.
Say what??? Are you sure about that?? Since I'm fulltime (and Dish knows I'm fulltime in my MH) what other options do I have?? I have no PERMANENT physical address.

And why would the Feds care anyway?? Oh, wait..... That have their noses stuck into all manner of stuff that should be none of their business!!

Hey, NSA..... Are you getting this?? Well, then ^$@# all of ya's.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #19
Berkshire 390QS

FYI if you have a Dish Home Agreement, like most, who reads it.

in the Dish Network "HOME" contract:
When setting up your DISH Network account, you must provide us with the physical address where your Equipment will be located and your Services will be provided. A post office box does not meet this requirement. You must give us immediate notice of any change of name, mailing address, telephone number, or physical address where your Equipment is located. You may do this by notifying our customer service center by telephone or in writing at the phone number, mailing address, or e-mail address set forth at the top of this Agreement
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
We have both, satellite dish on roof and a tailgater for when trees etc block the roof mounted dish. We went with DISH Pay-as-you-go plan since we pay only when using it. Also purchased a reciever at camping world (model 211k dish) for $140 otherwise you will be charged $7 a month lease/rental. We have only one reciever since we usually watch the same shows anyway. Just a note, it's a no no with the feds to use a home account in a RV, but many do. Also your local stations at home will not be recieved once you get out of your local spot beam.

You only need two recievers if you want to see two different programs. Sometimes, one set will be using batwing antenna and one watching dish network.
i was under the impression that was only the case if you are in possession of dish owned equip...(leased or installed)..

also if you have a tailgaiter on your home account, dish specifically indicates you can use your home box if it meets the model requirements?

or are you referring to having a dish account and specifically NO home address......i mean dish even specifies that a po box does not constitute a home address....but again i think its an issue of having a physical location for thier property you may be leasing?

id be interested to read the federal regulations pertaining to using a home account in and rv...ive never seen it......and admit ive never really looked..?

now that i think about it, maybe your referring to programming that is exclusive to your local area....dma protected stuff? yes its illegal for dish to send programming into areas that are not allocated to recieve them (like blacked out sports programming and even local broadcasts) but taking your home configured account with you is not illegal......dish may not like it and want you to establish a HOME ZIP for all your recievers but its not a federal violation on the viewers part?
Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, reception, satellite, tv reception